LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
SleazyRider
User

Default Holey holster!

Dear Friends,
Can anybody identify these holes in the flap of my 1941 Mauser Luger holster? They're about 1-1/8 inches (oops, I mean 28 mm) apart, so they appear to be deliberate, and I have reason to believe they were put there when the holster was in use. Could they be from some type of pin or perhaps an insignia of some sort?
Thank you in advance!
Jim

DANG! Just realized there's a separate holster forum ... and I don't know how to move this. Sorry!

Last edited by SleazyRider; 01-29-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Wrong forum
SleazyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Yes
They were caused by some one putting insignia's ,medals or something on it. This was not done by the Germans. Bill
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
hansfischer007
User

Smile Holster with holes

It seemed to be a pretty common thing for WW2 soldiers to put German insignia on the captured holsters....Ive seen all sort of cap insignia that has been attached....I picked up a real nice brown PPK Holster many years ago...that had a RLB pin on the flap...(RLB was home defense)...and a friend of mine last year picked up a P-38 with holster...and the holster had original SET of SS Cap insignia on the flap.......he got over $400 just for the insignia set when he took it off the holster and resold it at our military show..then sold the holster and P-38.....said his best profit was on the insignia......so again...it was a pretty popular thing for GIs to do..........sort of like the "Hate Belts" that were the rage in WW1........hope this helps......Regards....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to hansfischer007 for your post:
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Tell us about Hate Belts. Never heard the term.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
SleazyRider
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansfischer007 View Post
It seemed to be a pretty common thing for WW2 soldiers to put German insignia on the captured holsters....Ive seen all sort of cap insignia that has been attached....I picked up a real nice brown PPK Holster many years ago...that had a RLB pin on the flap...(RLB was home defense)...and a friend of mine last year picked up a P-38 with holster...and the holster had original SET of SS Cap insignia on the flap.......he got over $400 just for the insignia set when he took it off the holster and resold it at our military show..then sold the holster and P-38.....said his best profit was on the insignia......so again...it was a pretty popular thing for GIs to do..........sort of like the "Hate Belts" that were the rage in WW1........hope this helps......Regards....Hans Fischer
Bingo! I think you're right about the cap insignia. I Googled that term, and came up with a website that shows front and back views: http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/sshatinsignia.htm . The pins appear to be fold-over clasps, similar to paper rivets, that seem to have the matching spacing. Interesting stuff! I'd buy a pair to see if they fit, but $500.00 is a bit over the top for me.
I appreciate your post!
SleazyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

SR, You'll find that most of these badges have been reproduced in the $10 to $20 range. That's probably the best menthod of improving this hole ridden holster. TH