LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

Alf,
I am sorry to have added to your confusion. The flat-button magazine is required for the very early 1900 frames that have no groove or â??reliefâ? for the magazine follower button. The flat button was threaded and screwed into the magazine follower. The buttons tended to work loose and either made it difficult to put the magazine in the gun or the button could come out and be lost. It was also very difficult to depress this small thin button to load the magazine. To overcome these problems, a raised follower button was designed to make loading easier and, rather than being threaded, the button was an interference fit into the follower and further secured by â??stakingâ? (expanding the button stud like a rivet) through a hole in the opposite side of the magazine. This new design button was also easier to use with the loading tool. Many of the early frames were re-machined, or â??relievedâ?, to allow use of this new type magazine, so an early Luger with an un-relieved frame is somewhat rare.

Unread 11-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #22
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

Albert,
I always give due respect to your opinions since you have examined the article first-hand, and the magazine does appear pristine. I have encountered a couple of bogus flat-button magazines, so I hope you will forgive my caution. Regarding â??What would be the reason to change a button to a flat-type?â?, it could be as simple as someone needing a flat-button magazine and not being able to locate an original. The more avaricious answer would be that a mint standard magazine might cost anywhere from $200-$300 depending on type, whereas a mint flat-button magazine is going to run $800-$1000, and not everyone would know how to examine a magazine to determine its authenticity.

As to â??The retaining pin at the bottom of the magazine is perfect and untouchedâ?, - G.T. (not that he has anything to do with this magazine) can undetectably swap out a magazine base virtually with his eyes closed. I suspect that there are a number of other enterprising individuals with the required talent to perform such an operation (not necessarily with their eyes closed!) if sufficiently motivated.

Since DWM had already determined the inadequacies of the flat-button design, I am a wee bit reluctant to accept that they would employ leftover flat buttons with a later type magazine tube just to use up existing stock.
Unread 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #23
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your explanations/comments regarding the configuration of flat-button magazines. Technically, you are correct when experts describe genuine flat-button magazines such as the early wood-base type and the Swiss metal insert type. I understand your caution regarding the magazine with this particular Luger pistol even though it appears pristine.

I have not had the opportunity to examine this Luger in my hands, however, I would not be able to determine a person's motive to have a flat-button magazine included with this particular pistol when there is no mention of its importance/significance while the pistol is being advertised for sale. Furthermore, with the pistol being in Argentina, I doubt somebody would go out of his way just to enhance the value of the pistol by an additional $500 by providing a (suspicious) flat-button magazine unless the pistol had previously gone through the hands of a crook. I know of a few expert crooks in South America, and if they have any intelligence, they should quickly realize that the frame on this Luger is relieved and it would be a waste of time and money to provide a flat-button magazine with this pistol - they would be better off trying to sell the magazine separately and replace it with a standard commercial magazine.

Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #24
A.Mifsin
User

Ron,
I should be sorry for keep on asking you to enrich my knowledge on my favourite gun, The Luger. Your knowledge and others like you are a great asset to this forum Thank You for a very clear visual reply.

Alfred.