LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 05-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
argie1891
User

Default help with snail drum mag. with loader

i have listed what i think is a type 1 snail drum with dust cover and loading tool on gunbroker. i really dont know much about it and am wondering if anyone on the forum could let me know if i am correct in my listing. the item number is
i really like to be correct when i list an item. thanks in advance
argie1891
argie1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
LU1900
User

The loader is BING , but the trommel is AEG , seems a nice one , both items look like original one's for me
Only one model for AEG in all production
Adapt for the MP18 and schultzkappe are also good
A very nice rig .
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Just a bit of protocol, but it is customary for site members to offer Luger collectables here before posting them to the net, especially if you are here asking for advice.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
calibrator
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Just a bit of protocol, but it is customary for site members to offer Luger collectables here before posting them to the net, especially if you are here asking for advice.
I see your point. "argie" should have used better psychology for his first posting. If he would have posted his pics here first, asking about what he had, he would have made a better impression and have likely gotten an appraisal also.

I really appreciate having this site to offer my unneeded parts so other collectors can be helped as I help myself fund my needed parts.

However, it does seem that a person is usually likely to realize a better selling price when people from a broader range bid against each other. I know I've often amazed myself at what some of my "stuff" sold for on E-bay.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
argie1891
User

am sorry I thought I was making a mistake in listing the magazine without getting more information. I didn’t know about this site. after listing I got to thinking and looked for a luger forum. again I am very sorry if I broke protocol. my shooting is mostly military rifles with cast bullets. I like Mausers, Swiss and Russian the most. when it comes to lugers I am just beginning to learn a little. truth be told I flat cant afford them. again I hope the site members will forgive me for not asking before I listed it on gun broker. argie1891
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
LU1900
User

We don't fall from the last rain as we said in France !
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by argie1891 View Post
am sorry I thought I was making a mistake in listing the magazine without getting more information. I didn’t know about this site. after listing I got to thinking and looked for a luger forum.
This forum gets the occasional new member who has a Luger and wants to know its history, if it's genuine, what it is worth, if it is original, what certain markings mean, etc. He then lists it on GB with the information he gained here. Sometimes they refer to the specific thread here, to lend it credibility. To view threads/posts here, you have to be a registered member. This practice makes for parties interested in that one Luger to join just to see the pics and discussion here of that particular item.

This is annoying to members and officials of this site for several reasons. The seller is getting free LugerForum.com picture hosting, appraisal services, identification of his Luger, opinions on its relative condition, probable history, even year/month of manufacture. All without contributing by joining in the general discussion of all aspects of Luger collecting. They are also attracting potential buyers here who join just to see that particular item, and then never come back again. We have a sizable number of members here who joined years ago and have never posted or even returned here again.

So for someone to list a Luger on GB and then join this forum and ask for opinions on it raises certain red flags as to their motive.

This also has occasional hilarious consequences, such as the occasional 'mechanic' (a maker or seller of fraudulent/reproduced/fake items or Lugers) who wants the forum members to authenticate his 'boosted' (faked) Luger or item. Some common items are Death's Head Lugers, Russian Contract Lugers, "SS" or Luftwaffe Lugers, long barreled Lugers, Navy Lugers...Any Luger worth more than its face value...The seller wants authentication...OR...He is looking to hone his trade (boosting) by identifying the flaws in his work...It gets funny when he is caught out in an obvious fake and tries to defend it by attacking the credibility of the enlightened membership here...

It can also be sad, as in the case of a member who bought two 'rare' Lugers at a gun show from the alleged son of the soldier who liberated them and is sure they are worth tens of thousands...We really don't know if he was 'taken' or if he was looking to sell fakes to unknowing buyers, as he left and has not been heard from since...

I am not saying that is the case here, just that some of the more cynical members could view it that way...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
argie1891
User

wow all i wanted to do is make sure that my description was correct and this looked like the place to find out. i did not hide the facts at all. there was no intent to anger or upset anyone. and as you said many members never come back i now know why. if everyone on this forum questions every new member this way i can understand why they never post again. i know i wont. i would thank the group but as my question really hasent been answered i will just say good buy and yes thanks for doing your best making me feel welcome on your forum.
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
...as you said many members never come back i now know why. if everyone on this forum questions every new member this way i can understand why they never post again.
They never come back because they never had any interest in joining in the discussions...they followed a Google link and found they had to join to read the thread, so they did, and then left...

Quote:
i would thank the group but as my question really hasent been answered i will just say good buy and yes thanks for doing your best making me feel welcome on your forum.
You have no location, no interests, you ask the forum to check your For Sale thread on another site and you think *I* have an attitude???

I'm not a mod or site owner; it is not my forum...I explained why you might not get the quick answers you wanted...

I'm also not the most popular member here; stick around, and one of The Grumpy Bunch will surely give me some smackdown and answer your request fully and promptly...
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Waiting for the Grumpy Bunch...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,594 Times in 931 Posts

I don't wish to appear "grumpy", but on reading through this thread, I think the response to Argie's first posting has been a little unfair and certainly unwelcoming. One can hardly expect a new member to have "contributed to the discussion of all aspects of Luger collecting"! I believe in cutting a newcomer some slack.
So, Argie, if you are still with us, I'd like to discuss your interesting drum and loader. If LU1900 thinks your drum is an AEG, he must have better eyes than I have. Can you post clearer photos of the top of the drum and top and bottom views of the loader handle? In your first photo it looks like the seam in the loader handle is on top, not on the bottom. If so, it was assembled upside down. Also, if the drum is marked B/N, as you say, and it turns out to be AEG, then something is very wrong.
Regards, Norm
P.S. A belated welcome to the forum!
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
argie1891
User

i do have an interest in all miltary firearms. my collection does not have a luger in it and i would be afraid to buy one because i dont know enough about them. there are milatary firearms that are parts guns and worth only the shooting value and a small amount of ( i got one and you dont) without a forum like this one how can anyone take the risk and purchase a luger on faith. i am sure there have been cases where some dishonest seller has put a long barrel on a plain parts gun and called it an artilery luger.. a bit about myself. i am 64 yrs old have been on disability for well it will be 20 years next october. money is a bit tight.. that being said i have been able to find funds to purchase a remington rolling block argentine in 11mm spanish. a german 71-84 both with mint bores. a springfield o3a3 and yes it dosent look like it but it is a parts gun i put the parts on it myself. all are remington. a winchester m1 carbine and a garande i cant spell but i try. now the above is not to brag but to let the group that i have an interest in miltary firearms. so far i have never met anyone who would not want a luger if one could be found that was affordable. tomorrow i will try to post some better pictures. and as i said in past posts i was not trying to upset anyone. seems to me a lot of people dont come back as you have to be a member to read anything on the forum.. if i person just dosent click with the forum or whatever they wont come back. i am a member of several forums i only post when i think i can add something to the conversation. i read try to learn and mostly just like to get along. i have a life long love for the shooting sports but would rather shoot a firearm made prior to ww11. now i have been longer winded than i ever am. if you want me to leave the forum just tell me or the moderator can delete me with a stroke of the keyboard. argie1891
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Argie,

I do apologize if I came off as unwelcoming. What we usually see is what the guys described, people looking for provenance or bona fides for their Luger item and then going away. After years of membership here, there is no doubt in my mind that what you will receive here is real world, honest advice with no intent in benefiting from you in any way. You are welcome to stay, learn and contribute whenever you can, (we discuss a wide range of topics here and everybody on earth knows something others don't).
If you need to get max value for an item and therefore don't wish to offer it here first, that is understandable and will not ruffle anybody here as long as you are upfront about it.
What we like to see is transparency and honesty from all members, so I'm sure you will fit in nicely.
Again, welcome aboard!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Argie

Welcome to the Forum. Bill
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome to the forum. There is a vast amount of knowledge among this forum's members.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
argie1891
User

i am still trying to get the better pictures but we are having company from alaska and my wife thinks i should help around the house.. i think she is being a bit narrow minded but what can i do. she has given me several firearms for birthday, annaversy christmas and valentines and i dont want to lose her after 45 years. lets see she gave me a smith model 28, ruger mk1 marlin cowboy in 38-55 a sks fox double colt gold cupto name a few. i gave here snow tires so she could get back and forth to work. i think that is a fair trade off what do you think?? if i take her into a gun store and look at a gun i have to be careful or the next thing i know she buys it for me. ohwell maybe i wont beat her this week. argie1891
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
i am still trying to get the better pictures but we are having company from alaska and my wife thinks i should help around the house.. i think she is being a bit narrow minded but what can i do. she has given me several firearms for birthday, annaversy christmas and valentines and i dont want to lose her after 45 years. lets see she gave me a smith model 28, ruger mk1 marlin cowboy in 38-55 a sks fox double colt gold cupto name a few. i gave here snow tires so she could get back and forth to work. i think that is a fair trade off what do you think?? if i take her into a gun store and look at a gun i have to be careful or the next thing i know she buys it for me. ohwell maybe i wont beat her this week. argie1891

+ another welcome wish...
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
SIGP2101
User

Quote:
Thanks for the chuckle this morning, and welcome.

SIGP2101
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

argie1891 -

I rose up off my deathbed today to check out a couple examples of people who have posted pics of their 'rare finds' and their reaction when they are told the Luger they have may be a fake...It is interesting that one person requests pics of how a correct tool should look...

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=28471

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=28472

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=28775

I'm not suggesting that your item is in any way incorrect; just that circumstances can often breed doubt...

You'll note that in the three threads, some very knowledgeable members have offered opinions, both yea and nay...But at the end, after discussion, all members seem to be in agreement...
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #20
argie1891
User

Default pics of snail drum

first attempt to up load pics. that were requested by a fourm member hope it works. grand son and his spouse left i will miss them we shot up a lot of ammo while they were here. i think their favorite was the 2 25-20 rifles i have. one a model 44 stevens the other a savage model 23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snaildrum11.1 013.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	33894  

Name:	snaildrum11.1 011.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	33895