LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 03-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #21
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts
Hi,

Funnily enough, initially I thought that the general Luger required a caselength shorter than average in order to feed/load properly. It's not until quite recently that I discovered it's the other way round.

I figure that Georg Luger must've been knowing what he talked about when he designed the cases and I put my money on sizes that match the original ones as closely as possible.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:45 AM   #22
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
I believe that if you find a shorter OAL to work, that it would not cause a great deal of chamber pressure increase to run your favorite, or plentiful batch of 9mm ammo throught your reloading press that has been adjusted to the shorter OAL that you know to work.

I know that some may disagree, but I can't see that the compression of 0.01 of an inch making chamber pressure dangerous at firing. Just my Opinion... tamper with ammo at your own risk of course,... but I would do it if I knew it increased the reliability of proper feeding and ejection.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #23
Roadkill
User

I reload for several 9mms, in order to get the right "feel' for a round in a gun I adjust the cartridges lengths for each one of them. I don't measure them, jut fit them in the barrel assembly and adjust until they are completey flush ( Doubs idea). My Belgian commercial HP likes a longer round than my P-35 made in 1944, my Radom and P38 will feed nearly anything. The only thing I shoot in my Thor restored 1918 Erfurt is Finnish 9mm made in 1962. Will try to remember when I get home tonight to get some exact measurements. I do however use a 124g bullet in all, don't know what the weight of the Finnish bullet is though.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #24
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
RK, I haven't fired my P-38 in about 15 years, but as I recall it would feed even EMPTY CASES ! The problem is that it is like most P-38's... they are like lightning... they don't strike twice in the same place if you are trying to punch bullseyes with them...

I would carry one for personal defense, but only for situations that might occur inside a room... I hold out no hope of ever pinning someone down with a P-38 at a distance like 30 or 40 meters. The single action trigger is lousy on a P-38. And unless the first double action shot is practiced A LOT, it won't be real close to what you want to hit at a distance because of the long trigger pull... at least for me.

For serious work like hitting something at a distance I would need a trusty .45 1911A1 (or a Luger). When the occasion calls for it, I carry a Colt Combat Commander.

I don't own a P-35 anymore. Used to own a commercial one with a tangent rear sight. It was darn accurate and would feed and shoot almost anything I could put in the magazine.

Sold it about 30 years ago because the rear sight was not conducive to good carry under a jacket because the sharp edges of the tangent rear sight would snag... it didn't have a shoulder stock cut anyway...

BTW, did I mention that I really like P-38's... I just don't like to shoot them much.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2004, 09:36 AM   #25
Steinar
User

For me this is a bit strange.. is it common in the US to carry a gun for personal defense?

Here in Norway, not even the police carry weapons. (unless there is a situation where the criminals are using it)
It's not ilegal to carry legal wepons, but I never heard about anyone carrying firearm for defense reasons.

(There is one exeption where weapons are used under police duristiction at all times. I few years ago I worked as a border gard patruling the russian border. We used weapons as A3, G3, MP5, Glock, Carl Gustaf (recoil free cannon) and 12.7 sniper rifles)

btw.: After the 9/11 terror, explosives are about the be baned on public transportation here in Norway as well. Dough I find it a bit strange if somebody with a bag full of TNT actualy uses the buss on the way to job
Unread 08-05-2004, 09:47 AM   #26
Roadkill
User

Morgan, most likely about 75% of the US Luger Forum members (not living in a state where it is prohibited)have concealed carry permits. There is currently a strong movement for all the states to recognize the other states permit. Should you be interested here is a good info link

http://www.packing.org/

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2004, 06:53 AM   #27
Steinar
User

Thanks for the information. Sorry if I got a little "off topic"
Unread 08-24-2004, 01:41 PM   #28
saxman
User

How many home invasions do you have in Norway? How many armed robberies and car-jackings? How many violent gangs do you have in your cities? I live in a medium metropolitan area (about a million people, counting the adjacent counties) and we have about 75 known gangs. These are not your everyday juvenile delinquents, either. They ride around and kill for fun when they're not robbing, raping and getting high. So, be glad you don't have to carry guns to protect your family, home and self.
Unread 08-24-2004, 03:33 PM   #29
Ron Smith
User

Morgan, What saxman says is'nt predominent in the U.S. However, it is spreading. Where I live in Oregon, we are just off of the I-5 corridor. The highway which is the main artery for drug transport on the west coast. My daughter manages a shoe store in a shopping center within sight of I-5. She was robbed by, probably a Meth addict, who hit her twice in the neck with a stun gun, and took $900. Fortunately nothing worse happened. We are experiencing more and more of this all of the time. The theory is that if scum like this knows that their victim maybe armed, they will think twice. And largely this theory has proven to be accurate. States who have approved concealed licenses, see a dramatic decrease in criminal activity. We are not "Cowboys or Gunslingers". We are merely trying to deter this type of behavior.I carry a concealed firearm most of the time.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote