LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   41 mauser issues (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39890)

Sky Zero 09-18-2019 08:59 PM

41 mauser issues

Ok, I started a new thread!

Here's the issues I'm having with what I believe might be a force matched 41 byf:

Stovepiping - Every time I shoot it, I get a few mags that have 1-3 stovepipes per bag. I have multiple mags, including mec-gar mags, and they all do the same thing. I get tons of brass pieces scattered throughout the internals after shooting, so I don't know if the bullet casing indentations are causing pieces to fly off it? I don't know. The extractor is new, courtesy of GT. I use Winchester White Box, of course. And yes, I do clean it! It happens shortly after cleaning

Double firing- It doesn't do it THAT often, but I have had it double fire about 5 times over the last 4 years with light use. What could be causing this?

Hold open- this one isn't a huge deal, but it occasionally doesn't always hold open even using 115g WWB. Ive tried multiple hold open springs and its all about the same.

Thanks!

DavidJayUden 09-18-2019 09:53 PM

Can we see some brass pieces? It may tell a story. Also show damaged cases.
If it doubles it is dangerous and shouldn't be fired UNLESS it is shooter induced by a very gentle trigger pull. Tickling the trigger could result in discharge 2x. I do it with a Garand and it really gets your attention.
dju

mrerick 09-18-2019 10:24 PM

Check that the disconnector plunger at the front of the sear bar is not dirty and is operating smoothly.

DonVoigt 09-19-2019 09:20 AM

One of the Moderators started a new thread for you - so now there are two or three if you count the first one!

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39882

Here is my post from the Mod created post- there are others there too!

-The ejector does not have a spring; it IS a spring. The flat blade that protrudes into the bolt may
be damaged.
-The extractor does have a spring, and the spring or condition of the extractor could be a contributing factor
-The ding usually has nothing to do with a stovepipe jam, such are usually a result of the magazine or of weak ammo or too strong a recoil spring; resulting in incomplete recoil.
- brass shaving is not normal, and could result from several issues - from magazine to barrel
ramp cut and probably others
-the doubling, is likely not related to the stove pipe; but due to minimal contact at the sear interface, or a weak sear bar spring
-try other ammo than the WW white box, it is normally "good"; but not necessarily for all lugers.
I'd try some 124 grain ammo and see if your result is different- but AFTER correcting the doubling!

If you have more than one luger, try swapping the uppers from one frame to the other and see if anything changes.

This could be a long journey, as you have more than one issue causing different problems.

Sky Zero 09-20-2019 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, well I will try to keep all the information here. Sorry to the mod who created another thread, and also thank you!

Here is some of the brass shavings that are scattered throughout the lower. There wasn't much on the upper, other than a small flake on the side of the bolt carrier

I should also add that I am not very mechanically adept. I wouldn't trust myself doing anything detailed to fix the issues myself, out of safety reasons, and if anybody knows somebody who works on and is familiar with lugers, I would greatly appreciate a name drop. I'm still learning, even after 9 years of collecting. As for different ammo than the WWB, switching to a 124 grain, any suggestions?
As for the magazines, I've tried about 7, including 2 new mec-gar mags. I'm not sure those are the issues here, considering all of them have the same results with this pistol, be it the stovepiping or the hold open function.

As for the trigger spring, it feels pretty similar to the rest of my lugers, stiff and about the same trigger pull length.

Sky Zero 09-20-2019 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Sky Zero 09-20-2019 12:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)

DonVoigt 09-20-2019 09:33 AM

I suggest you contact "Lugerdoc" on this forum and let him troubleshoot/fix your luger after you send it to him.

You situation is just too complicated to solve on a forum, especially if you are not "adept". JMHO.

If a member of this forum were close to you in Michigan, that could be another option.

DavidJayUden 09-20-2019 09:34 AM

I'm seeing a bit of brass, but not enough to slash your wrists over. Can you show us some "damaged" fired cases? Maybe that will help determine where the brass shavings are coming from and why.
And please consider putting it in a box and sending it to our LugerDoc, Tom Heller. Unless you like tinkering and really want to sort it out yourself.
dju

HerrKaiser 09-20-2019 10:13 AM

I agree with the brass not being that big of a concern in there. I have a shooter that is GT worked and certified that gives similar amounts of brass shavings. They clean easily enough. Double fire is the real issue.

rhuff 09-20-2019 03:46 PM

I also agree that you should send this Luger to Tom Heller and let him Dx, and fix the problem(s). This is most likely not a simple single problem, and "Luger skills"(and perhaps parts) are required for it's repair. :surr:

Sky Zero 10-02-2019 11:31 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I think I'll contact lugerdoc and hopefully send it to him and have him to troubleshoot. I just don't know much about fixing old firearms.

rhuff 10-02-2019 02:43 PM

I believe that that would be your wisest choice. It will be repaired correctly by someone well versed in the P08 Luger.....plus he keeps correct parts if needed. I think that you will be pleased with the outcome. :cheers: