LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 06-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #21
Imperial Arms
Banned

Ron,

Here in an image showing the serial number.

The individual numbers of serial numbers (and characters) are not allows stamped perfectly right and the B-suffix does not appear suspicious to me. The so called 'halo' on this pistol does not follow the characteristics of natural halos I have observed on other Lugers.

One detail which I am not 100% sure is whether the B-suffix was stamped after the serial number or below the serial number - I guess under the serial number. Maybe you can refresh my mind regarding this method. I know that the the presentation carbines in the 9100 serial range have the number stamped as 9102C along the forearm tang.

Albert

Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #22
Pete Ebbink
User

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #23
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

The "B" is in the appropriate position under the serial number. I agree that the "halo" is not the result of stamping but may be from wear or contact with something that removed the blue. I still am not totally comfortable with the slant of the "B" but am willing to accept it at face value. It appears to be a legitimate rare Luger and the condition attests to the hardships of ranch life. I am perplexed by the presence of the "B" suffix since this is obviously one of the elusive 7" Commercial pushbutton stock Lugers, but there is an awful lot about early Lugers that I freely admit I do not know. Maybe if I live another 50 years I will be a little better informed .
Unread 06-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #24
Pete Ebbink
User

One Shattuck has for sale :

Unread 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #25
Pete Ebbink
User

I played around with the B to see more detail :

BTW...is the seemingly larger size of the "10" on the bottom edge of the TD lever "normal" ?

I noticed on # 10023B the "23" is pretty small on the TD lever. Then on # 10158B, there are no numbers on the TD lever.

Unread 06-06-2007, 11:16 PM   #26
LugerVern
User

I would have to agree with Albert that the B is original to the gun, or at least was applied very early in the life of the gun. If you look closely you will see some damage at the top left, this has occurred after the B was applied.

The serial numbers on the take down lever were applied with different stamps, if you look at the base of the 1 on the take down lever you see some flaring not present on the frame numbers. This is not necessarily a problem; the only way to check is to compare them to the stampings on the rest of the gun.

I have one concern however:

The zeros on the frame serial number are flat top and you would expect to see rounded ones, I would like to compare them to the serial numbers on the barrel. Could we get one more picture please of the barrel serial numbers?

I also have a question on safety levers, is this the normal style for such an early luger? This is mostly for my knowledge and not a criticism?

Interesting gun!

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #27
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

Hi Vern, here is the pic you ask.
Regards
Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	223.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1781  

waffenrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #28
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by LugerVern
I also have a question on safety levers, is this the normal style for such an early luger? This is mostly for my knowledge and not a criticism?

Vern
Vern,

If this Luger is part of the commercial numbering series (implying that the B was added later), the thumb safety lever would be expected to be type-2, although it is within approximately 200 guns from the changeover to type-3. The grip safety width is not diagnostic, as this number falls within the empty data range of the changeover from narrow to wide grip safeties.

As Albert notes, there are non-standard barrel lengths reported on Lugers near this sample.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #29
Pete Ebbink
User

Unread 06-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #30
LugerVern
User

I think the serial numbers are fine, the one on the take down lever was struck at an angle and then perhaps struck again, this caused the flaring and what looks to us as an enlarged font.

This â??Bâ? is driving me crazy; does anyone else think they have seen such a â??Bâ? before?
Maybe I have been looking at proof marks to long, but I am almost certain that I have. Could it be that we are missing a simple identification? We know itâ??s not a prototype â??Bâ?, are there any other simple straight foreword explanations, I am going to keep looking.

Nice Unique Gun!

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote