LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Ten Years! What no Watch??? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31284)

cirelaw 09-30-2013 08:33 AM

Ten Years! What no Watch???

I wondered when did our site have it birth? Who was our first members? Nice Work!!!! Thanks for my ten years and over 2800 posts!

John Sabato 09-30-2013 09:44 AM

Hi Eric... Good Question... To the best of my knowledge, The current version of the Lugerforum software was originally implemented on June 4th, 2002. The forum however, existed in different forms and at different locations prior to that date.

I have been a member of the forum since the early days of the Internet... probably found it about 1994. As I recall, the forum was hosted on a "free" discussion server that was based in Taiwan at the time... It only allowed one page of discussion, and once the posts scrolled off the screen they were lost forever! So if you didn't check in at least once a day you missed all the information and discussion for that day. I am glad it isn't the old days anymore.
There were originally only about 30 members in the days of the Taiwan server...

The "oldest" members I can remember reliably from 1998 or before include Ed Tinker, Ted Green (Thor), Frank Manders, Patrick Villiers, Bill Stanley, Hugh Clark, Gerry Tomek (G.T.), John D., Larry, Jerry Burney (Lugerholsterrepair), Les Center (Dok), Kyrie, Steve Richards, RET, Luke Smithwick (Luke), Tom Heller (Lugerdoc), Herb, Leo Lavelle, Dwight Gruber, Jan Stills, Big Norm (Tople), Wes Terrell, PoliceLuger, Heinz, Doubs, Leon DeSpain, Gerben Van Vlimmeren, Kidvett, Pete Ebbink, George Anderson, Jay Newman, Murray Willis, Ron WOOD, Albert Beliard, Russ Withem, Ron Smith, and The Gunman (Richie)...

Those precious members that we have lost since the early days are many...Tom Armstrong (Navy), Bill Munis (Mauser Luger), Bob Spitzer (Schwob), Viggo Dereng, Orv Reichert, Ralph Shattuck, Joachim Goertz, and I am sure there are others...just to name a few. (Rest in Peace old friends)...

Forgive me if I have overlooked any of the old timers... this old mind isn't as sharp as it used to be...
The Lugerforum has grown from a small group of gun enthusiasts with an interest in Lugers... to an internationally known website that has a reputation for quality, and accurate information. As of today, there have been 10,958 members who registered on this forum... No telling how many only checked in once...

cirelaw 09-30-2013 09:54 AM

God Bless you all!

Ron Wood 09-30-2013 10:09 AM

John,
I was there too. :)
Ron

alanint 09-30-2013 12:48 PM

The current forum has an exemplary format. It is very easy to use and to navigate.

I wish all forums could be as well thought out!

Sergio Natali 09-30-2013 01:06 PM

I agree with Doug, several years ago I've been for quite a long time an active member of another "handgun" forum, it was nice and interesting but this one it's a bit easier to navigate, and let's say it, the LUGER field is wider and at least to me there is always something new lo learn.

cirelaw 09-30-2013 01:10 PM

It wouldn't be the same without it!!! Every morning I check it first thing!!!

John Sabato 09-30-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sabato (Post 241326)
... Ron Smith, Albert Beliard, Russ Withem, Ron Smith, and ...

Found it and fixed it Ron Wood... the first "Ron Smith" in this line was supposed to be YOU... sorry.. I know you were there, and should have been in my list above. :surr:

This really isn't a "forum"... it is a community of like minded friends. The only other organization that I belong to or that I know of, that is just as willing and able to share the things they know, and believe is my church! AMEN!

=====================================================

...and Eric, there IS a watch gift for the 10 year veteran Lugerforum members! It's FREE, but there is a $1000.00 shipping and handling charge (donation to the Lugerforum) required. Let me know when you have sent in the donation, and I will get your watch right out to you! :D

Think I am kidding? Try me! :cheers: In fact, the rest of you don't even have to wait until you get to the 10 year anniversary... just send in the $1000.00 to the donation link at the top right hand corner of the page, and I will send you a watch too!

cirelaw 09-30-2013 02:56 PM

Is it a Gold Rolex?

John Sabato 09-30-2013 03:20 PM

No Eric, but it might be a gold looking TIMEX :D

cirelaw 09-30-2013 03:44 PM

Its the Thought!

SteveM 09-30-2013 09:06 PM

I think I was here as well, I do remember one of the old formats. Then again, maybe not.:confused:

CAP Black 09-30-2013 10:31 PM

I see Ron Wood in the list and it doesn't say edited.
Jack

ithacaartist 09-30-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAP Black (Post 241401)
Jack

Jack, administrators are like ghosts. Then can appear at will from nowhere, change things all around, then disappear, leaving no trace!

John Sabato 10-01-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAP Black (Post 241401)
Jack

...But my apology post does say "Found it and fixed it" :D

John Sabato 10-01-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM (Post 241385)
I think I was here as well, I do remember one of the old formats. Then again, maybe not.:confused:

Not sure when you arrived Steve, but your first post on record was made 04-25-2001, 08:42 AM. http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...=4341#post4341

This format was started in 2002, so you WERE present in at least one earlier version.

cirelaw 10-01-2013 12:42 PM

How did we wind up with 2 watches aka 2 luger sites? Is there a rivelry?

lugerholsterrepair 10-01-2013 12:56 PM

John, You can never name a bunch without leaving off somebody!

John Sabato 10-01-2013 12:56 PM

No rivalry really. Jan Still's site focuses on more than just Lugers... Ours is Luger specific. Jan is also a member here, and was even before he started his website....

Most people here are also members there, including myself. But I just don't have time to post on both... I am lucky to have any time at all to devote here. I commute 2 hours one way to work... add in 8 hours of work, plus about a half hour for lunch and that doesn't leave me much time in the day. If I get 15 minutes a day on the forum, it's a good day for me. I have to read ...and type fast.

SteveM 10-01-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sabato (Post 241431)
This format was started in 2002, so you WERE present in at least one earlier version.

I thought so but couldn't remember for sure, thanks.