, Collector Forums" /> Lugerforum Archive" /> Safety Terms - Polished and Rust ? - LugerForum Discussion Forums
LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-20-2002, 10:22 PM   #1
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default Safety Terms - Polished and Rust ?

Can anyone help a beginner understand the terms "polished" and "rust" in regards to a luger safety ?

Any referece to a good luger reference book would be great too. I have ordered Ralph Shattuck's book, but it has not arrived yet..

Pete

Unread 01-20-2002, 10:39 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: Safety Terms - Polished and Rust ?

Pete, on some early commercial Lugers pre WWI, one position of the safety was polished to white steel (no bluing) just enough for the safey to cover it when it was in one of two positions. On some Dutch Lugers, the words "RUST" and an arrow are on the safety in lieu of the German version of GESICHERT (no arrow) It is a Dutch word for either fire or safety. ~Thor~

Unread 01-21-2002, 08:51 AM   #3
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Safety Terms - Polished and Rust ?

Default It means "SAFE" in Dutch... :) (EOM)

Unread 01-22-2002, 12:35 AM   #5
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default Dutch Luger Manufacturing In England ?

Kyrie,

I assume that some of the "Dutch" lugers were made by Vickers in England.

Do you know how Vickers made them ? Were they just assembled in England from parts previously made elsewhere or was luger tooling and machinery located in England at some point in time.

Who did the inspection of the Vickers lugers ? If British inspectors, were they trained elsewhere ?

Unread 01-22-2002, 03:34 AM   #6
66mustang

Default Re: Dutch Luger Manufacturing In England ?

Hello I'm not Kyrie and he can correct me if I am wrong.

Years ago it was felt that Vickers had actually tooled up and then made 10,000 Lugers for the Dutch. But this really wouldn't have been worth the money, as toling up for 10,000 Lugers would have cost millions, just in tooling.

The newer feeling is that DWM and Vickers had deals they owed each other and enough parts from DWM were sent over to England, put together and proofed, marked Vickers and sold to the Dutch. This would get around some of the WW1 rules against firearm sales from the germans to other countries (military types of weapons).

One theory said that the guns were not put together well and that the Lugers once in Holland, were refitted by the belgians, but this was not known for sure.

Ed