LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 02-13-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
Adam
User

Lightbulb Idea on repro grips !!!!

I may not be the first to think of this, but since I havent found anything else about it, I figured I would bring it up. You see repro grips of wood, plastic, polymers, resins,and many other materials. BUT, I have never seen a set made of aluminum or some durable alloy. I know the production costs would be high, but think of how hard it would be to seriously damage a set! I mean for most people one set would last a lifetime, even with hard use. Someone with a pair of good quality fitting grips as a starting point, access to a machine shop and LOTS of time, could make a decent pair. and once perfected they could be put into production for a reasonable price. I doubt you could get rich, but surely you could sell a few. There are an infinite number of finishes available for aluminum (I am no expert so I have no idea how you put the color on or anything like that, I think its anodized, is that the word? I have seen lots of aluminum car parts and such that were red, green, purple, ect.) Am I the only one interested in this or are there more who think this could be possible ?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Adam,

Actually, I have seen a couple pair of aluminum Luger grips show up on ebay over the last two years. I was curiousl but never followed up on them. I have no idea where they came from.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
Adam
User

Dwight, Thats interesting, mabey someone is currently producing such grips. Hopefully someone else on the forum knows about them?
Unread 02-14-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Sieger
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Dwight Gruber:
<strong>Adam,

Actually, I have seen a couple pair of aluminum Luger grips show up on ebay over the last two years. I was curiousl but never followed up on them. I have no idea where they came from.

--Dwight</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Dwight:

I bought a set of those grips, well worn as they were. They were made for WWII service, for the Luftwaffe, according to the seller.

Let me know if anyone is really interested in having them reproduced, etc.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

For years, Bob's Gun Shop in Arkansas had aluminium replacement grips available for most pistols. I nolonger see them listed in his catalog, but I would bet, these are the ones that you are seeing on ebay. I do still have a set of these for the Ideal stock complete with the inside original steel parts @$150. Th
Unread 02-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Sieger,

I have never seen anything in print about "offically" produced aluminum grips. Without provenance, I would think this falls into the class of a Luger wive's tale...

The few aluminum grips (for any gun, not just Lugers)I have seen looked like some machinists personal pet project instead of something that was in production... Do your "luftwaffe" grips have any kind of stamps on them that would lead you to believe that there were official issue. Even so I would be skeptical...

Could you post some good clear photos of both sides your aluminum grips for us all to examine?

Has anyone else seen anything else about this from a reliable reference source?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Herb
User

I have a set of solid aluminum grips that were apparently custom made. They have the initials R.E.S. on the left panel and Germany 1946 on the right one. They appear to have dents on both of them but looking closely it was a defect in the mold. They appear to have been poured rather than stamped as there are imperfections on both sides. They are about 1/4" of solid aluminum. These would no doubt last a lifetime or longer.
Unread 02-15-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
Adam
User

Seiger, I would also like to see pictures of the grips.
Herb, is it possible the grips you speak of were cut from one of the Luger replicas? I have seen many solid aluminum lugers on ebay that were molded from a real luger, but just as you said, had dents on the grips. If someone were to cut these from a life size replica it seems possible that with some careful fitting they would work. But, you mention defects on the inside, so It makes my theory a little less likely. Can you get pictures of them?
Unread 02-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #9
Sieger
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by John Sabato:
<strong>Sieger,

I have never seen anything in print about "offically" produced aluminum grips. Without provenance, I would think this falls into the class of a Luger wive's tale...

The few aluminum grips (for any gun, not just Lugers)I have seen looked like some machinists personal pet project instead of something that was in production... Do your "luftwaffe" grips have any kind of stamps on them that would lead you to believe that there were official issue. Even so I would be skeptical...

Could you post some good clear photos of both sides your aluminum grips for us all to examine?

Has anyone else seen anything else about this from a reliable reference source?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">John:

I have no way of posting photos, but the comments made here seem correct to me.

They appear to have been cast from molds made of a pair of original grips, not all that perfectly either.

There are no Waffenampt markings on them, or, for that matter, any other markings on them of any kind. They appear to have been a "Hobby" effort.

Whether or not they were actually on a P-08 during the war would be difficult to establish, however, the workmanship is not up to German standards, even last ditch standards.

Luckly, I paid practically nothing for them, which is probably exactly what they are worth, nothing!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2004, 08:48 PM   #10
Herb
User

Adam, here they are. The color difference is the camera's idea, both sides are aluminum colored;
http://forums.lugerforum.com/lfupload/grips_007.jpg
http://forums.lugerforum.com/lfupload/grips_004.jpg
Unread 02-15-2004, 09:07 PM   #11
Navy
RIP

All,

These pix reinforce a concept that I developed when I joined the army back in the '60s; to wit: A G.I. can screw up anything and given the opportunity, will do so and demonstrate a complete lack of taste and zero out any sense of propriety in the process.

I *think* our current Army has gotten somewhat better at this, but when I talk to my SOF second son, I ain't too sure.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #12
Herb
User

Tom, isn't that how the acronym SNAFU came into being, leading to the creation of another one, FUBAR?
Or was it the other way around?
Unread 02-15-2004, 10:47 PM   #13
Adam
User

Herb, the pics were great. I can see what you mean about the defects, still these are an oddity, it would be nice to have them just for a conversation peice. Have you tried them on a luger to see how they fit?
Unread 02-15-2004, 11:19 PM   #14
Herb
User

Adam, I bought them due to a strange defect I have, I like to have just about anything that is different and these were just different enough that I wanted them. I would love to know the history behind them. I hadn't tried them on a Luger until you asked that question. I'm surprised to report that they fit quite well, no gaps, no slop and feel good in the hand. It's going to be pretty to knock that "million $ chip" out of the left one too.
Unread 02-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #15
Sanya
User

Hi,

maybe Adam want to say about using of new materials for Luger grips.
As for instance Caspian Arms Ltd. 1911 grips from damascus steel
http://www.caspianarms.com/Images/Da...rips_Large.GIF
But Sieger`s Luftwaffe grips extremely interesting for me too.

Regards,

Sanya
Sanya is offline   Reply With Quote