LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   1906 -Is this real or 'enhanced' (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35703)

siegersallee 05-18-2016 11:52 AM

1906 -Is this real or 'enhanced'

Hi all,

I had taken a hiatus from collecting for about a year and am now getting back into it. I have developed an interest in some of the earlier lugers.

So now my question. I found this on GB and would like to get opinions on it: 1906 .
I am concerned that it is re-blued or in some way 'enhanced'.

What makes me think it is possibly re-blued is:
1) the very shallow C/B on the left side.
2) the pits seem to show blue.
3) some of the parts have so little, if any wear.
4) some of the parts do show wear, so the wear on the pistol does not seem even.

I don't think the lanyard is original; but that does not bother me.

If you guys think it is genuine, I plan to bid on it. Please don't get into a bidding war with me

thanks,
Richard

DavidJayUden 05-18-2016 12:43 PM

I share your concerns. A very nice looking gun but a tough call on the points you made. Also no halos, etc. And is that a crack on the frame, just ahead of the right grip panel, top point?
$95 shipping and no 3 day inspection? Ouch.
dju

John Sabato 05-18-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siegersallee (Post 288628)

If you guys think it is genuine, ...

Richard, it is a GENUINE Luger... and it is just my opinion, (and apparently the opinion of DJU) but I have the same concerns you have about it being re-blued, for the same reasons.

alanint 05-18-2016 01:23 PM

The fuzziness of the proofs and match numbers make me nervous.

DavidJayUden 05-18-2016 02:13 PM

Is anyone else concerned about that line radiating forward from the right grip upper point, or is it just my imagination?

Ron Wood 05-18-2016 02:17 PM

At the risk of disagreeing with the above reviews, I think the gun is good and in very nice condition. The barrel proofs are absolutely authentic showing well defined proper halos. The frame ears and grip straps do exhibit "freckling" but I do not believe there is evidence of it being reblued, just some pitting due to improper care/storage.
The only problem that I see that you might encounter is if the reserve is set unrealistically high.
Ron

Dwight Gruber 05-18-2016 02:29 PM

About as nice an authentically finished 9mm New Model Parabellum as you are likely to find.

--Dwight

DonVoigt 05-18-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 288646)
Is anyone else concerned about that line radiating forward from the right grip upper point, or is it just my imagination?

Looks like a crack to me.:eek:

siegersallee 05-18-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Richard, it is a GENUINE Luger... and it is just my opinion
Oh, come-on John...I know you are being funny. I know it is a real luger.

I guess, what I should have said was is this an 'enhanced' luger or an 'honest' one. :D

siegersallee 05-18-2016 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the picture you are saying looks like a crack?

The downward sloping jagged line from the grip?

Attachment 59092

siegersallee 05-18-2016 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the things that concerned me was this stamp.
I thought it looked way to shallow.

Is this normal for an 'honest' DWM luger from 1906?
I would have expected the stamp to be deeper since they were in a commercial market and under little pressure to turn them out fast -as in WWI.

Attachment 59094

siegersallee 05-18-2016 03:47 PM

Don' get me wrong...I do like the thing; I just don't want to waste my time, or money, if it is doctored.

I was thinking of putting in a bid and "c'est la vie".

Don M 05-18-2016 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 288646)

I think it is just the corner created at the intersection of the flat surface below with the curved surface above. My Lugers have it.

rhuff 05-18-2016 03:49 PM

In my opinion this finish has been freshened, perhaps not a total reblue....maybe a cold blue touch-up. When I look at the rear of the frame where the rear toggle strikes the frame when shot, this looks "freshened" to me. Other areas are also bothersome to me....finish wise.

John Sabato 05-18-2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 288650)

I think it is just a piece of thread or lint that snagged on the grip and is soaked with gun oil... seems an unlikely place for a frame crack. No firing stress in that area.

Apparently our group can't come to a consensus on the finish without better photos or handling the firearm in person. All those who have spoken up are pretty well versed in determining whether a gun is refinished... yet we are split on the originality of the finish. Can we get better photos?

ithacaartist 05-18-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 288650)

Me, too.

DonVoigt 05-18-2016 04:27 PM

Maybe John and Don M. are correct, and it is a "ledge"; it does "look" like a crack- a quick look in person would settle that.

Good question to ask the seller, just to establish a reference!

DavidJayUden 05-18-2016 04:30 PM

You know, that's what keeps this group interesting. Diverse opinions on the same photos and all expressed without malice. Wish facebook were so civil...
dju

kurusu 05-18-2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithacaartist (Post 288667)
Me, too.

It also looks like a crack to me.

But also agree that it's in an odd place.

CJS57 05-19-2016 10:23 AM

I agree with Ron Wood, it is a correct and original finish Luger. Only a hands on inspection will be the last word however. It looks like a crack but is 99.9% not a crack. It is a machining ledge that all of that era Lugers have. If you have a reference collection you can check yours and see they all have that ledge. The proof mark is also ok and fine. That proof was struck before the rust blue and that one is within the range of normal appearance and depth. The barrel serial and proofs were struck after the blue was on and those too have the right look and halos. Nice original gun. Good luck!