LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   .30 cal Carbine loads (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42217)

reiver 07-07-2023 04:01 PM

.30 cal Carbine loads

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a 12" commercial 1920's Luger and can't get this to cycle either.
I loaded up some rounds with 90 gn. XTP with accurate #2 (faster than I'd like but what I had on hand) at 4.3/4.4/4.5 grains (4.5 being the max noted in the book).
Nada, even after I replaced the spring with the wolff weaker one.

Case remains in the chamber...when cocked by hand it properly ejects...no attempt at double feed or stovepipe so not enough recoil.

The action is smooth and the pistol in good shape....any load suggestions.

BTW, I have 30 days to return so there is that.

tomaustin 07-07-2023 05:57 PM

did the seller point out this "quirk" to you...?

Edward Tinker 07-07-2023 09:07 PM

I've had trouble with anything over 12 inches. I do have a 9mm 12 inch that was tuned by a gunsmith and works well, but I personally have never been able to do it worth a darn.

reiver 07-07-2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 347703)
I've had trouble with anything over 12 inches. I do have a 9mm 12 inch that was tuned by a gunsmith and works well, but I personally have never been able to do it worth a darn.

Ed, I got my 9mm 12 in. working great with 115 gn. Win white box..

However, the .30 cal is a bit dif and obviously a lighter load.... I wonder what they initially used in these to make them cycle. They sold enough of them.

This is an original barrel and marked as such...the only thing I can figure is a much lighter spring but then you'd need the forward assist on closing. I've heard PPU ammo does the trick but who knows?

LU1900 07-08-2023 06:19 AM

PPU works fine in my 1920 carbine , spring original

reiver 07-08-2023 09:06 PM

This one is going back...purchased from Joe Salter Jr. Firearms. He had it listed and he accepted my offer below the list price...but reasonable.
He shipped it the next day.... when I had issues he did not question or whatever, he said to shoot it and see etc.
When I decided I wanted to return the pistol he said no problem, unconditional 30 day return, he apologized for my time etc...then sent a mailer/label and is giving a 100% refund.

Honest and upright individual.

Edward Tinker 07-09-2023 12:28 AM

Joe is a great guy

reiver 07-09-2023 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 347712)
Joe is a great guy

My first deal with him but imo he is...I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

reiver 07-09-2023 12:24 PM

There was a unique issue with this L PO8.... when I disassembled to inspect/clean the rear toggle bolt fell out in my lap even tho the pistol was flat. The top hat extension that keeps it in place had been worn off. Not ground off but gouged off...you could see little chip marks all the way around the area where the extension should have been.
The barrel extension was overly loose in the frame front and rear. Side to side movement.
I'm wondering if it 'chattered' when shooting allowing the bolt to stand a bit proud?

Have you ever seen that kind of wear? What may have caused it?