LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #21
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Selway Armory has Fiocchi 30 Luger for $20.99 per box of 50 plus shipping.
Bob
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #22
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
You're lucky, Richard, if that's all that's necessary! In NY State, although the impending background check for each purchase of ammunition of any kind has not kicked in yet (I have my doubts that this behemoth of bureaucracy will ever be effectively implemented), it's still necessary to show one's pistol permit to buy it. And when buying from out-of-state, it's required to have it sent to an FFL and pick it up there!

I found out this A.M. that the shipping to me is around twenty bucks, which does not seem too bad for what it is--heavy and haz-mat. Though It bumps up the price almost another 10 cents per round, it will still be less than Fiocchi. I'm considering the feasibility of adapting the shells to accept standard small pistol primers, so that I can reload it...but we shall see.

I had no idea that you folks in NY had to jump through so many hoops just to purchase ammo. You have my deepest sympathy!! Here in Az, they ship it to your door.

There is no hazmat fee for ammo.....only for powder and primers. Figure that one out!! Ammo that is shipped has to be labeled as ordnance on the outside of the shipping box. These are a specific label to be used(of course).

I would be pleased with a $20 shipping fee, but expect more.

To convert Berdan brass to Boxer brass will require you to close off the two(2) lateral flash holes. and drill a proper size center flash hole. That will be labor intensive, but possible.....I think.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #23
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post

To convert Berdan brass to Boxer brass will require you to close off the two(2) lateral flash holes. and drill a proper size center flash hole. That will be labor intensive, but possible.....I think.
I will check it out when it arrives, and after I've created a few empties. Sounds like a little prep, a couple dabs of silver brazing alloy in the lateral holes, then drill--all of which sounds like a pain, but a worthy project after some of the more pressing boondoggles are completed... I'll soon be fooling around reloading .22lr, just to develop the skill, and perhaps to result in the FMJ round in .22lr I've always wanted to try! There are now a couple of concerns that offer a hand crimper tool, made desirable by current lack of availability and higher prices for .22.
Unread 06-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #24
Curss
User

You can reload .22 LR!?
Unread 06-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #25
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Maybe "changing" the load, is more a appropriate description of
what Ithacartist means to do.

I doubt he means reloading fired brass!
Theoretically it could be done, but likely with a very low
success rate.

But that is JMHO.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #26
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Maybe "changing" the load, is more a appropriate description of
what Ithacartist means to do.

I doubt he means reloading fired brass!
Theoretically it could be done, but likely with a very low
success rate.

But that is JMHO.
It's a floor wax and a dessert topping! You are both sort of correct. I ran across a few YouTubes of people reloading fired .22 brass.

It's difficult to disassemble the round because of the crimp, which really locks the round in there. You'd have to destroy new rounds to have primed cases--which would next need to have their necks expanded before replacing the projectile and re-crimping effectively enough for the round to feed. (Remember that the case is the same O.D. as the bullet.)

Nope, I'm gonna have the fun of firing the new brass first, then work with the empties. I'll make some tooling to reach in and clean out the insides of the rims, tap the dent from the f.p. back into place, re-pack the rim with an alternate primer, work up a powder load, and crimp everything back together around a fresh bullet--which I also may have to make or modify.

Success was definitely not 100% for what I saw demonstrated, but the guys doing it were doofuses, and I think a more precise job will come out better than theirs. At this point, I think the new primer should be of as fine a texture as possible, and packed as densely as possible into the inside of the rim. I'm hoping I'll be able to prime at least as well as Remington!

Homemade primer options include a paste of black powder and acetone, and similar goo made from the phosphorous compound on the tips of strike-anywhere matches. I'm sure it's all corrosive as the dickens, but, hey, I'll be shooting it through one of my old Ermas, which I will clean thoroughly afterwards.

p.s. I'll be wearing safety glasses at the very least!
Unread 06-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #27
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Sometime back, I read about a hydraulic device that some fella built to remove Berdan primers from rifle brass. He had some obsolete rifles and brass and wanted to shoot them. For a time, Berdan rifle primers were available for sale. Perhaps they still are. I can't say about Berdan pistol primers. If one can purchase Berdan pistol primers, then that would definitely be the way to go in my way of thinking. I will do some looking around.

Have you heard anything from Samco as to shipping information on your 30 Luger ammo? I was able to get them the needed documents faster than I thought, so everything should be a go for me as to them shipping the ammo.
Unread 06-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #28
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
Have you heard anything from Samco as to shipping information on your 30 Luger ammo? I was able to get them the needed documents faster than I thought, so everything should be a go for me as to them shipping the ammo.
Yes, they have the FFL and said they were sending the next day, which would be today. My dealer had apparently sent them a copy for someone else's deal, but it had expired. I'm expecting a project gun/frame to come in soon and I hope to be able to p/u it and the ammo on the same trip to the dealer.
Unread 06-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #29
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
It's a floor wax and a dessert topping! You are both sort of correct. I ran across a few YouTubes of people reloading fired .22 brass.

It's difficult to disassemble the round because of the crimp, which really locks the round in there. You'd have to destroy new rounds to have primed cases--which would next need to have their necks expanded before replacing the projectile and re-crimping effectively enough for the round to feed. (Remember that the case is the same O.D. as the bullet.)

Nope, I'm gonna have the fun of firing the new brass first, then work with the empties. I'll make some tooling to reach in and clean out the insides of the rims, tap the dent from the f.p. back into place, re-pack the rim with an alternate primer, work up a powder load, and crimp everything back together around a fresh bullet--which I also may have to make or modify.

Success was definitely not 100% for what I saw demonstrated, but the guys doing it were doofuses, and I think a more precise job will come out better than theirs. At this point, I think the new primer should be of as fine a texture as possible, and packed as densely as possible into the inside of the rim. I'm hoping I'll be able to prime at least as well as Remington!

Homemade primer options include a paste of black powder and acetone, and similar goo made from the phosphorous compound on the tips of strike-anywhere matches. I'm sure it's all corrosive as the dickens, but, hey, I'll be shooting it through one of my old Ermas, which I will clean thoroughly afterwards.

p.s. I'll be wearing safety glasses at the very least!
Oh, My! Sounds like work.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #30
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanx David for the info. I have heard nothing concerning a shipping date, but they did receive the needed information and hopefully will ship the ammo post haste.
Unread 06-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #31
Sieger
User

Hi,

The Sako and Lapua ammo is excellent, though the over all lengths of the cartridges are way too short for reliable function in a Luger. Proper O.A.L. is 1.173 inches.

I ordered about 500 rounds of this stuff, from Samco of Miami, Florida, years ago. It shoots great and is very clean.

Other than the aforementioned O.A.L. problem, I'd recommend it for target shooting without question.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 09-25-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #32
BogeyB
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I've shot both in my .30's, and they shoot excellent! They are hotter than Fiocchi and function well. Samco's .30 is 1879-81 vintage.

Mike

http://www.a1ammo.com/uploads/produc...m/100_1213.jpg

I believe the 81 means 1981 Mfg. Pic courtesy of A1Ammo.
The following 2 members says Thank You to BogeyB for your post:
Unread 06-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #33
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I found this page of info about Berdan primers: http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/ber...imensions.html

top left on page is a link to de-capping.
Unread 06-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #34
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

David,

Thanks a bunch for the link!! I find this kind of thing most interesting, and that is where I read about it, I am pretty sure. I have yet to locate any Berdan primers for sale that would function in the 30 Luger brass, but I have not given up.
Unread 06-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #35
marshombre
User

A few years back I bought 500 rds of Sammco's 7.65 parabellum. No feeding or ejecting problems through my 1912 and 1920s 30 cal. This ammo is Berdan primed so no reloading.
Unread 06-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #36
Curss
User

Anybody got their ammo yet?
Unread 06-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #37
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
I'm considering the feasibility of adapting the shells to accept standard small pistol primers, so that I can reload it...
I've had that thought too, frequently, over the years...Mostly for .303 British...Why not just drill a central hole??? Not even braze the off-center holes??? If there is blowback, place a drilled copper/brass disk inside the case to cover the Berdan holes...

Also, there was a site that had a big write-up about reloading pinfire cartridges; it had a link to rimfire reloading as well. I think it was off Gerard Henrotin's site...Anyway, IIRC, you mixed your own primer chemical and dabbed it into the case, waited for it to harden, and then added the powder & bullet. I think Gerard may even have had an e-book on it...

Last edited by sheepherder; 06-28-2015 at 09:45 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #38
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curss View Post
Yes, but things have been so busy I haven't shot any yet. Looks good, sealed bullet and primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
...Anyway, IIRC, you mixed your own primer chemical and dabbed it into the case, waited for it to harden, and then added the powder & bullet. I think Gerard may even have had an e-book on it...
Interesting, I will have to check that out.

I received an email from Gerd Schön in Oberndorf, which contained the following news about >30 Luger ammo:

Quote:
In the SWM, Swiss gun magacine 07/15 you can read a bout the new ammo in .30 Luger.

The Swiss RUAG is a big wheel in ammo. They have absorbed all famous brands, Norma, RWS, Hirtenberger and Thun.
Any of our European members have more info about this, or perhaps a synopsis/translation of this article for us monoglots here?
Unread 06-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #39
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curss View Post

I got my order. I believe that mine is a '55 vintage. It looks good, and as David said, the bullet and primer are sealed at the factory, so it should be GTG. I have not fired any yet.
Unread 06-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #40
Curss
User

Forgive me if I was rude, gentlemen. Glad to hear the ammo looks good!