LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 08-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Default Hoyt Weathers's 20DWM

Pictures posted for Hoyt--Part 1

--Dwight

Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Pictures posted for Hoyt--Part 2

Unread 08-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Pictures posted for Hoyt--Part 3 (last part)

Unread 08-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Hoyt,

Thanks very much for this extensive, detailed photo study. The multiple-number stampings on some of the parts is cause for serious reflection.

--Dwight
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I beleive that this is a reworked military gun that was eventuallly imported into the USA... The misalignment of the witness marks means the barrel was removed at some point and either replaced or reinstalled... It also looks like the stock lug was ground off at some point. As was any chamber marking... the size and impression of the number stamps seems to be inconsistent.

The gun appears to be improperly assembled in the top photos because the upper assembly is in the rear position... likely that the mainspring hooks have not been engaged before closing the takedown lever...

Once properly assembled, it will be a fine shooter... or if you want to make it pretty, send it off to Ted Green (THOR) for a beauty shop treatment...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Hoyt Weathers
User

Dwight,

Thank you so much for down-sizing my pics and putting them into a logical order of sequence. The pictures were shot starting with the little parts and tiny markings and ending with the assembled pistol. I especially appreciate your inverting one image to see the number 81 properly rather than upside down.

You said:

"The multiple-number stampings on some of the parts is cause for serious reflection."

Thank you for that comment, but why does that happen?. I do not understand the relationship of multipe-number stampings and serious reflection. 'Splain that tummy. I thought it was more a matter of the primary light angle [ sunlight on an overcast day ] onto the number stampings and thense the reflected angle into the camera lens. I do agree that the small parts with two or more stampings are not in good focus.
I admit being a beginner on this. I need more practice with focus and to *discard* more unacceptable shots.

TKX again for your tremendous help in getting my pictures onto this Forum.

I am running a Mac G4 and need some freebie download photo software to down size the pics myself. I need to check the Apple site to see what is on offer for MOS Tiger 10.4.2

Hoyt Weathers
Trinity, Alabama
Unread 08-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Hoyt Weathers
User

To John Sabato:

You are quite correct that the pistol was not assembled properly. There is my starting thread on this matter at:

http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5452
Unread 08-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Hoyt Weathers
User

To Dwight,

Upon taking a deep breath, I believe I did not understand your intended meaning of:

"The multiple-number stampings on some of the parts is cause for serious reflection."

Originally, I took that as an optical phyics situation and replied in that vein.
Now, I understand your words to mean that those stampings are perhaps fertile ground for the experts to ponder over.

Therefore, disregard part of my previous reply to you above.

Hoyt Weathers
Unread 08-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
Dwight Gruber
User

Hoyt,

Yes, particularly the trigger and breechblock which have two sets of numbers.

The question, ultimately, is, how much of DWM's postwar commercial production was done from newly-produced parts, and how much from recycled or from-the-shelf military parts stock?

The front of the frame with the serial number looks like it has been faced off a bit, like a previous serial number was removed before assembly. It will be interesting to see the same area once the frame and receiver have been properly assembled, to see if the front of the breechblock sticks out a bit from the frame.

It appears that John S's comment about a ground stock lug may be a good one.

--Dwight
Unread 08-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Hoyt Weathers
User

Dwight, I can take one or more close-ups of the rear of the grip where the stock lug usually is. The blueing is totally gone. As in NONE anywhere. Those pics will probably be in the 64 to 88 KB range, so I should be able to post them myself as images in another message in this thread. They may be posted Saturday or Sunday. Insha'Allah [ God Willing ]. ( I worked in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia for three years after I retired from NASA in Huntsville, Alabama. )

Hoyt Weathers
Unread 08-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
Hoyt Weathers
User

Default Almost there

To all:

I am now at the point of trying to get the recoil spring assembly installed. I have two questions:

1. The hook on the upper end of the recoil spring guide bar should *face* which way - toward the muzzle OR toward the rear?

2. How do you guys get the recoil spring assembly *compressed* enough to get her back into the proper position?

At present I am using a small needle-nose pliers and a drill bit small enough in diameter to go through the hole in bottom end of the guide bar.

I have read that this is a [bad wordbad word of a job to get back into proper position. I can now confirm that.

All suggestions on a feasible solution to my present problem will be appreciated.

Regards,
Hoyt Weathers
Unread 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
Hairy
User

Take a look at and copy Thor's instructions in the Technical Information Section.

Thor was kind enough to provide explicit instructions on how to replace the mainspring. Following them makes the job easier. I've now been able to replace the guide and mainspring in about 15 minutes. Thank you Thor!
Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote