LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-30-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default Kar 98A

Located a very nice Kar 98A in locals shop, asking price is $329, I'm not familiar with the value of these. Suggestions?

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserka...serhistory.pdf

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
trigger643
User

The Kar 98a or az is my personal favorite of the German rifles of WWI and have been largely overlooked by collectors, keeping the prices down (much to my relief). Poland used and mfg these rifles in significant numbers immediately after WWI and many that we are seeing today come from the eastern block. I've owned several of these over the years, the last one being a 1908/1920 Spandau. It's impossible to give you a value based on your limited description. They range in price from $200.00 to about $800.00 depending on condition and matching #. The several that I have owned over the years matched throughout -- everything, right down to the screws. Most that I have seen in recent years coming from the Eastern block are mismatched rebuilds. I think SARCO had some a couple of years ago for $175.00, and they were 1920's Radom mfg. There was one in a shop here, all matching except bolt (the az has a unique turn down bolt that is flat and checkered on the inside), and they were asking $400, which I felt was high.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Thanks, great info. This one appears original, non imported, the front barrel band did not match, Wood is excellent, has the keeper screws, stock matches also. The only markings on it are the serial number and the K98 on the left side of the reciever. Is this correct?

rk
Unread 10-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
feldm�¼tze
User

Default K98a

Roadkill, what date & manufacturer (arsenal) was the 98a?
feldmÃ?¼tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
Roadkill
User

That was another thing that caught my attention, there were no markings except the serial numbers aand the K98 on the gun. No arsenal marks on the chamber, no proof marks either. The stock does have the sn though.

rk
Unread 10-03-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
G.W. Gill
User

If the action matches, bolt reciever and barrel all. Go for it. Just make sure the bolt matches the reciever. Original numbers, not renumbered. Look for the ( X ). Look for the # on the bolt handle on the flat near it meets the main body. k98's are the most enjoyable firearms aside from your personal muzzle loader. A good one is a dream. I think the Yugos have an almost identicle copy with a teak stock. I would compare. The Mauser bolt action (pre war) is a dream to shoot. I have a 36 mauser but those yugos look nice. A good k98 shoots like the best .22 you had as a kid. Only harder and right in the money with the smooth bolt action feel that others can only imitate. We had to pay Germany a % to shoot at them with our 03's in wwI. Isn't that strange. Feel our 03-a3 0r 03 compared to a Euro mnfg 98 and you will choose the 98. I would still look at those unissued Yugos made on German tooling...
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote