LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Kolos
User

Default Please identify P08 by Mauser for newbie.

After reading forum topics I think my Luger is Police model made by Mauser, what did you think about mismatched number 69 (last two digits everywhere is 78)? What can be the reason? This pistol comes to our family from Berlin at 1946 and only few weeks ago become mine.

With respect.
Kolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Herb
User

Kolos, you are correct, it's a Mauser Banner Police first issue in the x suffix. The S/42 stamping on the bottom of the barrel probably indicates that the barrel is a Mauser replacement part. That may account for no serial number on the barrel bottom. I also cannot find any information on the Nazi eagle proof on the left side of the reciever. As to the trigger plate being a different number, many Germans when captured and told to hand over their weapons would remove the trigger plate and throw it away making the pistol usless until a replacement part was found. In this case the replacement part was from another Luger and not a new one from an armorer. I'm not an authority on police Lugers but I believe this info is correct.
Unread 11-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

Kolos,

Your pistol looks like it needs a good cleaning and there may be active areas of rust that should be addressed so the rust and pitting does not continue.

Author Jan C. Still in his book on the Third Reich Lugers on page 139 estimated (in 1988 when the book was printed) that there were approximately 1,115 lugers similar to yours made IN 1941 (i.e. Mauser Banner, 1941 dated, eagle/L proofs, sear safety).

Here are some photos on this USA luger dealer's web site, that shows a luger similar to your luger, but not was worn as yours.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2223
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:09 AM   #4
Kolos
User

Thanks a lot for your help! Maybe some advises for new Luger user? Types of cleaning solvents? To clean grips or to leave them alone and to made nice one replicas from oak? Maybe you can show me some examples of displays (boxes etc.) for my Luger?
Unread 11-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

Kolos,

Since you live out of the USA in Kiev, I would not make recommendations for cleaing products made in the USA that may not be avaible in your country. Most USA suppliers will usually not ship out-of-country as well...since many such products are of a "hazardous" materiel.

You might contact a local collector-grade gun shop in your country to ask what cleaning and lubrication products they could recommend for your luger. A gunsmith working with restoration work would also be a good person to contact and ask as well.

You might want to seek out a 1941-dated police luger to go along with your luger. They are consistently available on e-Bay and probably at local gun shows in your home town.
Unread 11-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Great photos KOLOS, thanks much for sharing with us.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 02:10 AM   #7
Kolos
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ebbink
Kolos,

Since you live out of the USA in Kiev, I would not make recommendations for cleaing products made in the USA that may not be avaible in your country. Most USA suppliers will usually not ship out-of-country as well...since many such products are of a "hazardous" materiel.
There is a lot of Global and US chemistry here, and I travel a lot around the world so itâ??s not a problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ebbink

You might want to seek out a 1941-dated police luger to go along with your luger. They are consistently available on e-Bay and probably at local gun shows in your home town.
Sorry? Maybe I donâ??t understand but - for what purpose I need another one police Luger?
Unread 11-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
Ron Smith
User

Hi Kolos,

I believe that Pete may have meant to say a 1941 Police Luger Holster(?).

Congratulations on your scarce variation 1941 police luger.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #9
Pete Ebbink
User

Kolos,

Yes...I meant to write a 1941 dated holster...

Here is a product line I use and like...

http://www.tetraproducts.com/products.asp
Unread 11-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #10
Kolos
User

Ok, today was a shooting day, I made a little video, then bought all cleaning line by Liqui-Moly and Walther. Now I looking for holster, but it`s not very easy in country where more then 85 years personal pistols was under the total ban.
I have another newbie question - are there any places over WWW where Luger owners exchange their mismatching parts?
Unread 11-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolos
are there any places over WWW where Luger owners exchange their mismatching parts?
Kolos,

This Luger Forum is about the best place for acquiring parts. Post your needs in the "Classified" forums.

It is interesting that you own a Luger, you live in a place which most of us here know little about. Could you please tell us the history of gun ownership laws in Ukraine, and what the laws are now?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #12
Kolos
User

I with pleasure give some information about gun ownership law in Ukraine. A little historical note: Independence from USSR was proclaimed at 1991, Ukraine is one from 15 ex USSR republics. Ukraine is the most eastern country in Europe, more eastern then Poland and Hungary. Today is a buffer zone between Russian Federation and European Union. In USSR times citizens can buy and store weapons only for hunting (no self defense, no sporting or recreational shooting), so pistols was only in Militia (Police), KGB and Military services. As for now, gun ownership law is milder then in Russian Federation â?? Ukrainians can buy weapons for any purpose (to acquire license you must be older then 21 y.o. and have no criminal records). But it concerning only â??long weaponsâ? (shotguns, rifles, carbines) â?? the senseless of the law is â?? You can buy AKMS (AKM with folding stock) and plink for your pleasure, but EVERY gun or revolver is under the ban. So â?? 7.62x39 or 7.62x54 or .300WM Welcome, but .22 lr pistol or revolver is prohibited. Exceptions only for some Officers of some departments and license for them write down personally the minister of internal affairs. So sad things are going today in Ukraine. But thousands of trophy guns from WW2 are stored at private collections, waiting for an adequate law. Maybe I first member from Ukraine but I hope that not the last.
Unread 11-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
sambuscemi
User

Kolos: I just got back from the Ukraine myself. I spent two weeks there in Donetsk, Mariupol, Odessa and Kiev. I went with my son on business and have to say it was a very enjoyable trip. My sight seeing was restricted to the time I had left at the end of the trip in Kiev. I went to the war museum, the old villages of the east I think their called, real old. And the monastary with its underground caverns. Overlooked the city from near the presidential palace and took in some of the local cuisine. I found the food to be the best in both Odessa on the Black Sea and in Donetsk. Someday I hope to go back. It was not as much a cultural shock as China was because I think both Russians and Ukrainians are more western than the Chinese. It was a nice place to spend time in.
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #14
Kolos
User

Very nice! So every Luger owner from this forum can contact me before his visit to Ukraine, and if I should be at home (not in Liberia, Sierra-Leone or Kosovo) we can spent a time firing from my little collection of Russian military weapon and my old\new Luger of course Trips to mountains and seas, ancient fortress and post cold war special centers are included!
Unread 11-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Kolos, I never said , WELCOME to the forum! You can find police holsters on USA e-bay, or buy them from members here on the forum?

Of course, an older police holster would also be "correct", as the police used the holsters in stock, and previous holsters could/would have been available.

Your invitation sounds wonderful, i love history, and Kiev would be fascinating.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2005, 08:06 PM   #16
Sgt Art
User

Kolos, with respect to your question regarding cleaning, I would suggest plain kerosene mixed with automatic transmission fluid if nothing else is available. The kerosene is excellent for cutting through grease and carbon fouling and the auto transmission fluid is high in detergeant. Neither will harm the bluing however I would not get it on the wood grips. Both should be easy to find almost anywhere. I would not recommend using gasoline (petrol) because it is too dangerous. If you are shooting ammunition that has corrosive primers, clean the bore and breech area with just plain water. That's right, water will neutralize the corrosive salts from the primers. Then clean as you normally would.

It's always nice to hear from collectors from other parts of the world. Thanks for sharing your gun with us.
Sgt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2005, 09:37 PM   #17
Freischtz
User

I believe you will find
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
interesting. It contains instructions for "Ed's Red" (a good bore cleaner)and other homemade firearms products.
Freischtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #18
Kolos
User

My Luger becomes real Peacekeeper (maybe first UN Luger ever), so it receive new appartments.
Unread 11-24-2005, 02:20 AM   #19
Kolos
User

A little piece of history, my grandfathers photos â?? one of them captured this Luger, today is hard to say which exactly.

Unread 12-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #20
p8riot
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolos
Very nice! So every Luger owner from this forum can contact me before his visit to Ukraine, and if I should be at home (not in Liberia, Sierra-Leone or Kosovo) we can spent a time firing from my little collection of Russian military weapon and my old\new Luger of course Trips to mountains and seas, ancient fortress and post cold war special centers are included!
I would like that. My wife and I will be travelling to Ukraine sometime in the next year to adopt a child. We also have friends from the US who are missionaries in Kiev.

I am not a Luger owner (yet). But am gathering collectibility information for a friend who is. The more I read here, the more Lugers (and their owners) fascinate me and I will most likely buy one soon, if the right one presents itself.

Best regards,

Kevin
p8riot is offline   Reply With Quote