LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #21
Zorba
User

Aw, just put a couple of wraps of muffler tape around it and call it good!

Seriously, I'll second the recommendation of our own G.T. - he does great work!!
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
318is_Parabellum
User

A little JB Weld and it'll be good as new, yes?

Re-barrel is the only solution that would make sense, if you want to make a shooter out of your luger. Otherwise, in its current state it is only an interesting paperweight.

Sad that the original barrel was drilled in such a fashion. I, for one, prefer my 'war relics' to go 'bang'!
318is_Parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #23
Freischütz
User

Hello - I'm a shooter, not a collector. I'd install a new barrel, replace the missing parts, and have a competent Luger gunsmith check the gun. Other parts (like springs) in the gun and magazine may need replacement.

After that go to the Shooting and Reloading section of this forum for advice on ammo selection and reloading recommendations.

You are in for a lot of fun shooting a P.08. Since you will attract attention it's important to have a reliably functioning pistol.
Freischütz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #24
ChrisLL
User

I am a shooter more than a collector as well, and the only real collector value is sentimental value to me anyway, so I will go ahead with a re-barrel and check up.

I had not even noticed the reloading section but will check that out! For the most part we just shoot reloads.

Chris
ChrisLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
ChrisLL
User

Default Whole again!

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would give you an update on my Luger, and a couple shout-outs.

As suggested by several individuals, I got in touch with GT. A week later I had an operational luger in my hands.

It's been freezing here, but I did get out to the range yesterday as I couldn't wait any longer. We shot three magazines with no failures, and she points where you aim. I feel the accuracy is very good, but hard to prove that when your fingers are numb and you are hurrying to get a few rounds off before the range closes. It was an absolute hoot to shoot, and I can see why there is interest in not only collecting, but shooting these wonderful pistols!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, especially those that led me to contact GT!

Thanks to GT for putting this old girl back into operational condition at a very reasonable price; supplying and installing a period correct barrel with excellent rifling, and also the needed mainspring and mainspring guide. It was a pleasure dealing with GT and I won't hesitate to recommend him to others; I can't really say enough about what a positive experience this has been.

My apologies for lack of pictures, I will try and get them on here asap.

- Chris
The following 2 members says Thank You to ChrisLL for your post:
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
ChrisLL
User

As promised here is a photo, not going to win any beauty contests, but a great shooter, and one that reminds me of my Uncle when I get it out:

It was suggested that I tell a bit about this pistol. The pistol was handed down to me after my Uncle died. He was quite an interesting, but very humble man. He traveled to Antarctica twice with Admiral Byrd. He was in the Army for the 1st trip, but due to some sort of red tape he had to transfer to the Navy in order to go with Byrd for the second trip. He was medaled for his part in numerous polar rescue operations, serving primarily as a dog trainer/handler. He was very proud to have been a soldier and citizen and many times showed us (as kids) how to take down and properly fold a flag. Then the mystery comes in ... he did not serve in any war that I know of. I did have several uncles which did though, one of them a WW2 paratrooper; who over the years stored many of his belongings at my Uncle's house (the one that went to Antarctica) and I suspect that was where it came from. Unfortunately, those who would know are no longer with us so the mystery of the luger remains as much a mystery as why there was a hole drilled through the barrel. It looks like I will probably never know too much more about this pistol, but it remains a valuable piece of history to me and a reminder of my uncles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LUGS.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	40104  

Last edited by ChrisLL; 02-11-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: left something out
The following 5 members says Thank You to ChrisLL for your post:
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #27
318is_Parabellum
User

"not going to win any beauty contests"... On the contrary, my most prized firearms are those that I've inherited that belonged to my grandfathers and great-grandfathers!

I'm very pleased that you decided to bring it back into firing condition. I'm sure your dad and uncles would be pleased that their old war trophy can now be enjoyed by their descendants. I know I always think of my ww2 veteran grandfather or my ww1 veteran great-grandfather when I shoot the rifles I've inherited from them...
318is_Parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 318is_Parabellum for your post:
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Chris,

Thanks a lot for that page of real history!
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #29
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Chris,

So glad to hear that you were pleased with GT's work, but most of us on this forum knew that you would be. He is a real asset to this forum. He is correcting a "bubba-smithed" 5in. Luger bbl. for me currently.

You now can fully enjoy that heirloom, and hand it down when the time is right. These item are priceless to me. We can only hope that the next "owner" will cherish it like we did.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #30
ChrisLL
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Chris,

So glad to hear that you were pleased with GT's work, but most of us on this forum knew that you would be. He is a real asset to this forum. He is correcting a "bubba-smithed" 5in. Luger bbl. for me currently.

You now can fully enjoy that heirloom, and hand it down when the time is right. These item are priceless to me. We can only hope that the next "owner" will cherish it like we did.
Totally. I sensed that GT has the kind of respect on the forum that is only earned.

Very true. I started to say that we appreciate these heirlooms and mementos as we get older, but it is very clear to me that my sons value these items highly as well.

Good luck w/your barrel.
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #31
stressed
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLL View Post
As promised here is a photo, not going to win any beauty contests, but a great shooter, and one that reminds me of my Uncle when I get it out:

It was suggested that I tell a bit about this pistol. The pistol was handed down to me after my Uncle died. He was quite an interesting, but very humble man. He traveled to Antarctica twice with Admiral Byrd. He was in the Army for the 1st trip, but due to some sort of red tape he had to transfer to the Navy in order to go with Byrd for the second trip. He was medaled for his part in numerous polar rescue operations, serving primarily as a dog trainer/handler. He was very proud to have been a soldier and citizen and many times showed us (as kids) how to take down and properly fold a flag. Then the mystery comes in ... he did not serve in any war that I know of. I did have several uncles which did though, one of them a WW2 paratrooper; who over the years stored many of his belongings at my Uncle's house (the one that went to Antarctica) and I suspect that was where it came from. Unfortunately, those who would know are no longer with us so the mystery of the luger remains as much a mystery as why there was a hole drilled through the barrel. It looks like I will probably never know too much more about this pistol, but it remains a valuable piece of history to me and a reminder of my uncles.
It's simple, your uncle gained the luger battling elite SS fanatics held out in New Swabia in the quest to kill Hitler once and for all..

Glad you got her up and running again. From what I hear of GT, when I need serious luger work done, he is the one getting my lugers.
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to stressed for your post: