LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
The Wizard
User

Default Step IN P08 Chamber

While looking at the drawings of the Pistole 08 in Masstafeln. zur Pistole 08 I noticed that in the chamber of the barrel there is a 0.075 mm step 14.1 mm from the breech face. So i looked at the two P08's I have and sure enough I colud see the step in the chambers. Anyone have an idea why there is this step in the chamber?

The Wizard

Unread 04-12-2002, 08:28 PM   #2
Jerry G.
User

Default Re: Step IN P08 Chamber

If I understand the question - the step is used to headspace the case. All straight wall shells use this system whereas rounds such as 30-06's use the shoulder on the neck for the headspace.

Unread 04-12-2002, 09:11 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Step IN P08 Chamber

The step in question is only 14.1mm inside the chamber. If you look into the chamber of a 9mm Luger you will see the slight step in question, and them the forward end of the chamber where the cartridge actually headspaces. I have never seen anything in print, but wondered if this slight step helped to more precisely align the cartridge with the bore yet left the chamber large enough to allow for slight variations in ammo. I do know that you can drop a cartridge in the chamber, put pressure down on the cartridge as you slowly pull it back with your fingernail, and you can hear a click as the cartridge clears the step.