LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-29-2001, 12:17 AM   #1
Terry

Default I need help to ID my gun

I've got a 9mm Luger with the DWM manuf marking, but with 2 dates (1920 over 1917). Its got the Simson proofs on the barrel, along with 4 markings on the right side of the receiver I couldn't identify from this web site. There is a very faint marking on the left side of the slide. It has all matching serial #s (even the mag) and original grips. There is a straight mark on the bottom of the barrel, starting on the barrel and continuing underneath into the recess below (matching perfectly barrel-to-receiver). It has the word "Gesichert" hidden under the safety (I don't know German, is this the word for "fire"?). There is no surface rust anywhere.

The grips are tight, but the checkering has the points worn off. Otherwise, they are in great shape, but the wood is dark. I'd say the blue is 80% or so, as the edges are showing silver. The barrel is very good.

Can anyone venture a guess as to the lineage of this firearm, and what it may be worth? Any and all comments welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

Unread 09-29-2001, 12:33 AM   #2
Terry

Default Re: I need help to ID my gun

I just confirmed the 4 marks on the right side were from the DWM manuf. However, the resource I looked at showed a 5th marking on the right side of the barrel that I don't have. Don't know if this makes any difference.

Unread 09-29-2001, 06:43 AM   #3
tom
User

Your gun is a WWI Army that was reissued to the Reichswehr (Weimar Army) The 1920 stamp was the marking used to identify a weapon that was Government property vice civil contraband. The Simpson proofs indicate that your pistol was one of the many thousands that went through refurbishment under the Simpson contracts of the 1920s and early 1930s.

Hope this helps!

Tom

Unread 09-29-2001, 12:43 PM   #4
bill m
User

Hi Terry,

Just to add to what Tom wrote, your Luger was originally a 1917 DWM. You need to look and see if it has the cut on the front of the chamber for an Artillery barrel. Your barrel has been replaced by Simson. These were done for both the Weimar Army and the Weimar police. You need to see if you gun has the police sear safety or a magazine safety. If so, it is a police Luger. Also, what is the base of your magazine and does it have a "1", "2", or "3" on the base along with the serial number? Police magazines usually have the 1, 2, or 3 number on them. Your Luger is referred to as a "Double Date. Thousands of Lugers were reworked and reissued during the 20's with most going to the Weimar Police. These reworks in the last few years have found more interest and are becoming more collectable. The extent of the reworking varies, with some having property markings on the front or rear grip straps.

Unread 09-30-2001, 01:55 AM   #5
Terry

All,

Thanks a lot!! All the info is really getting me into finding out more. However, I must confess, this is my father-in-law's gun, not mine. I really appreciate the info! I'll try to provide more info in the reverse order it was asked for, so last question first, here goes:

There is a gap between the end of the receiver and the start of the barrel (at the bottom), as viewed from inside the chamber with the action open. There is also a large "notch" at the top, intersecting both the barrel and receiver. Not sure if this is what you were asking. There is no "punch mark", like on the bottom (outside) of the barrel. I'm not sure what kind of safety it has. It's a thumb lever that moves up and down. The only obvious difference between "safe" and "fire" is a small piece of metal that rises on the left side and disrupts the firing pin by keeping a spring from moving part of the slide to the left.

The mag has another symbol besides the serial #, but it looks the the American version of the cursive "p", not a 1, 2 or 3.

The rear grip strap has a number that differs from the gun's serial #, it's an 11, but the second digit differs from the first (like a different font punch was used).

If this doesn't answer the question, what do I look for to determine the type of safety it has?

Also, is there 1 definitive resourse that would give al this info in a consolidated volumn? Thanks again for all the help and info. You guys rock!!

Terry