LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 09-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
regul
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Skeeter
I work for/own a small company York River NDE, Inc. www.yorkriverndt.com here in West Point, VA. Most of our work is in the Pulp & Paper Industry. I started off in the early 80's with Industrial NDT, Inc. then Nova Data Testing Labs, Inc. then went out on my own in 2005.
Thanks
Ed
regul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
nukem556
User

Skeeter....if you ever get over here Columbia way, there are several gunshops that have Fiocchi .30 Luger for 22.00 a box. I have a 1900 Commercial that functions well, but like you, i feel the leaf spring should have more tension.

You're putting the tape in the wrong place....look at the assembled gun as if you are looking thru the rear sight..the very rear of the toggle has a projecting "tang" that sticks out...immediately below that you will see impact marks on the bluing of the frame where that tang hits at full recoil.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Use a piece of masking tape on the rear of the frame just under the rear projection of the toggle, not the breechblock. The opening motion of the toggle is stopped by the little projection on the very end of the rear toggle link striking the frame. The masking tape test is a firing test. With the masking tape in that location three things can happen 1) if the mainspring is too strong there will be little or no impression on the masking tape; 2) if the mainspring is about right there will be a light impression on the masking tape; 3) if the mainspring is too weak there will be a strong impression on the tape and sometimes it is even cut.
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #24
regul
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Skeeter
I work for/own a small company York River NDE, Inc. www.yorkrivernde.com here in West Point, VA. Most of our work is in the Pulp & Paper and Chemical Industrys. I started off in the early 80's with Industrial NDT, Inc. then Nova Data Testing Labs, Inc. then went out on my own in 2005.
Thanks
Ed
regul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #25
skeeter4206
User

Ron,
I was refering to the comment in item #19 for the breach block and the scotch tape. Karl had the same issue with the toggle not closing all the way. His problem was the leak spring dragging on the breach block. I was with you on the tape on the back of the gun.

Me being still new to some of the names of the gun parts. Im still confused on what exactly is the breach block. I was just calling the whole toggle linkage, the toggle linkage. So when Karl mentioned breach block I was a little confused.

So... if someone can help put my finger on that part.
Thanks
Skeeter
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Glen,

I call the breach block the front part of the toggle assembly that includes the firing pin housing and the extractor.
KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
skeeter4206
User

Gotcha! we are on the same page then. Thats the section I put the tape on when going through the motions of the toggle.

No signs of wear on the tape from the spring.

Thanks Karl
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote