LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 02-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
USKEW
User

Default Thoughts on my luger...value?

I would love to get some input about what some of you may feel my luger might would be worth. Of course it is priceless to me and would never sell it, but would be interested to see what some might think. Below are some details about the gun and I am going to try and attach some pics of the firearm.

Luger Identification Form

1. Toggle Inscription: DWM
2. Chamber Inscription: 1915 with Nazi Death Head
3. Toggle Knob Type: Round and Knurled
4. Grip Safety: No Grip Safety
5. Stock Lug: Present
6. Caliber: 9mm
7. Grip Type: Not sure, I think Walnutâ?¦Checkered, with out a border, with out an Insignia
8. Thumb Safety: When pulled back, the word â??Gesichertâ? appears, when pushed forward, safety covers up that word.
9. Markings on the pistol:
I am going to move from the barrel back on this. On the barrel, the pistol contains a marking on the underside that is proof marking #28. Under the proof marking is the number 88 7/7.
On the top of the chamber, the gun is stamped 1915 and between the date and the barrel is mark number #68, the Nazi Death Head.
On the right side of the â??chamberâ? is proof #15, but instead of having a bird on the end of it, it has proof#4 on the end of it.
The right side of the breech lock mechanism has proof #4 on it twice. On the left side of the breech lock mechanism near the front it has proof #14. The top of the breech lock, or toggle has the DWM.
The inside of the frame for the grip, under the trigger guard has the numbersâ?¦127.R.5.8
The clip has one of the proofs #46 on the bottom of it with the numbers 655 below the proof mark.
10. Barrel Length: 4 inches
11. Markings on Left Edge of Extractor: As per above proof #14.
12. Desc. Of Front and Rear Sights: It appears that the front side may be able to be slid right to left and same has an alignment mark on one side of it that is perfectly aligned. The front sight as the number 87 on it, which would match the last two numbers printed on the bottom of the barrel and described above in #9. The rear sight is a fixed v
13. Magazine Bottom Plug Material and Marking: I would assume the bottom plug material for the clip is aluminum, at least it is silver in color. As described above in #9, the bottom of the plug has one of the eagles shown in proof #46 with the numbers 655 below it.

Description of the condition: It would appear to me that the firearm contains 85 to 90% of the original bluing. Of the bluing that is missing, there is zero rust on the gun. The strawing on the gun has probably been reduced to 50% on the trigger, 15% on the disassembly latch and maybe 25% on the safety lever. The strawing on the right side of the clip release is at 75 to 80% and the strawing on the right side of the chamber is at 99%. The bore appears to be at 75% or more with no apparent rust and I can not see hardly any pitting to the same. The grips are in excellent condition and I would put the grips at 95%. All of the serial numbers match on the gun with the exclusion of the barrel and the clip. The serial number is 7746.
The gun was given to my when my grandfather passed and he served on the front lines during WWII in the Army, for I believe over 3 years. He told me that a German citizen warned him that a German SS Officer was waiting around the corner for him and my grandfather was able to get the drop on the SS officer and killed him. He took this side arm from the SS officer. The officer was carrying a leather briefcase with papers and my grandfather turned the papers over to intelligence and kept the briefcase. He then traded a German citizen a carton of Marlboro cigarettes and the German made him a leather holster for the gun out of the briefcase and burned his initials in the flap. I still have the original rounds that were in the clip when he returned from the war with the souvenir weapon.
I would love to be able to e-mail pics of the gun for review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_5837.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	2624  

USKEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
USKEW
User

another pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_5839.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2625  

Unread 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
USKEW
User

pic of the death head....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_5845.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2628  

Unread 02-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Steinar
User

An interesting Luger Uskew.
Death skull indicates an early nazi area rework and the notch in front of it that it once was an artillery Luger. This is a quite rare mark and would boost it up to an 'upper end' shooter I guess..

It is obvously a mix of different guns, the 'proofs' as you call them, should be the last two digits in the serial.
Not sure if the 'reworkers' would have sent it into service mixed up like that, perhaps someone else can share light on that?
Unread 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
USKEW
User

Thanks for the comments Morgan....Grandpa took this one off an SS officer that he killed. So, I'm pretty sure it was "in service". He told me that at one time he had a pillow case full of lugers and used to sell them to GI's. Said that he kept this one because it had the oldest date on it and the death head on it. I appreciate the response...I just enjoy sharing pics of the gun. There are alot more pics of all the markings on the gun in another forum above.

Kevin
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Went Blakely
User

very nice piece with an interesting tale behind it. i'd hold onto it mate.....otherwise, feel free to pm me anytime and ill take it off your hands jk nice luger!
Unread 02-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
USKEW
User

Thanks newby, I think I'm gonna hold onto this one.
Unread 02-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Steinar
User

Dear Forum of Great Wisdom;

Would a nazi area reworked Luger be put into service without matching #?
And to whom where most of them issued?

Thanks
Unread 04-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Zamo
User

I don't think it's a nazi era re-work. That's not a Nazi deathshead. It's my understandig that it is a symbol that was used during the 1st World War on some pistols issued to Flame-Thrower units. With the great number of mis-matched parts, I'd call it a post WW2 parts gun except for Grandpa's story, and I am not going to impune the accuracy or veracity of a deceased Vet.
Hold onto it as a family heirloom, and enjoy a unique piece of history.

My collection:
http://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/guns.htm
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Kevin, Thank your Grandfather for his service.
I am not sure where your story about the aquisition of this holster comes from. If it was Gramps, he was pulling your leg.
The holster is a US factory made holster for the Colt .45 1911A1.
Regardless, you are right to take pride in owning your Grandfathers bringback.
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote