LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
higherauthority
User

Default Dimples left on the spent casing

I hope this is the correct section. I am new to the world of lugers. I purchased a 1920s commercial and although I do not intent to shoot it I did bring it to the range with my P38 that I shoot often. I wanted to put just a few rounds through it. I was surprised how it shot 1000% times better then the P38. I hit 2 bulls eyes from 35 feet. I am not sure if this is normal with a p08 but the one thing I did notice after inspecting the spent casings very carefully they both had a small dimple on the side of each one about half way down. Is this normal?

It almost looked like a small reversed brail dimple. just not as large.

If you refuse to, or are too lazy to - DO NOT AQUIRE THEM.
higherauthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Yes..That is normal for many Luger cases. I have observed them myself and if they have a dimple..they were fired in a Luger. When the case is extracted it is captured by the extractor untill it 's base hits the sharp edge of the ejector..The ejector forces the cartridge case out many times straight up or sometimes to the right..I suspect the case encounters the edge of the bolt face or some edge somewhere as it is being very forcefully kicked out of the pistol and the dimple is made at this time. It's also possible the cartridge is spun upwards with such force that the extractor sticking out forward of the bolt face dimples it. Hard to tell but that's my theory!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
higherauthority
User

Ok cool. I am so surprised for a very old gun how dam acurate and nice this thing shot. No wonder they used it so long. Now I am pissed cause I need another one maybe a mis matched newer model that I could shoot often. My wife is going to hate me lol Im already saving up for another. German precision at its finest

If you refuse to, or are too lazy to - DO NOT AQUIRE THEM.
higherauthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
MFC
User

Welcome to the addiction.
Unread 10-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherauthority View Post
Ok cool. I am so surprised for a very old gun how dam acurate and nice this thing shot. No wonder they used it so long. Now I am pissed cause I need another one maybe a mis matched newer model that I could shoot often. My wife is going to hate me lol Im already saving up for another. German precision at its finest

Lugers can get very addictive to own, and to shoot. They are in a class by themselves. I, like you, find my Lugers MUCH more enjoyable and accurate to shoot compared to my P-38.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Yes..That is normal for many Luger cases. I have observed them myself and if they have a dimple..they were fired in a Luger. When the case is extracted it is captured by the extractor untill it 's base hits the sharp edge of the ejector..The ejector forces the cartridge case out many times straight up or sometimes to the right..I suspect the case encounters the edge of the bolt face or some edge somewhere as it is being very forcefully kicked out of the pistol and the dimple is made at this time. It's also possible the cartridge is spun upwards with such force that the extractor sticking out forward of the bolt face dimples it. Hard to tell but that's my theory!
Jerry,

Since he ejector is off-center, it contacts the spent cartridge base on the lower-right quadrant (as seen from the rear). This pushes the casing up and to the left, where the mouth of the case hits the inside edge of the left receiver rail on its way out. There is a slow-motion video of a Luger being fired which shows thios very clearly, somewhere on the internet (don't have a link right now).

I'm not sure that this is what the original poster is asking about.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Sky Zero
User

Mine seems to do this right at the neck. Is THAT normal?
Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote