LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 10-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
Jerry Harris
User

Post Photo Management

On the Classified Ad forum, there are at present two topics right next to each other : Luke's "Thor Refinished 6" Shooter" and Thor's "Thor Rework Lugers Lugers - Rust Blued and Strawed Parts." They illustrate two extremes of photo management.

Luke has two images of 172K and 176K, both within the Rennlist 180K upload limit. They would open quickly, but Luke is conservative -- he provides pointer links to them and they use up zero time unless the user chooses to look at them.

Thor has several large, beautiful images in the megabyte range (for example, the 1921 DWM left profile photo is a 976K file). They come up when the topic is selected and the user has no choice in the matter. The downside of this on my 56K bps dialup connection is that the topic takes 12 minutes to show anything on screen and 15 minutes to load completely. Thor's images were well worth waiting for, but could have been managed in a way providing more options to the user.

Two questions:

1. How do users get around the 180K Rennlist upload limit?

2. Wouldn't it be good forum policy to enforce the limit for direct uploads, and require larger files to have pointers (like Luke's) so the user gets something on screen quickly and can choose which pictures to open?
Jerry Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:33 PM   #2
Thor
User

Thumbs up

Jerry, if that is a problem for you, you dont have to get into enforcement stuff, just ask me, I will be glad to do something else. It comes to mind, I could post a small thumbnail which would load immediately then a URL to a much Large picture. Would that work for you? The Thumbnail is 18 KB and the link image is 666KB. That should really speed things up!! The link directly under the thumbnail will open up the larger picture!

1938 S/42
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
Herb
User

Thor, I'm in the same situation as Jerry, it takes a LONG time to load any photos, not just yours. I personally would rather have the link left at the old board and just posted so I could click the link if I really wanted to see the pics. These old copper telephone lines here are a real detriment even though my connection is reading 45,333 bps. Sometimes it takes up to a minute or more to connect when I just go from one topic to another. It's not your fault, we just have slow dialups, MY KINGDOM FOR A T-1!!
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:54 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Good compromise guys, it is a bit different for "us" folks in the boonies, I too have dial up and it takes a while for me.

I also like the option of seeing a larger more detailed picture also.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 07:15 PM   #5
Thor
User

Hey Guys, go back and look at the Thread mentioned as a slow loader and see how it loads for you now! Click on this link to go there! Is this better?

Thor's Rust Blued and Strawed parts Lugers for Sale
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Unread 10-09-2002, 10:26 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Herb,

I am forced to use a dial-up connection when operating from my home and my connection speed is never higher than 46K... I just don't experience these ultra waits to see most photographs... only the largest ones... and since I harvest and collect every Luger photograph I get my hands on...(Much less expensive than buying Lugers and ALMOST as enjoyable)...I want to see those big highly detailed photos as well...

This is a paradox... but to follow my hobby to my hearts content, until hi-speed internet service is availble where I live at a reasonable rate, I have just accepted the slow speed as a cost of belonging to this fraternity...

I suspect that your computer may not be configured for optimum speed... When was the last time you scrubbed all your unnecessary files, defragged your disks, deleted your temporary internet files, and basically tuned up your computer? How new is your computer? Have you had it long enough to upgrade the operating system more than once?

You may find it advantageous to backup all your personal data files, format your hard drive and reload your operating systems and applications for a fresh start... you would be surprised how much better a fresh system can perform.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Jerry Harris,

In answer to your first question that started this message thread...The 180K filesize limit does NOT apply to the new member gallery. If you haven't visited there, the link is in the left frame of Lugerforum.com homepage.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 10-09-2002, 02:30 PM   #8
Jerry Harris
User

Thor,

I tried your link in its new form, and it's great! It is, in fact, a perfect implementation of the pointers (to large files) I was advocating. Initial loading time is a matter of seconds.

Sorry about using the loaded word "enforce" when I should have stuck to "policy." I framed my question in terms of policy because (as Herb points out) the slow-loading large-picture problem has come up many times from many users, all innocent of any intent to cause inconvenience. The policy would be used to guide everyone toward helping avoid long delays in opening topics on screen.
Unread 10-09-2002, 02:51 PM   #9
Thor
User

Thumbs up

Hey Jerry, always open to good ideas!! And yours was excellent!! Thanks for helping me think how pictures are presented and download time! I think it will work very well in the future. I fully intend to implement it in future postings!!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
Unread 10-09-2002, 03:26 PM   #10
Jerry Harris
User

John S,

Thanks for your answer to my original question about breaking the 180 Kilobyte barrier. Boy, do I like this edit feature. I started to ask some dopey questions, but then for some reason had an impulse actually to read the thread on John D's Gallery feature. The only niggling thing I don't get is why Thor's pix aren't in one of the 15 current Gallery albums. But I'm sure there's a good reason such as he took them off, or I overlooked them, or he has an invisible album, or something equally obvious.
Unread 10-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Jerry,

This lesson applies to the world-wide-web in general not just to the Lugerforum pages.

Anytime you need information about a photo that you see on any web page, just place the mouse cursor over the image and right-click and you will be offered a menu of options. You can save the photo if you wish to your computer as I frequently do...

Another of the options is the "properties" choice.

If you select "properties" you will be shown a popup window that describes the physical properties of the photo including the URL or location... you can highlight, copy and paste this URL for use in your posts...

One in the edit mode for posting on the forum, if you click on the "Image" tag or button below the edit window, and you can paste the URL into the provided window entry and when you say OK, and post your message, the image should appear in your posting... Ed Tinker has posted a photo tutorial in the Site Feedback and Help forum that should answer many of your photo related questions. If you don't get it right on your first try, you can edit your own posts by using the pencil and paper icon that is located in each message space.

Hope this was helpful.

Unread 10-09-2002, 04:05 PM   #12
Jerry Harris
User

John,

Thanks once again. I was familiar with the general browser "save this image" option and have used it a lot. That's how I was able to determine the Luke and Thor file sizes for my original post.

Agreed, Ed Tinker's tutorial is excellent.

The edit feature on this forum is worth a lot to anyone who's ever had second thoughts, and that would be everyone!