LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-01-2001, 12:22 AM   #1
Duane
User

Default Ralph - Martz Baby Luger

Does the Martz Baby Luger have the full capacity of most Lugers? Also, is it nickle-plated, stainless, or raw steel? And what are the grips made of? Last one - Is it a custom, or a production model?

Unread 02-01-2001, 12:58 AM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Re: Ralph - Martz Baby Luger

Hello Duane! The J.V.M. baby lugers are, as far as I know approximatly 1/2 inch shorter in the grip / frame assembly, and sport barrels somewhere around 2", (not sure on the bbl. length)....the baby model is custom made from an original Luger, and they require a tremendous amount of time and effort to create.....they always have been available in his satin white metal preperation, and the only other option, rust blue,I have never known any of J.V.M's works, that had any plating of any kind! He does most of the work himself and the remainder is contracted out to craftsmen that are, in my opinion, masters in their field, and I might add totally dedicated to his requests and needs! Depending on the type of clip / bottom combination and modification, the capicity will vary....usually by one round, I'm am not sure but I believe 6 is the best compromise for function and reliability......the grips are made of the finest exibition French walnut that is available and exquisitely checkered, I have seen both with or with out a boarder.....the fitting is unbelievable close and great pains are taken to make sure the pistols function flawlessly before the final finish....The J. V. Martz pistols are equipped with the patented Martz Safty Toggle Release or M.S.T.R. and will be so stamped on the frame rail ahead of the sideplate.

J.V.M.'s creations are one of the few custom works that are collected as much for their artistic appeal as they are for their desirability as a collectable firearm! till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-01-2001, 02:23 AM   #3
Hugh
RIP

Boy, GT, you ought to be out of breath after that post, I believe that is a new record for you!

Unread 02-01-2001, 02:50 AM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hugh! What are you still doing up? Didn't use enough periods, did I?!! Yep, pretty easy to see, I really like that guy! till...later...G.T. P.S. Steel Havnt fond that speil cheakr thingy!

Unread 02-01-2001, 10:20 AM   #5
tomheller

I mostly agree with G.T.s comments on the Martz Baby PO8, with the exception that not all were made with the MSTR, which is a patented Martz invention and is available on any of his lugers as an optional extra. G.T. ought to know about these, as he's been known to make the fine grips that you admired for Martz. One little known fact on the Baby, is that it was first made by B.D. an old time luger collector coworker of John's at Mather AF BASE. which John then refinded. Prior to this Martz was not a luger collector.

Unread 02-01-2001, 10:27 AM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks Thomas, I believe that you are correct on the M.S.T.R. as an option, it's just that the ones I,ve seen always had it, I wasn't awear of the early history either, (perhaps I'm not as old a dog as I thought!) His work is top shelf.......till...later...G.T.