LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Is This American Eagle Fraudulent? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=25230)

aolis110 12-21-2010 12:23 AM

Is This American Eagle Fraudulent?

3 Attachment(s)
I have doubts about this American Eagle barreled extension I've had for a while. I fear it might be a fraud. The American Eagle chamber crest looks very crude when compared to others I've seen on this site. The barrel is in 9mm. The number 9539 is under the barrel,and GERMANY is stamped on the right side of the extension. I've never posted pictures before,so I hope all of them show. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

alanint 12-21-2010 03:27 AM

It appears fake to me! This is a crude pantograph engraving.

Somebody took an awful lot of time to make so poor a copy of the original..

SteveM 12-21-2010 07:38 AM

No suffix letters on AE Lugers.....

John Sabato 12-21-2010 08:13 AM

Looks like some previous owner liked the way the AE Luger chamber crests look and engraved their own crest... No, not original IMHO. Enjoy it for what it is, a shooter.

Ron Wood 12-21-2010 08:58 AM

I think it is probably an original AE receiver with a weak chamber marking. Someone replaced the original 7.65mm barrel with a 9mm barrel and "restored/enhanced" the chamber marking with a circular punch. I do not think it is a pantograph as the line terminations are sharply squared off and do not have the rounded look of a pantograph. I am curious and would like to see a clearer photo of the mark below the serial number on the barrel if that is possible. Your photos ar pretty good for a first timer by the way:). Thank you.
Ron

George Anderson 12-21-2010 09:13 AM

Could very well be a post WWI 9mm with suffix. A full shot of the pistol would be helpful.

Machine Tool 12-21-2010 05:52 PM

Definitely not pantograph work. Most likely amateur engraving.

Craig

George Anderson 12-21-2010 06:38 PM

Until photos of the whole pistol are shown no real answer can be given. There were many AE Lugers sold into the US market in the 1920's and 1930's most notably Stoegers. Another indicator would be safety and extractor markings.

Mike B 12-21-2010 10:18 PM

You might find this thread useful. I posted it a few years back, hoping to do a study on various eagle stamps. Just paste this in search.

Not all Eagles are created equal

Mike

aolis110 12-22-2010 01:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for the great replies. But it is my fault that I did not make it clear that all I have is the barreled receiver and the mismatched internals. I am building a mix master shooter and hope to soon find a complete frame. Is it safe to say that the receiver is DWM ? Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

LugerVern 12-22-2010 06:33 AM

The horizontal "Crown N" on the side was used by DWM, so yes a DWM receiver.

I am pretty sure we have seen this gun before during a previous review. It looks like it has been parted out.

Good luck on your shooter,

I think Simpson LTD has a couple of frames for sale and Luger Doc can supply you with everything else you might need. You can also ask him about frames,

He is very reasonable in price and good to deal with. You will be happy with your purchase.

Many uppers are twisted during barrel replacement, if you can check yours for proper operation before spending too much on additional parts. They can be straightened but there is a cost involved.

again good luck

Vern

sheepherder 12-22-2010 06:59 AM

The beak, the vertical lines across the chest, and the arrows are all suspicious looking, to my old untrained cynical eyes...

drbuster 12-22-2010 10:09 PM

Hate to nit-pick with SteveM but some AE's DO have sufixes, especially 1920 era alphabet eagle crested commercial lugers imported by both Stoeger and Hugo Panzer.

SteveM 12-23-2010 03:34 PM

Ok ok, I should have been more specific..

drbuster 12-24-2010 11:38 AM

Sorry to hammer on this issue, but also consider the Stoeger "v" series Eagles.