LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
gt.rn
New User

Default Potential first luger: BYF 41. Advice?

New to the forums but have really gotten into milsurp rifles this past year and was close to pulling the trigger on my first pistol (p38) when this luger caught my eye. According to the owner who collects them, this is an all-matching (except for magazine) byf 41 p08 GI bringback (no import marks) that looks to be in excellent condition with approximately 80-90% bluing left. He has not fired it and it has supposedly sat in the holster for decades. He is including the hard shell case and takedown tool as well. Owner seems like a very straight up guy but still need to do my due diligence and would be nice to have some confirmation by the experts here if it's legit as well as fair pricing. Thanks again, hope to be a new luger owner soon!

gt.rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Start by studying the FAQ document on this site.

It will give you some background and help your judgement in buying a Luger.

What is the owner asking for it?

Check to make sure numbers inside the side plate relate to the first digits of the serial number.

If all matching and correct and in 85% or better it is collectible. Prices range quite a bit. I can't see clearly enough to judge finish or markings. There isn't enough detail in the photos. Try taking photos in natural lighting with about 1024 pixels on the longest photo axis.
Unread 08-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,082 Posts

and not as criticism but crop the picture down to just around the pistol and/or holster
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
4 Scale
User

Most collectors seem to prefer commenting on the price asked or paid vs. naming a value. That it has no import marks does not mean it was a bring-back, although it could be. Many Lugers were imported post-WWII before import stamps were required. Pictures of the magazine bottom and takedown tool would help. All that said, from what I can see it looks like a very good condition byf in original finish.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2017, 01:18 AM   #5
gt.rn
New User

Thanks for all the advice so far. Owner is asking $1500 for the Luger, case, and tool. I asked for better photos that clearly show proof marks/SNs but he's going to bring it by tomorrow for me to look at and said he'll break it down and show me how everything matches up. If truly all matching and correct then it seems like a steal particularly with the holster included.
Unread 08-16-2017, 03:02 AM   #6
RShaw
User

Hi! Welcome to the forum!
Looks like a nice gun

On pages 21, 22 of the FAQ's PDF file to be found in the New Collector Forum you will find a listing of the parts which should have the serial number. On pages 62 and further are diagrams showing what the parts look like. Very nice that the owner wants to break it down for you- that's unusual.... so would be good to watch the process and ask questions.
(link here below- pdf at the bottom)
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13121

Is there only one magazine? There are usually two.... The magazine serial number is on the bottom of the base. An unmarked mag could well be the spare. (Experts out there- please correct if needed?)

Anyway- $1500 seems quite fair.... if indeed all matching and good finish, good bore.
Perhaps you should look at the finish very carefully- if it has been stored in the holster "for decades" - the finish may be compromised.
Any information on provenance and history of ownership would be useful of course. Why is this collector selling this piece?

Another question, Are you considering buying this gun to start a collection? or because you want to shoot it?
Reason I'm asking is that I bought my first Luger late last year to shoot, but my gun turns out to be more of a collector's item. Details here below, if you like:
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36379

So I was confronted with the question of shooting a collector's item.... is that a "good idea" or "rather not?"
That question has been dealt with extensively, with many Luger enthusiasts on both sides. Threads for your consideration here below:
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36411
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...highlight=poll

Good luck on your first of probably of several more Lugers !
(Since then I have found a nice shooter)
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36454

Enjoy yourself

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw

Last edited by RShaw; 08-16-2017 at 04:05 AM.
RShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 08-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
lugercollector
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Is the bore good?.....the gun looks original to me.....price is fair.....
lugercollector is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugercollector for your post:
Unread 08-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
Major Tom
User

If this pistol turns out to be as described by owner, I would consider it a collector pistol. I'd be very careful with shooting it because of numbered parts breakage. A true shooter would be a very mismatched numbers gun because if a part breaks it can be replaced with no worries about originality. Lugers are a pleasure to shoot. I have 2 of them, all matching numbers. I do shoot them occasionally tho but worry about breakage. A rough, grossly mismatched shooter can be found for $700.
Unread 08-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
gt.rn
New User

Again thanks for all the continued advice. The bore is supposedly pristine and despite some holster wear on the muzzle and side plate he still rates the finish at about 90%. He's had it for a few months and said he's selling because he prefers long rifles and an expensive piece in particular that he needs funding for. To be honest I'm not completely sure what i intend to do with it. When i was looking at a p38 my plan was to shoot it, and then i found a commercial 1920 all matching 7.65 'shooter' luger for around 950 right before finding this one. I rationalized that factoring the holster and the fact that it's a mauser (more durable?), an extra couple hundred getting me a wartime p08 was just a better deal. That said i currently do not own any safe queens and prefer to shoot and enjoy every gun i own, even if it's just a few rounds every now and then. Resale-ability/appreciation of these glorious pieces of history is just an added bonus that allows me to retain less guilt over purchasing these things as well as diversifying assets in a much more fun way. I think largely i saw this and did not want it to get away seeing as i've always wanted one, not knowing how often and easily things like this come along. So partially opportunistic and partially due to genuine interest. So i really appreciate any words of wisdom on this.
Unread 08-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

[Q. I think largely i saw this and did not want it to get away seeing as i've always wanted one, not knowing how often and easily things like this come along. So partially opportunistic and partially due to genuine interest. So i really appreciate any words of wisdom on this.[/QUOTE]

There are hundreds of lugers for sale at any given time.
This one is not scarce, both condition and price are kind of - well average. There are better and worse, scarcer and more common, cheaper , expensive, and a few bargains at any given time.

So if you want one, specifically this one- buy it;
but not as an investment or because it is "more sturdy" or you think it is the last chance you will have at a luger! JMHO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #11
K.Wilhelm
User

Default Go for it!

Your pictures aren't the best; but from what I see, I would jump on the deal with both feet before someone else does. Of course, I really like the byf coded Mauser Lugers! Once you get the '41 you'll have to have a '42 to keep it company. Good luck and keep us posted. Bill
The following member says Thank You to K.Wilhelm for your post:
Unread 08-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I think the price is fair.
I'd pay that at a gun show for this set.

Buying advice:
It's a good year, it's got nice proof marks, and it might even clean-up a bit more.
Most of us try to buy a gun with a few days to look it over (not to shoot it).
While the holster looks great to me, I wouldn't keep the gun in it any longer.

and keep an eye on this web site.
I've seen some pretty nice pistols sell fast!
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #13
Eugen
User

Thumbs up

Looks good to me. I'd buy it. You could counter offer to see if you could get it a little lower. But, $1500 is within a reasonable range for it, especially if the mags are period correct for it.
Unread 08-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
RShaw
User

gt.rn,

Sounds like you may well have a chance at a nice collector's piece which will be a good place to park $1500 for a while. If you get the itch to shoot, then you have the commercial 1920 all matching 7.65 'shooter.' You sound like more of a shooter.... (that describes me too) but having collector's pieces as a "fun investment" (I only have 1 right now) is something I am only now discovering.

I have an ac43 P38 shooter which keeps me away from my collector's Luger, and I will be able to take home my shooter Luger very soon now, once the papers go through.

Meanwhile, see what you think of the different viewpoints presented in the "shooting collector's pieces" threads... and then.... make up your own mind.

Would be very nice to know what you decide!! We're all curious

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw
Unread 08-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #15
RShaw
User

Gt.rn.....
So????
What's happening??
Looks good
Unread 08-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #16
gt.rn
New User

UPDATE

Thanks for everyone's help. This may kick off yet another addiction because i can't stop looking and playing with this thing. It really is more stunning in person

The following 3 members says Thank You to gt.rn for your post:
Unread 08-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Congrats on your FIRST Luger. From what I can see, I think that you did just fine. Different parts of the Country demand different prices on Lugers, and you were able to have a face to face with the owner, and look it over, prior to purchase. Enjoy it!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2017, 04:02 AM   #18
RShaw
User

Now the fun is just beginning!! Nice addition!
Unread 08-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #19
alvin
User

A good one, not a top one. For $1500, I would think you can shoot it occasionally. It's in sports guns price range. If you can suppress down $100 or $200, that's even better. If cannot, not a big deal. Buy one and enjoy it a little bit.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
RShaw
User

Nice 1911 too