LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-11-2001, 10:44 PM   #1
BILL
User

Default Luger grip screws

What is the story on grip screws? If your Luger has grip screws that can be used as fish hooks should you bite the bullet and go ahead and add some new ones? Should you search diligently for originals? What are the variations in grip screws? Are the grip screws on my Lugers authentic? I know it seems like a petty topic but not only are they the first thing that glares out at you (if they are damaged) they are also the first part someone with a hunting knife tries to remove. I guess I just need to hear from some of our great enthusiasts here. BTW, I am sure that each of the members who contributes to this forum knows at *least* one fact about Lugers that has never been published in any Luger book. That means collectively there could be a Lugerforum book on the horizon. Bill

Unread 03-12-2001, 06:00 AM   #2
Patrick
User

Default Re: Luger grip screws

Bill, the grip screws are one of the more interesting features of the Luger Parabellum. Loewe in Berlin was one of the first manufacturers who were able to make precision parts that could be interchanged. This was called the â??American Systemâ? and the Loewe factory (which later became DWM) used machine tools made by Pratt & Whitney, imported from the U.S.A. That is why the grip screws are NOT metric. The grip screws are the only screw attachments on the Luger and they were made so that they could be removed in the field. The head of each grip screw should have the end number of the SN stamped with the smallest (2 mm) stamp but not all were stamped and many have been replaced. The main difference between DWM and Erfurt grip screws is that the only the Erfurt grip screws were stamped with inspection marks. The manufacturers?´tables show that the grip screws were heat treated blue (this is what we call â??annealedâ?). Patrick

Unread 03-12-2001, 08:27 PM   #3
BILL
User

Default Great post, Patrick..

..thanks for sharing the info. I didn't know there was so much history involved in the screws themselves. I have always been intrigued that there are only two screws involved in the whole pistol.

Unread 03-12-2001, 08:59 PM   #4
BILL
User

Default Re: Great post, Patrick..

..it belongs in the upcoming Lugerforum book!!

Unread 03-12-2001, 10:24 PM   #5
Ted
User

Default Re: Great post, Patrick..

I agree! Thanks Patrick!

Unread 03-13-2001, 03:46 AM   #6
Patrick
User

Default Re: Luger grip screws

- overwhelmed - Patrick