LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-30-2001, 01:24 PM   #1
Bob in AZ
User

Default Original Grips or Not?

To All,

I have a 42/1939 wartime Luger. It was a vet bring back, all matching including mag, shows plenty of carry wear, and came with its original holster. I say original holster because the wear from gun to holster is the same. This Luger looks like it march around Europe for a while. If it could only talk. One side of the barrel is almost egg shape from rubbing against the inside of the holster. Talk about honest wear...

Anyways, my question is about "Grips". Do 3rd Reich Lugers have the last two digits stamped on the grips? I can only find the letters R Q stamped on left grip. Nothing on the right. The grips look old, smell old, fit the gun like they have been on it for years. The gun appears all original so I hope the grips are too. Whats the deal on grip markings?

Sincerely

Bob

P.S.Yes I order Jan Still book. Till it gets here I appreciate hearing from you folks...

Unread 12-30-2001, 02:57 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: Original Grips or Not?

Bob; some of mine do and some don"t. Some have E/655 or E/135 only and a letter that has nothing to do with the serial number. Some have the last 2 digits only. There should be something. The other members will have information to add.

Lonnie

Unread 12-30-2001, 04:23 PM   #3
tom
User

Default Re: Original Grips or Not?

Grips were often damaged and replaced by unit armorers, just like in the US Army. Armorer replaced grips were not serial numbered and towards the end of the war they weren't waffened.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Unread 12-30-2001, 05:26 PM   #4
bill m
User

Default Random Serial Numbers

Hi Bob,

The 1939/42 Mauser Lugers had grips which are usually marked in 3 ways and these are found randomly throughout there production. There are no explanations for this that I am aware of. Some have the last two digits on the inside, some are completely blank except for some letter, like a Q or R for example, and some were blank with an E/63 or E/655 on the inside. Occassionaly one will find one with E/63 or E/655 proofs with the last two digits of the serial number. Why they are found this way is not known at this time to my knowledge. Interesting though is that the 1939 S/42 variations almost always have grips that are numbered inside.

Unread 12-30-2001, 05:56 PM   #5
Craig
User

Default Re: Random Serial Numbers

I appreciate knowing this Bill. I've got an 1939 42 code that I've been wondering about. The grips show evidence of being on the pistol for a long time and look original.

The grips are blank with the exception of some inscrutable stampings that almost look like letters.

So a 1939 42 code can have grips with no serials or waffen amt stampings and still be considered matching/original:-)

Craig

Unread 12-30-2001, 08:26 PM   #6
Bob in AZ
User

Default ReGrips,,, THANKS Again for all the info

Very interesting replies guys. I like to hear from several when I ask a question like this. Really helps to give a "rounded" answer for all to digest. Like so many other areas in collecting Lugers, somethings are still not hard and fast.

BTW, I have on layway a beautiful S/42 1938. It wont be up for grabs till the second week in Jan. Its awaiting the 20 day stolen gun check thing at the local shop. All guns coming into a gun shop out here have to go though this. When I do get it I will share the info with ALL. I'm sure I will have a few questions for this Luger too.

Bob

Unread 12-30-2001, 10:49 PM   #7
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: ReGrips,,, THANKS Again for all the info

Looked at two all matching (magazine also) 1939 42's that are in 97/98% and 98/99% finish. Pistol 11XXr is an E/63 and the only marking on either grip is a Q on the left grip. Pistol 43XXz is an E/655 and the left grip is marked with an E/655 and a W. The right grip is marked with an E/655, a W, and two large 2's.

Unread 12-31-2001, 09:47 AM   #8
tom h

Bob and others, In addition to the markings on the inside of the grips, the other factors to consided to decide if the grips in question are original to a particular luger, is the type of checkering (see Gibson chapter 5) and the fit. If your grips overhang the front grip strap of your luger at all, they were not install at the factory.

Unread 12-31-2001, 03:12 PM   #9
Craig
User

One of my 1939 42 unmarked grips does overhang, but then so do the matching grips on a 1937 S/42.

Craig

Unread 12-31-2001, 05:13 PM   #10
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

The matching grips om my 1918 Erfurt and 1917 Erfurt are oversized and overhang.

Lonnie

Unread 01-01-2002, 09:43 AM   #11
tom h

Just because the numbers inside the grips match your pistol, do not necessarily prove that they are original factory issue to this pistol.

Unread 01-02-2002, 01:47 PM   #12
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Tom; very true; however this seems to be the norm in late model Erfurts that I have observed.

Lonnie