LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
boogieman
User

Default Hello and questions, questions, questions

Thanks for having me at LF. Im from South NJ (I swear its a different state) and have collected a few Hungarian handguns and rifles as well as a FN Mauser and many other current handguns and rifles. I have always admired the Luger and want to purchase my first soon.
I am looking for a WWII era matching in shooter condition. Think I can do it between $1500-2000. I know very little about Lugers so im reading what I can find on this sight as well as other internet sources. And at the same time im looking around at every gun shop I come across, asking friends, and even shopping gunbroker. I dont want to pay over market value and I dont want to buy a faked or re-finished.
I like the WWII era because in my mind thats what a Luger is. Is there any reason to choose or not choose guns from that era? Will all era guns function,holdup as well as the other eras? Is there any type or make that tends to function and hold up better than the others? Is there a book that lists enough info for a fist time buyer to take along and help identify as well as authenticate a Luger before dropping cash?
Any suggestions on my search will be appreciated, im pretty thick skinned.
boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi John and welcome to the forum. You should be able to easily pick up a good condition "shooter" Luger for substantially less then then $1500. to $2000., perhaps even in the $700. to $900. range. You can get a good idea of what a reasonable price would be if you log onto some of the major auction houses web sites and click on their "Past Auction" feature where you should be able view the prices realized, always a good starting point. If you prefer the WW11 Lugers Mauser seems to be the best regarded producer. There are lots of good, informative books available on that subject an excellent choice would be Gortz and Sturgess three volume set, "The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols", a little pricy but well worth the investment for someone that may be interested in learning about and collecting Lugers. You can also click on the "search' feature at the top of the page and type in "book review" for other ideas on this subject. Good Luck,

Lon

Last edited by Arizona Slim; 05-20-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: dbl entry
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

welcome

well, it depends on what you consider a 'shooter' because that usually means, rougher condition, mismatched parts or refinished

If you are looking for a nice gun and then turn it into a shooter, thats kind of a shame, but its your gun...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Collecting Lugers is a bit different from other firearms. The best way to start is by studying them. One of the best available references was recently published, and is available on a DVD as a PDF file. Get in touch with Simpson Ltd in Galesburg, Il and get a copy of the Sturgess and Goertz book on the Borschardt and Luger Automatic Pistol.

If you're mainly going to be interested in Weimar and WW-II era Lugers get a copy of "The Mauser Parabellum" by Hallock and Van der Kant. These Lugers were made from 1934 to 1942. They probably have the best metallurgy and were still being made with rather high precision by Mauser in Oberndorf through the end when they shifted over to the P.38 in 1942.

Reading the books first is what I call "Luger University". Even thought the books are expensive, they will save you time and money in the end. Plus they open up details of the fascinating history of Luger pistols.

Lugers are extensively marked; made up of matched and numbered parts; hand fitted and quite addictive. A collector wants one that is all matching, as close to original factory state as possible. That means no refinishing and minimal wear. Generally no import marking (some exceptions exist, like very rare ones, commercials shipped originally to the USA or Swiss ones).

Most collectors get mismatched or refinished Lugers to shoot. This is because they really can break numbered parts, and you'll lose quite a bit of value if you break an all matching original one. Of course, that just eventually improves the value of the collectible ones that are left.

The rarer they get, the higher the potential for fakery. Stick to military Lugers that are somewhat common at first. Start by dealing with an established collector or dealer that will allow inspection and return if not satisfied. Remember that dealers charge higher prices because they have a business and overhead to support. Expect 30%-35% higher prices when dealing with a dealer. Read here extensively, because some dealers are not to be trusted (even though they have a very nice online presentation and good photos, some are known to deal quite a bit in fakes). The gun auctions and Ebay (for parts) are literally a jungle for the uninitiated. Fakes and overpriced items abound - just like at gun shows.

Welcome to the addiction!

Marc
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I think Lonnie, Edward and Marc have already given you some useful advices, I underline that would be essential to study the Luger world first.
To me Lugers breathe history and would be awful to use a collectible as a shooter at the range, still it depends on you and on what you are really looking for: a shooter to gain some initial experience or a nice collectible as some sort of investment...
Well if you were thinking about an investmeny I'd suggest you to look elsewhere, for investments get gold or shares, and for keepsakes buy Lugers. Lugers generally hold their values so one can make trades and sell/upgrade without losing too much money but they will never make any sense as investments.

If you look for a shooter you won't have to spend a fortune, even a mismatched Russian capture 1942 Mauser would do, but have it checked first by a serious gunsmith and remember that old Lugers should never be fired with modern high speed and high power ammunition.
In any case welcome to this Forum, good luck and shoot safe!

Sergio
Unread 05-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
boogieman
User

Thank you for the kind welcome and book information.
I would like to clarify "shooter". I have no intention of using this for 3-gun or even taking it monthly to blast off 100rnds. I do plan however to take it to the range once and a while. And fire a couple mags through her. In my mind its value is in being able to enjoy it and show it off. I have a '42 1911, a '24 1903, a Frommer Stop I treat in the same manner.
Im an engineer/machinist so the big draw is the unique action on the Luger, same goes for the Frommer.
One of the sources recommended was Liberty Collectables.
http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/w...nd-guns/lugers
They are close enough to go and put my hands on several Lugers at one time and be able to get a better understanding of what to look for. Has anyone dealt with them?
Unread 05-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Never heard of "Liberty Collectables". We know the people at Legacy Collectibles and I have only heard good things about them (but have not dealt with them yet).

Also see checkpointcharlies.com and Simpson Ltd online. Both have good reputations.

As to shooting. I have never shot my collectible guns. Period. I do have some Lugers just for shooting. Of course, your choice may be different. It will be yours after you purchase it.

As i mentioned, I share this advice so regularly, and hear push back so consistently that I'm just resigned to the fact that fewer collectible Lugers will end up increasing the value of the ones I own.

If you search around you'll see the truth of the risk of firing them causing breakage.

Believe me, nobody will think better or worse of you because you shoot collectible guns. It's just a personal choice.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
boogieman
User

Are luger so delicate that they can't handle being used infrequently? I'm sure with the complexity that they are more delicate than a 1911 for example, but seeing as Germany produced them for about 40 years I assumed that they were somewhat robust and reliable. If I manage to find a mixed luger I would likely buy it. At the same time I didn't think that a $1500 handgun was exactly a heirloom.
Unread 05-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
TheRomanhistorian
User

It isn't that they are delicate but that some of us see the value in their all-matching nature and to break one of the numbered parts is not an irreparable situation. Indeed, there are parts but the loss of numbered parts would bring the value down to that of a shooter (unless I have misread what you are questioning).

I have a beautiful all matching 1913 which I keep in my safe, having never been fired since it got into my possession. But I do have some shooters which I do take out fairly frequently (3-4 times a year).

I echo the comments of the others in that you can get a mismatched quality shooter for $1000 or less. I've just picked up one recently (a 1914 Erfurt, all matching with an older refinish and an aftermarket 8" barrel and the stock lug ground off) for $700 and I found a mismatched WWII Mauser at a local pawn shop here for $749.99 and put that on layaway. so, there are deals to be had and you might check out the sale section on the board here. Welcome, by the way!

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts
Arrow

Boogieman,
You ask good questions, but they are without "good" or universal answers.
What you want depends a lot on you and what you like.

You can get an historical luger, that is already mismatched as a shooter- and not worry about
breaking a part.

By the way, I do not believe Lugers are quite as fragile as some here do, but then I've never broken a matching part, lucky? No, just have not had that many till lately.

First two lugers I owned were about 25 years apart, the first one was a well used Erfurt and would not function, I owned it less than a day. Fast forward to a local gun show, I bought a nice looking
Artillery luger, only problem was it had two rear sights! Yes, it was a "built" from parts pistol.
Owned it a month or so, never fired it, sold it to a bigger fool for what I had in it!

My current shooters are two out of only 10 lugers I now own. One is a very nice looking G Date Mauser, with excellent finish and bore- only problem is it is mis matched, the G Date 1934 upper on a 1937 mauser lower, with a repro side plate- I can't hurt it much, and it was a $850 shooter when bought. Second shooter is a .30 cal 1920 commercial, all matching, but nothing special, bought it for the price of a shooter too, so I shoot it. If I break it, I can find a replacement that is matching, replace the broken part, and it will still be worth near the $ I paid for it- so again nothing much to lose.

The other 8, I could shoot; but why take a chance of reducing the value by several hundred $$, and having to find a part too boot?

My next shooter will be an Artillery model, i.e. the Long P 08 with the 8" barrel.

So study books, websites, read all the old posts here, including the WTS section to get an idea of what is out there and the prices. Look at the online sales sites, go to gun shows, local gun shops and pawn shops.

Look and then ask questions BEfore you buy!

and welcome.

Hope this story helps.

My shooters are below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300502.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	48723  

Name:	P1300477.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	48724  

Name:	P1300516.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	48725  

Name:	P1300521.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	48726  

DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
4 Scale
User

Lots of good advice in this thread. I am relatively new to Lugers and started by seeking a matching WWII era shooter as well. My experience:

-Knowledge and patience are key. If you are short on either you are at risk to overpay, buy a poorer specimen or both.
-Knowledge sources: books, visit shows, talk to collectors, read the forum(s).
-Matching WWII (Mauser) shooters are a bit of a tricky proposition. These are desirable and therefore tend to cost a bit more than other eras. A matching WWII (Mauser) Luger with good or better everything (bore, finish, grips, function) costs $1,100-$1,500 between collectors, higher if purchased from a dealer. As finish, bore, grip quality declines or parts begin to mis-match, price declines. But there is a range. It takes some combination of work, patience and luck to find good weapons toward the lower end of the range.
-I would counsel get a relatively inexpensive shooter, enjoy it for a few months and go from there. My first Luger was an all-matching WWII Mauser with significant finish loss but an excellent bore. I learned that it makes me very nervous and detracts a bit from enjoying the shooting experience to fire an all-matching gun due to the risk of breakage. I still have the gun and shoot it a little, but have since acquired a mis-matched WWII Mauser in good to very good cosmetic condition that I find more satisfying to shoot. I don't worry about breaking parts and it addresses my personal preference to shoot a nice-looking pistol. My point is, start with an inexpensive shooter and you will learn a lot about both Lugers and what you really want.

Good luck to you in your search.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
kurusu
User

"Matching" and "shooter" are seldom used in the same sentence in the collecting world.

A good shooter would be an almost all matching late Mauser (from 1939 to 1942) with a good bore.

Lugers are not fragile. They are even quite tough (maybe more than the 1911). But things do break and in a Luger most of those things are numbered.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
Diver6106
User

So you can boil it all down... The Lugers aren't delicate but the owners are. Or the nicer the gun, the more delicate the owner. In fact, some of the owners have more parts replaced than their guns. ;-}
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Diver6106 for your post:
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Lugers are not fragile at all, but common sense tells you to avoid using modern
high speed and high power ammunition
because some older guns might have become structurally unsound.
Enjoy shooting you Luger but shoot safe.

Sergio
Unread 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
boogieman
User

Guys thanks again for all the info. I will likely be bouncing some possible buys off of you in the near future. My search will be for a gun that functions well and looks presentable rather than a matching number gun. I dont think im ready for a "collector luger" at this point. My draw to the Luger is the mechanical and machining aspect and to a lesser degree the history. As for investment purposes, guns are not likely to be the model I use. Real estate and IRA or even gold/silver IMO is the way to go. My search will be or an honest seller of a mismatched Luger. Plenty of sellers want to sell a "Rare" pistol that is actually a mismatched shooter.
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

A great reference site~~http://www.paul-mauser-archive.com/i...econd_part.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MAUSER 003.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	48954  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

An excellant repost~~Mauser At Its Finest~~http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-told-pistols/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mauser 005.jpg
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	48955  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 05-21-2015, 01:41 AM   #18
Sonofeugene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
"Matching" and "shooter" are seldom used in the same sentence in the collecting world.
I've got one of those "seldom" shooters. It's an all numbers matching '42 (except the mag) that has seen some polishing and re-bluing.
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2015, 04:17 AM   #19
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofeugene View Post
I've got one of those "seldom" shooters. It's an all numbers matching '42 (except the mag) that has seen some polishing and re-bluing.
That makes it one of the best possible shooters one can get.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
boogieman
User

Not sure if I asked this or not. I am under the impresion that the best of the Lugers (as far as function and durability) are those made just prior to and at the beginning of WWII. Would that be Mauser "42 marked Lugers only?