LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-01-2001, 11:04 PM   #1
Kyle

Default Luger Jamming

I got my Luger (I asked some questions about it a few weeks ago) and it turned out to be (according to the Luger handbook) a 1920's military police with 95% bluing in 'good to excellent condition. I took it to the range, and, as a poster said below, after some oooing and awwing and pushing back the people salvating over it, I loaded it up (new mags) and started to fire. Well, the first 3 rounds went ok then..jam. The bolt slides down over the bullet and shoves it up and almost out of the receiver. Like it's not giving the bullet enough time to come up. It did this a few times, someone who knew about Lugers told me they do this a lot. I said Ok and went on firing. I went back the next day and the clip I used did this every shot. I switched to the other clip.put through 15 rounds, no jams. I was using 115 grain Winchester FMJ (yes, I know not to use hollow point) 9mm Luger rounds. I read in your forums archives to use 124 grain. I'll try that (Winchester makes it). Do Lugers naturally jam a lot or is mine perhaps somewhat broken, or is my clip bad? I have 90 days of free gun smithing ( I told you I bought it a great shop) if there's a problem. What a good ammo to use? I'll use the one good clip (the spring seems tighter on it) and that one seems to have no problems. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Unread 10-01-2001, 11:30 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: Luger Jamming

I bet the mag spring is weak!

Unread 10-01-2001, 11:34 PM   #3
Kyle

That's what I'm thinking. I've been reading some more, I'll try some stronger ammo in it too....I love the pistol though, it feels so natural. That and making other shooters jaws drop when I pull it out. Then they come and see that it hasn't been reblued, and their jaws drop again.

Unread 10-02-2001, 12:09 AM   #4
66mustang

Of the two Lugers I have shot, one jams much more often than the other. The artillery I have will fire lead and hollow points much more often and when I had some machine gun 9 MM, then fed like a son of gun through it. (I didn't fire than many through it, she's been reblued, but otherwise is all matching).

So, my point is that with good magazines and smoothed feeding ramps, my expericne has shown that Lugers feed fairly well, although my 4 inch jams much more often than the other.

Ed

Unread 10-02-2001, 10:25 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

You should use the same ammo that works fine in the good mag and either replace the mag that jams or try an new spring (wolf springs) until the same ammo works in that one too.

-John

Unread 10-02-2001, 05:04 PM   #6
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

There is no reason to accept that the luger is jamming.

I see 3 very common problems.

bad mag

weak ammo

too strong recoilspring

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

Unread 10-02-2001, 06:49 PM   #7
Kyle

Is the spring hard to replace? I might try that if stronger ammo doesn't work...

Unread 10-02-2001, 06:51 PM   #8
Kyle

Gah, sorry, forgot to add it...what's a good new market mag to try? The one that works is a Mec-Gar...

Unread 10-03-2001, 01:28 AM   #9
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

I always recomend new mags, espesially since lugermags gets so battered when shooting with them.

Personally i use Tripple K mags.

The spring is a bit tricky to replace, but its no problem.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

Unread 10-03-2001, 02:39 AM   #10
Kyle

Ok, thanks. I'm going to the Del Mar Gun Show on Sat..I'll pick up some 124 grain 9mm and I'll order a new spring from Wolff (what size etc do I need for a 4 inch Luger). One more thing...HÃ?Â¥kan (You've been VERY helpfull by the way.., and I thank you)..is 124 grain big enough? Should I look for a higher grain? And...are the 147 grain Hydra Shok Federal rounds ok to shoot? It's not ball pointed so I'm assuming no...

--Kyle

Unread 10-03-2001, 02:47 AM   #11
Thor
User

IMO, the 124 gr is perfect! I prefer the 115 over the 147 because it is closer (9 vs 25) in weight to the original loading. I believe Wolff provides a 5 or 10% over std weight for the mag spring. You really need a loading tool with these if you are shooting more than a few magazine's worth, they are hard to compress. Thor

Unread 10-03-2001, 11:36 AM   #12
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

I think the 124 gr bullets will be enough for you.

I havent ever used any heavyer my self.

Mostly of my shooing is done with 124 gr bullets.

But my gun have been shoot a lot with submachinegun ammo to with 105 grain ammo.But this is aboslutley not recomend.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

http://www.vapensmedjan.com