LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-18-2002, 11:57 PM   #1
TJ
User

Default Reichsbahn Lugers

I was wondering if the Deutsche Reichsban had railway police and how would their Lugers been marked if they were issued such weapons. I noticed in tech section that there were lugers issued to the DR. I was just wondering who would have used them? Thanks in advance.

Unread 01-19-2002, 01:33 PM   #2
Herb
User

Default Re: Reichsbahn Lugers

The railway did have their own police. the DR police dagger is a much sought after collectors item and is fairly rare. However I have not heard of a special Luger being issued to them that would have distinctive markings.

Unread 01-19-2002, 02:00 PM   #3
Herb
User

A little info on the dagger that might help in further research. The German government established the Bahnschutz, (railroad special protection force). The personnel were drawn from the railroad employees and were resopnsible for the protection of the railroads in time of war and civil disorder. The units were armed with rifles and machine guns and were charged with maintining law and order on railway property and in preventing larceny, espionage and sabotage.

There was also a distinctive called the Reichsbahn Wasserschutz Polizei (Railway Water Protection Police). Their mission was to provide security of the railroad facilities associated with harbors, canals and inland waterways. Their distinctive dagger was adoped in 1935 for the leaders of the Bahnschutzpolizei. It was nearly identical to the standard Army dagger. In 1938 a distinctive dagger was authorized which was different from the Army Dagger. On the hilt crossguard appeared the winged railway wheel insignia of the National Railway System. (looks very much like the Goodyear and the Ohio State Patrol winged wheel). If you come across a winged wheel proof on a luger this is probably what it would look like, if any exist. Hope this has been of some help. Info above is largely from Ltc Thomas M. Johnson's book, Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich, Volume 1.

Unread 01-19-2002, 02:04 PM   #4
TJ
User

Thanks Herb. I am familiar with the DR logo so I know what you are describing. I was wondering what markings may appear on the luger in the way of certain proofs ect. I figured they wouldnt actually stamp "DR" or the logo on to the gun, but what would set it apart from a Heer issue for example? Thanks again.

Unread 01-19-2002, 03:49 PM   #5
bill m
User

Default Railroad Luger

Hi,

There are police Luger holsters that have the "Bahnschutz" logo on the back. Benders book shows one and I have one. Both have the same markings and are dated 1933. As far as I am aware of, the Lugers were not marked in any specific way to tell that they were part of the railroad police.

Unread 01-19-2002, 04:44 PM   #6
Herb
User

TJ, I have been looking at Costanzo's book, World of Lugers and on pages 120 and 121 he describes several police proofs.

They are all an eagle with spread wings comprised of three lines each, the eagle is looking to it's right and is holding a swastica in a circle in it's feet. On the right side of the eagle and beginning about halfway up the circle with the swastica and to it's right appears a capitol letter. These letters represent the units to which they were issued. Big K=Komunel Polizei, C=Coln Polizei, F=Feldgendarmerie, L=Landespolizei. If a Reichsbahn luger was issued one would think, based upon the foregoing, that it would probably have this eagle with a R letter. Pure speculation on my part as I have never heard such a Luger or mark.

Unread 01-19-2002, 05:08 PM   #7
bill m
User

Hi Herb,

I think the Eagle K, C, F, and L are actually the police inspection stamp and have nothing to do with the units were they were issued.

Unread 01-19-2002, 05:31 PM   #8
Herb
User

Bill, I can't agree nor disagree, I just posted what I was able to find in Costanzo's book of proof marks. I have no idea if he has a clue or not. There are so many different marks on Lugers that It would take a lifetime to catalog them all and then who is left to tell us what they mean. At one time the Luger factories were turning out about 40,000 Lugers a month. Each factory had many inspectors with their own proof stamp, so on any given day over a thousand Lugers came out with different marks on them. Then there were the ones that had to be adjusted or for some reason didn't get off the line with the rest, these would have another stamp on them. Now we have the reworks or ones tha had to go back to be fixed, many to arsenals and yet another proof was applied--on and on. My 1921 DWM has three different eagle proofs on the right barrel frame, each having a different meaning. I wish I had the answers, I would be very popular and very rich.

Unread 01-19-2002, 07:37 PM   #9
Charles the master engraver

Default Re: Railroad Luger

Thanks for the idea, guys. Since you collectors have been so receptive to all my faked up Lugers, I am now going to whip up a few properly marked "Railroad Lugers," so keep a sharp eye out for them, as they will soon be appearing at your local gun shows!

Unread 01-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #10
Thor
User

lol ~Thor~

Unread 01-19-2002, 08:28 PM   #11
Herb
User

Should bring a good price from the novice collector. I expect a reasonable 'cut' based upon the info.

Unread 01-19-2002, 10:15 PM   #12
tom h

TJ, I believe that Herb is "chugging along alone on the right track". The only luger that I've owned that I'm sure was Reichsbahn, was a standard WW1 PO8 with the left grip branded with their winged wheel. No other Police markings. I could probably dig out the date and serial number, but I sold this one about 20 years ago. Wish that I still had it, but at that time it was just another PO8 to me. Tom h.

Unread 01-19-2002, 10:59 PM   #13
Herb
User

Chug, chug, chug, Whooo, Whoooo. All Aboard!!!

Unread 01-20-2002, 02:20 AM   #14
the Shadow Knows

Default Reichsbahn

Can anyone else confirm this or is my old memory unit failing?

Many years ago, there was a shipment of Browning 1910/22 pistols imported into the US from Europe that had GERMAN RAILROAD POLICE or REICHSBAHN POLICE stamped on them in English?

I think they were selling for about US$20 with a holster at the time?

The Shadow

Unread 01-20-2002, 02:50 AM   #15
tom
User

Default Re: Reichsbahn

Shadow,

You are thinking of the ones marked "Bahn Polezi Western Zone"...I saw one FS last month at $250 or so in 95% condition. Cute little gun.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Unread 01-20-2002, 03:38 AM   #16
the Shadow Knows

Default Reichsbahn

You're right!

Many thanks!

Unread 01-20-2002, 02:55 PM   #17
Herb
User

More than you probably ever wanted to know about the subject

-- http://www.feldgrau.com/dreichsbahn.html -

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidbear (scroll down near the page bottom for links)

Unread 01-20-2002, 04:58 PM   #18
mlm

In Virginia in 1996 there was a 7.65 commercial luger at a gun show that had R.B.D.Mg.xx on the grip strap in same style and location as on unit marked lugers of other types. The seller was Robert Lamb (Ã??ntique Arms Consultant) and he was selling it as a machine gun unit's luger. He is a nice guy, a vet, and a long time collector that was touting how doing his research (he has Costanzo, eg) enabled him to make such identifications. Although I don't know that I would employ him as an arms consultant, I often wonder if that was truly an Reichsbahn Directorate luger from the Magdeburg rail offices. Magdeburg, according to a German acquaintance, is an important rail hub.

Unread 01-20-2002, 10:42 PM   #19
TJ
User

Thanks all for the comments. I am a RR employee(Ich bin ein lokomotivfuhrer) so there is a cross over interest here. I have seen many US railroad police guns that were marked with the particular railroad they were used on, so the thought came to mind about the possibility of DR marked weapons. Thanks again.