LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Newbie question (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13840)

dwdesa 01-29-2006 09:07 PM

Newbie question

Hi guys!
I've been lurking around the forum for about a month now trying to learn as much as possible about the Luger that I'm interested in buying and I must say I'm quite impressed by all the knowledge you guys have and even more impressed with how willing you are to share this knowledge. It makes me feel more comfortable in asking newbie questions. Also, the more I read about the Luger the more I want to have one for myself.

On to the question:
The Luger I'm looking at seems to be in pretty good condition. It's a 1939 Mauser with all matching numbers including the magazine. The only problem I see is that when the gun is tilted back, the top portion of the gun slides back. Shouldn't this stay locked down until the toggle is pulled back? :confused:

I just thought I'd ask before making my first purchase. I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks,
Dave

pipeman45 01-30-2006 01:39 AM

Yes, it shouldn't do that!

Edward Tinker 01-30-2006 01:43 AM

it sounds like they didn't put it together correctly.

Ed

dwdesa 01-30-2006 02:21 AM

Thanks so much for the quick response. I am really new to Lugers, but I didn't think that seemed right. How can I find out what's wrong? What part should keep this from happening?

How much does this de-value the gun?

Thanks again,
Dave

Dwight Gruber 01-30-2006 03:49 AM

Dave,

To expand a bit on Ed's comment, there is a small stirrup hanging down from the rear toggle link which engages a lever hooked to the recoil spring. If this is not engaged when the gun is put back together after being field-stripped, the result will be as you describe.

Disassembly and reassembly of a Luger is a very simple task, but engaging this stirrup can be a bit of a trick. It may involve holding teh pistol upside-down while sliding the reciever into position. I'd say take the gun apart--you should be doing that as a pre-purchase examination in any case--and see if you can't get it back together correctly.

--Dwight

dwdesa 01-30-2006 01:12 PM

Thanks Dwight. Excellent info! I'll talk to the guy selling the gun and try to arrange a time when I can take the gun down.

Buy the way, does anyone have a ballpark value of this gun as described in my first post? What might be a good offer?

Thanks again for everyone's help :)

Dave

Pete Ebbink 01-30-2006 01:17 PM

Dave,

Value of a luger depends on matching numbers...as you have said...but also if the finish is factory original, % of bluing and % of strawing remaining, condition of the bore, and the condition of grips and magazine.

It is difficult for folks to give ya a ball park w/out a bit more info.

p.s. Holding the gun upside-down when removing and replacing the receiver on top of the frame helps the "stirrup" fall into place easier as well...

dwdesa 01-30-2006 10:01 PM

Great information; Thanks!

I'll try to take some pictures of the gun next time I see it so ya'll can get a better idea its condition.

Again, thanks for the help.

Dave

Frank 01-31-2006 07:59 AM

Dave, a 1939 Military Mauser has ALL blue parts!! Condition is very important!! Good Luck. :)

thegundude 01-31-2006 08:33 AM

Frank, I was just going to point that out. Strawing of parts stopped in '38, IIRC.

Pete has been collecting Swiss guns for so long that he must have forgotten...

:roflmao:

dwdesa 02-01-2006 06:33 AM

Thanks guys.

The seller has agreed to let me take the gun apart and take some pictures. I hope to have some posted by the weekend. Thanks for the help.
Dave

thegundude 02-01-2006 08:28 AM

Dave, that would be very helpful.

:)

Ponyman 02-01-2006 04:47 PM

I'm a bit embarassed at having to correct you guys about re-assembly, but...

The gun has to be held upside down ONLY until the coupling link gets past the magazine well. Then it HAS to be turned right side up - so the link will drop in front of the lever..... (:-)

Edward Tinker 02-01-2006 04:50 PM

Pony, I always leave it slightly sideways and shake the living bejeezesus out of it, sometimes it works and sometimes I toss the luger in the trash :D:roflmao::D

thegundude 02-01-2006 05:03 PM

LMAO @ Ed!!! :D:D:D:D

Ponyman 02-03-2006 06:05 PM

OK, Ed, could you toss it in MY trash??? (:-)

Edward Tinker 02-03-2006 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No, its gone forever, this morning this was in the trash;

thegundude 02-03-2006 07:11 PM

Your garbage man must love you... :)

Curly1 02-03-2006 07:49 PM

Ed is that a Colt, Ithaca or a Remington? Or even better a Singer or US&S

I just picked up a Remington made here in Syracuse NY from a guy in Nevada a couple of weeks ago. And from a family historical perspective both my grandparents worked in the Remy plant here during the war, so I just had to have one.

dwdesa 02-09-2006 02:15 PM

Pictures of the gun

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got the pictures done.
Please let me know what you guys think of the Luger.
I hope I didn't attach too many pictures:)