LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-21-2002, 05:08 PM   #1
tom collins

Default getting started..

just got the luger/gun bug and trying to decide the best way to start? what to get? where to find? etc... should i waste my time on "internet auctions"? being as naive as i am, i'm not sure where to turn or trust. although i have meet 2 great resources and gentleman, tom heller and ralph shuttuck. they have been a great resource. also how much should i look to invest? i'm not really interested in just hangin' it on the wall, i want something i can take out from time to time and shoot and as time goes on pass it on to my son. also, what are your thoughts on the p-38's and c96 brooms?

Unread 01-21-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
bh

Default Re: getting started..

buy one of mine, you cant go wrong!!!!!

seriously, either of the fellows you mentioned are well-respected and their opinion should go a long way in making your decision

Unread 01-21-2002, 07:11 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

Tom,You are doing the right thing , seeking information. Good shooters can be had for around $500.00 and up. Good collector pieces go for $500.00 and way up. Buy what you can afford and take your time looking. Remember the pleasure is in the hunt. Internet auctions are a great way to judge the market. Pawn shops and gun shops in your area are another way to find a Luger. I had good luck putting an add in the paper looking for one. Bought a Police with matching mag and holster that way. Buy a book or two. Do a lot of reading. Study so that when you do see something you have a chance at knowing what you are looking at. Do not make your decision on emotion but solid facts concerning the pistol you are observing. Take it apart and look it over from the inside out.

P-38's are great shooters but at the chance of irking P-38 collectors I personally believe they are great pistols but do not have the same magic as the luger. I also collect 1903 and 1908 Colt pocket Auto's and they do not have the magic either. They are great little guns but they are not Lugers. Are we weird or what?

DANGER! DANGER! Stay away from the C-96. It is a fancy way to say boat anchor. Just kidding(sort of) They are hard to field strip and clean and every part on them except the round barrel is sharp and will cut your tender flesh. They have a square bolt for God's sake! It seems to grate as it is shot and sounds like the parts don't fit together properly. Besides they are ungainly, off center and ugly. I have heard rumors that this pistol was a favorite among German officers but I consider that to be outlandish. I stand ready to take the heat...Jerry Burney

Unread 01-21-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
Kyrie
User

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the club

Internet auctions are wonderful things, but you have to be able to recognize the difference between a dog and a jewel. When you see a Luger you like for sale, come here and ask about it. When you see a P.38 your like, go to www.p38forum.com and ask. If you develop an interest in C96â??s drop me a line and Iâ??ll help all I can. Try these URLs for starters:

http://www.northwest-denture.com/mauser1896/index.htm

http://www.recguns.com/IIIC2m1.html

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/utah/894/red9.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~cmr.international/catalog.htm

http://www.gunsworld.com/mauser/c96_us.html

http://www.marstar.ca/mau1896s.htm

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/mauser96.htm

Buy books - lots of books. The more books you buy and the more experience you gain the less you will have to rely on others for information. Iâ??m sure the folks here and on the P.38 forum can suggest a *lot* of books

Most importantly, do not look upon firearms as an investment. Firearms are good investments only at the very top - museum quality pieces. A conservative and diverse investment structure including stocks, bonds, and money market funds will consistently out perform firearms. If you want to make money, collecting firearms is not the place to do it.

Collecting firearms is for fun and for personal gratification. Go get â??em

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 01-21-2002, 09:33 PM   #5
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Broomhandles are great to shoot, especially with a shoulder stock and are as accurate as a Luger, and way more accurate than a P-38!! (In my hand anyway)

Lonnie

Unread 01-22-2002, 01:17 AM   #6
tom collins

what 'cha got?

Unread 01-22-2002, 01:35 AM   #7
tom collins

great advice guys. what would you guys reccomend as my first buy and how much should i put into it?do any of you have any for sale?

also, what else will i need to get and do once i find my luger? cleaning? tools? upkeep?

Unread 01-22-2002, 02:07 AM   #8
tom collins

also what is the number one question when buying or inquiring about a luger?

Unread 01-22-2002, 02:46 AM   #9
Thor
User

Default Re: First purchase!-Knowledge is Power

What is the asking price? With Lugers your best offensive tactic is to first LEARN as much as possible or take someone with you that is knowledgeable. A seasoned seller can bamboosel (is that a word?) a novice Luger buyer in short order coming up with the most creative stories about how this Luger was kept in a value in Berlin for all these years, hence it's terrrific excellent ++ condition and worth. Or better yet the overused, This Luger was taken on the battle field from some SS general (bunk). If you fall for this stuff, you are sunk. Better know your stuff or get ready to get lambasted (is that a word) for much coins. Knowledge is power.....and protection. Many can get taken but Lugers are especially used a lot to sell to an uninformed buyer for more than they are worth because they are so mysterious and intriguing. Get a $400-$600 shooter if you have an urge to own a Luger and if you are facinated by they continue to learn by buying books, asking questions, going to gunshows to look (and not always to buy) it can be a fun trip and make you a better Luger buyer. If you find a Luger in very good shape that is being sold as a shooter for the $400-$600 range you probably will get a Luger close to what it is worth and begin a journey of enjoyment in the World of Lugers! One bad purchase early in your quests can ruin the desire for future Luger purchases. Search and Buy with your head and not your heart. ~Thor~

Unread 01-23-2002, 12:01 AM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts
Default Re: Great Article

Kyrie, A great and informative article on the C-96..Made me flinch when you talked about the bolt coming back and landing between one's eyes. Jerry Burney