LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 09-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Tango3
User

Default New to me Interarms Parabellum

Newbie to the Parabellum here. Been a 1911 guy all my life so this is a bit different, to be sure. I've been lurking around the forum, reading up on everything I could. Fascinating weapons!

I was curious if one of you could tell me anything about my Parabellum number 11.00.2553.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by Tango3; 09-14-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Tango3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2016, 03:23 AM   #2
Eugen
User

Eric, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby! I would suggest you add several photos of your Luger; they will garner more informative responses. Do you have the original box and accessories?

After a range trip give us a report on your experience.
The following member says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 09-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #3
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Eric,
you may want to get a copy of :
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...ducts_id=18587
enjoy that new toy !
Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to lfid for your post:
Unread 09-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Tango3
User

Bill
That's definitely a book I'll order. Thanks for the heads up!

Don
I'll include some pictures later today.
The pistol did come in it' box (has same serial number on the side) with what I understand to be most of the accessories. It's missing the little colored tag and the target.
Thank you for the welcome!
Eric
Unread 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The authors of "The Parabellum is Back" also frequent this website.

You have an earlier Mauser Parabellum pistol. Likely made during 1973 on one of the earlier production runs.

These are very well made. Do you have box and accessories? Any specific questions?

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 09-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome to the forum and congrats on owning a Mauser Parabellum. They are very nice handguns and a real hoot to shoot. Sounds like yours is pretty much a complete package.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 09-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

The OP wrote:
"The pistol did come in it' box (has same serial number on the side) with what I understand to be most of the accessories. It's missing the little colored tag and the target."

Good to have some of the "accessories", but the missing tag and target will hurt to a purist as it is
"incomplete". Most who collect these later Mausers want them new, unfired, and complete with all the little things in their original box.

These are not particularly valuable(compared to an original), and some here like them for shooting.

If shooting is your desire, you have a good one there.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Ben M.
User

serial numbers tell it to be 9m/m
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
Tango3
User

Thanks all: Ben, Don, rhuff, Marc.
Don, I bought this for shooting so while having all the accessories would still be nice, I figured that my use of it was going to hurt the collectability side of things.
As to the weapon itself, everything was pristine except the grip screws which had the slots slightly damaged. I'll replace those.

One thing I haven't seen that I could use direction on is lubrication. All my pistols are, up to this point, 1911s and I'm real familiar with their key lub areas and amounts. But a Parabellum? Yes, I figure that the rails need it, just like the 1911s, but what else and how much? I haven't read anything about this and have found only one YouTube vid that showed this. On this vid oil was applied liberally to just about every piece of metal in and on the weapon with special emphasis on all pins. What made me a little unsure of this was that the owner kept dry firing his weapon constantly which seems to be a large no-no with the Parabellum. Makes me sort of question his lub suggestions. So suggestions are welcomed, gents.

I'm also new to blued pistols, of which my Parabellum is one. All my 1911s have other finishes...IonBond, stainless steel, Duty Treatment (Dan Wesson finish option), Hard Chrome, and a couple with the surface applied paint. Some of these are fussy with solvents or lubricants or both. For instance, Duty Treatment gets permanently blotchy with certain CLPs and Renaissance Wax and the use of such substances means living with the look or a refinish. What are the do's/don'ts with a blued weapon?

I always field strip and clean my pistols after every shooting session and am assuming that that is the recommended procedure most Parabellum owners employ? Detail strip and clean/lub every 5000 rounds. Same with Parabellums?

Finally, this beauty seems to have a lot of springs. How often does one change them? I know the average number of rounds that I can run in my 1911s before I should consider a spring change. So I keep a detailed shooting journal on each and every one of my 1911s so as to know when I'm getting close to those round count points. I plan on doing this with my Parabellum of course, hence my previous question. Help please.

If any of you have important suggestions on items I haven't mentioned, please sing out! Something like...since my pistola is an Interarms Parabellum that has never been shot, is there a break in period? Should mags be pre loaded to pretension the mag springs?

Thanks,
Eric
Unread 09-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Lugers like oil, any good gun oil- thin not thick, no grease.

I'd clean and lube after each shooting session.

One of our members shoots his luger in competition, he will come along and give advice on a "lot" of shooting.

I doubt any of the rest of us would fire a luger 5000 rounds; I wouldn't- I have 6 I call shooters and the most any get shot is with one or two full 32 round drums in a session.

Springs should not require changing until you notice a change in ejection pattern or distance, again JMO. There are only 3 coil springs that do work, ejector, striker, mainspring.
The ejector is a flat spring and subject to fail as any leaf spring will - or not. Leaf springs on the mag catch and the sear bar not likely to fail. forgot the very small spring in the disconnector, they don't "fail" but may get stuck due to dirt/dried lube, just keep it lubricated.

Mags- just use them, they will be "stronger" than you are used to.

Maybe this will help, just remember the Luger was a military issue firearm for 60 years, so it is a robust system; being replaced for reasons of cost rather than performance, IMO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Be careful of over cleaning things. After most range sessions, I wipe the gun down, run a boresnake through it, lightly oil it and spray it down with a preserving gun oil like RemOil.

After several hundred rounds, I'll disassemble it and do a more thorough cleaning.

I store my guns in silicone impregnated socks or bore-stores. Beware of actually getting some forms of silicone on the gun surfaces. Blued surfaces, including the salt blued finish on your Interarms Luger, are pretty resilient. Just don't leave fingerprints or moisture on them for long periods of time. Don't store guns in holsters.

It's not a good idea to dry fire a Luger. The area of the breech face where the firing pin protrudes is rather thin, and it's all that stops the firing pin when nothing is in the chamber. Look it over to be sure it's still nice and flat.

I do think that these Interarms Lugers are collectible, but in a different sense and class as compared to military Lugers or DWM / Mauser commercial Lugers. There were not that many made, and few remain pristine examples. They are very well made, and their high cost of manufacture ultimately lead to them being discontinued. The market simply could not bear the high price. Estimates for reviving Luger manufacture today run into the $5,000 range.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 09-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
Eugen
User

Lightbulb

Eric, if you are looking for a set of snap caps to be able to cycle and dry fire your Luger, I would recommend "B's" brand. Dumb name, but the best snap caps I have found...and I think I have owned all the brands out there in various calibers. They are not made of plastic (that I have had break), or have flaking coating on alum (that comes off in the gun) like some of the other popular brands commonly found everywhere. I got mine on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B's Dry Fire Snap cap.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	61508  

The following member says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Eric,

If you are comfortable with care and cleaning of 1911s, then you should have no problems with your Luger. They are all machines.....although some are beautiful machines!!

I have a tendency to run all of my handguns fairly well lubed, and because I live in a warm climate, I do use more than just oil on the heavy friction areas(slide/frame, toggle/frame, etc.). I have been pleased with TW25b grease for a number of years now, including on subguns. I use a good quality gun oil on the less heavy friction areas like the toggle train junctions, etc.

I agree with Marc about not doing extensive breakdowns after every range trip. To me, it just isn't necessary. I do keep my guns clean and lubed, but not OCD about it.

I will suggest that if you are going to be shooting your Mauser that you purchase a few Mec-Gar aftermarket mags to use and save the originals. The original mags have a tendency to break the plastic bases when loaded fully. You don't want that to happen.....I assume.

Stick with std. velocity quality ammo in 115-124gr FMJRN, and avoid any +P,+P+, or NATO ammo. Enjoy.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 09-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
Eugen
User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Eric,

I will suggest that if you are going to be shooting your Mauser that you purchase a few Mec-Gar aftermarket mags to use and save the originals. The original mags have a tendency to break the plastic bases when loaded fully. You don't want that to happen.....I assume.
I agree with rhuff. I also have found the Meg-Gar P.08 mags are sold at https://www.cdnnsports.com on specials that they run frequently for $19. I picked up several and haven't found them priced lower.
Unread 09-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Can anyone verify that the standard Luger magazines (used with the P.08 like those mentioned above) will fit and work properly with the Interarms Parabellum pistols?

I think I remember that there is a difference, but am not sure...
Unread 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #16
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Can anyone verify that the standard Luger magazines (used with the P.08 like those mentioned above) will fit and work properly with the Interarms Parabellum pistols?

I think I remember that there is a difference, but am not sure...
The MecGar mags work fine in mine.
Unread 09-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #17
Tango3
User

Don,
Great info and much thanks.

When I go to the range, I usually shoot 100-200 rounds with my 1911s, sometimes even shooting 300 or more, as the mood strikes. Getting an unfired, "young" for a Parabellum, Mauser, I planned on range trips mirroring my usual. It's not unusual for 1970 vintage 1911s to be rigorously fired so I assumed the same would be true with the Parabellum. Is this incorrect?

Eric
Unread 09-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #18
Tango3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Be careful of over cleaning things. After most range sessions, I wipe the gun down, run a boresnake through it, lightly oil it and spray it down with a preserving gun oil like RemOil.

After several hundred rounds, I'll disassemble it and do a more thorough cleaning.

I store my guns in silicone impregnated socks or bore-stores. Beware of actually getting some forms of silicone on the gun surfaces. Blued surfaces, including the salt blued finish on your Interarms Luger, are pretty resilient. Just don't leave fingerprints or moisture on them for long periods of time. Don't store guns in holsters.

It's not a good idea to dry fire a Luger. The area of the breech face where the firing pin protrudes is rather thin, and it's all that stops the firing pin when nothing is in the chamber. Look it over to be sure it's still nice and flat.

I do think that these Interarms Lugers are collectible, but in a different sense and class as compared to military Lugers or DWM / Mauser commercial Lugers. There were not that many made, and few remain pristine examples. They are very well made, and their high cost of manufacture ultimately lead to them being discontinued. The market simply could not bear the high price. Estimates for reviving Luger manufacture today run into the $5,000 range.
Marc
What, specifically, is the danger (danger is probably too strong a word) of over-cleaning the weapon? I ask 'cause I know I'm OCD in cleaning (albeit carefully) my 11s but that hasn't been a problem with them.

+ on silicon socks. I use them on all my 11s and already have the Parabellum wrapped in its own. I wipe my guns down before putting them away, however, the non-blued finishes on them make fingerprints a non worry. I'll make sure to take care of that with this weapon. I never store my 11s in holsters and that'll even be easier with the Parabellum since it won't possibly fit in any I own. I conceal carry my 11s but have no plans to do so with the Parabellum. This is the very first handgun I own that violates a rule I have that it must have the capability for CC. Oh well, my rule to break!

++ on no dry firing! Thanks for enlightening me on why, though. Much different than the firing pin set up on large caliber 1911s. I have learned how to safely de-**** the P so as not to damage it.

I must say that I'm VERY impressed with the robust and precise construction of this class of weapons. I can see why these are not currently produced since their price would place them high in the custom 1911 market!

Thanks,
Eric
Unread 09-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #19
Tango3
User

Richard,
I haven't had the chance to field strip the Parabellum yet but have read and viewed YouTube videos and it looks easy. I'll let ya know, hope to find time to do it tomorrow so as to take it to the range on Saturday.

"...although some are beautiful machines." Are you intimating that Ps are beautiful and 11s aren't? Just messin' wid ya. I do find my 11s beautiful ('specially my Les Baer Commanche Heavyweight Monolith) but I must say that they have a much more "industrial" beauty than the sleek beauty of the P-08.

I'm surprised by the number of you who aren't anal about the meticulous cleaning of these close tolerance weapons. In the 1911 world, tightly constructed (close tolerance) means clean it carefully and frequently as opposed to a loosely fit weapon although I've run as much as 750 rounds through my tightly fitted Baer Monolith during one range trip with just occasional oil with no problems. Constant 11 forum argument between the cleanly group and the leave 'em filthy group.
Since I CC my weapons, clean is how I roll.

Thanks for the Mec-gar suggestion. I've purchased and received three of 'em thinking that the factory mags might have issues with those, to me, goofy plastic bases in that they might be brittle with age. Looks like these bases have pins that have to be punched out to replace them that could be a real pain in the butt. Why don't they just make them out of metal to start with. I know...cost but it's a cost I'd gladly pay.

+ on using 115-124 gr FMJ round nose. Since it won't be a defense pistol for me, no need to fool with hollow points.

Thanks,
Eric
Unread 09-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #20
Tango3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
I agree with rhuff. I also have found the Meg-Gar P.08 mags are sold at https://www.cdnnsports.com on specials that they run frequently for $19. I picked up several and haven't found them priced lower.
Eugen,
I got lucky and found CDNN Sports and bought 2 of 'em along with the one Mec-gar at $29 I had previously purchased. When I compared them, they were identical except the CDNNs didn't have "Mec-gar"or "Made in Italy" stamped on it. Sounds like I made a good choice.

Thanks,
Eric
The following member says Thank You to Tango3 for your post: