LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
Major Tom
User

Default FYI: repro grips

I have a P08 with matching grips. I wanted to preserve these grips so I bought a repro set off Ebay for $24. Much inletting had to be done with Dremel sanding drums and Dremel router bits. I thought I had done a good job. Wrong! I had trouble with the pistol in that it wouldn't ****. I noticed the safety lever would 'slip' past it's 'notch'. I gave up on these repro grips after hours of inletting and finally put the original grips back on. Problem with cocking now gone. Stay away from repro grips.
Unread 05-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #2
Chickenthief
User

It costs but it's worth it:

https://www.nill-griffe.com/Products..._Grips_30.html

Those cheap ones made by Indian child workers with an axe is as you and many others have found out = crap!
Chickenthief is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Chickenthief for your post:
Unread 05-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Stay away from repro grips.
There is nothing wrong with 'repro grips'. There is a problem with poorly fitting repro grips.

If your intent was to inform, then name the seller.

I have bought a set from Sarco and a set from Numrich. Both fit with no sanding or grinding. The only obvious difference was in the checkering - Numrich has fine checkering, Sarco has coarse.

It depends on when you buy. Some vendors change suppliers when stock is low/depleted, and they get a 'bad batch'.

Like anything in life, you pays you money and you takes you chances.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
4 Scale
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
There is nothing wrong with 'repro grips'. There is a problem with poorly fitting repro grips.
Yes, repros can be made to work. I purchased inexpensive reproduction grips from Numrich for a 1906 grip safety Parabellum. The initial fit was poor, but with a few hours of careful effort with a Dremel and sandpaper I was able to both fit them to the gun and accommodate the grip safety. They now look good and function perfectly.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I gave up on these repro grips after hours of inletting and finally put the original grips back on...
BTW, Thomas, there are three members on this forum (that I know of, may be more) that fabricate reproduction grips for the Luger. They may be able to adjust your repro grips for you.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post

If your intent was to inform, then name the seller.

I have bought a set from Sarco and a set from Numrich. Both fit with no sanding or grinding. The only obvious difference was in the checkering - Numrich has fine checkering, Sarco has coarse.

It depends on when you buy. Some vendors change suppliers when stock is low/depleted, and they get a 'bad batch'.

Like anything in life, you pays you money and you takes you chances.
Yep, they definitely come in many flavors. Really, even original grips will often need fitting if you move them from one gun to another. This is one reason why I don't make reproductions of these, it would simply be impossible to make a "one size fits all" version.

The latest set I bought came from Numrich, they only needed minor fitting but had the usual gap at the top front corner of the left panel, and the checkering was laser cut. Had to clean up the checkering to make them presentable, but I would find them perfectly adequate for a shooter as they come. They actually fit much better than the East German plastic set I tried to use on this particular gun.

Like you say, they can change supplier without notice, so you're always rolling the dice. This goes for a lot of repro parts, and the worst example I have seen so far was a heat shield for the Win 97 trench gun. I bought one from IMA many years ago, and I was very happy with it. The next one I bought from them looked like it came from the Khyber Pass, it was so bad that I had to return it. So you just never know.
Unread 05-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I purchased a pair of repo grips from Numrich a number of years ago. They are nice, well made grips with the fine checkering. They fit quite snug on my shooter "Heinz 57" Luger, and work 100%. I am pleased with these grips. A pair that I got from Sarco did require some 'tuning" for a good fit on an alphabet Luger, but work just fine for shooter grips.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
Major Tom
User

Well, I just figuered it was too much fitting to mess with. My replacement grips still don't fit 100% so I gave up and put the original grips back on.
Unread 08-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
dalek
User

I got some black plastic grips online that are not checkered but have parallel vertical grooves. Not as proper as the wooden ones but fit perfectly and do not make me think they are sucking the sweat off my hands and slowly depositing it on the frame (i.e. rust). In other words, good enough for me.

The wooden grips are boxed somewhere.
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
I got some black plastic grips online that are not checkered but have parallel vertical grooves. Not as proper as the wooden ones but fit perfectly and do not make me think they are sucking the sweat off my hands and slowly depositing it on the frame (i.e. rust). In other words, good enough for me.

The wooden grips are boxed somewhere.
Your grips are probably Russian and were replacements on captured Lugers. They have a certain amount of collector value in themselves.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote