LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
Heinz
User

Default Police Luger Magazine

I was reading the NRA Firearms disassembly guide and they imply that machined and extruded magazines were produced during and immeadiately before WWII. WWI magazines were sheet metal fabrications.

My Police rework is 1915 dated BUT has a correctly serial numbered wooden bottomed extruded magazine. The magazine appears chromed or nickeled.

There is a sunburst and K on the bottom "back" panel of the magazine. Above that is an arrow pointing to the right and the remains on a name stamp, first letter S then a Co or part of an O and on the end is er. Middle is worn away. Maybe Police take those magazines in and out a lot.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Unread 01-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #2
tom h

Default Re: Police Luger Magazine

Heinz, It sounds as though your have a 1st issue Haenel made Police extruded mag from the 1930s, with the arrow and Schmeisser on the spine. These should have an aluminum bottom pinned at the rear. I suspose that your wood bottom could be a contemporary replacement, but if it match your pistol, I'd be very suspecious. Tom h.

Unread 01-23-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
Heinz
User

Default Re: Police Luger Magazine

Thanks Tom, my education continues

This wooden bottomed magazine is pinned at the rear. The wooden bottom looks right as does the the number stamping on the wood. It reminds me a bit of working with old german sheet metal mechanics when I was a kid. The first thing they did with a new hammer was cut the handle off, knock it out and re-handle it the way they wanted. Hopefully some old deutscher mechanic decided this Haenel would make a better replacement if he kept the old wood bottom.

The pin area on the mag. shows a little suspicious dinging.

The positive viewpoint is with a Haenel and a wood bottom on a shooter I sort of have the best of looks and superior function.