LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-15-2002, 02:17 AM   #1
csmdave
New User

Post Luger manufacturer

I have a mismatched Luger with the frame number 5859t. The barrel assembly has a different number and is marked S/42 and other parts have different 2 digit numbers. Is there any way of determing who made the frame?
In New York State every firearm registered must have the manufacturer listed and reporting the above Luger as serial number 58.... and made by Mauser (S/42) may not be legally correct - but close enough for the State police.
csmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2002, 10:26 AM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

Dave, the legal serial number is the one on the frame front, below the barrel. In your case 5859t. You didn't indicate the year stamped over the chamber, if there is one. If the year mark is K, G, 1936 to 1940, 41 or 42, then Mauser is a very good selection for the maker. If the chamber is blank, since you have a mismatch and the only indication of the manufacturer is S/42, then Mauser would be my guess as acceptable. Good Luck!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2002, 10:53 AM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

The first t suffix block was not reached by Mauser until approximately mid year in 1937 when the Mauser "hump" became standard for all production. If your frame has the hump you can be sure it is Mauser.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote