LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 03-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
spacecoast
User

Default More fun with the trommel magazine

After displaying my ignorance with the proper insertion of a Luger magazine more than a month ago, I went to the range today with more knowledge and, as expected, more success.

But... not all was easy by any means. Before leaving home, I loaded 20 rounds into my GT-tuned repro snail drum. At the range, with the toggle open, the drum readily inserted into the designated slot on my Artillery Luger, but I had considerable trouble getting the first round to load as it just didn't want to strip off the top of the magazine. I removed and reinserted the drum a few times, fiddled with retracting the toggle just a bit more and finally got a round to chamber successfully. In between, I shot a regular magazine just to make sure all was well with my Luger.

On the first few shots, I noticed the gun was having a little difficulty going into battery on the new round. I helped it a bit, and finally things were working well.

I shot a total of about 75 rounds, loading the snail drum three times total. On each magazine, capturing and chambering the first round gave me some trouble, but after that things went smoothly. My thoughts at the moment are that these drums work better the more you use them and they have a chance to self-polish the snail path just a bit more. I haven't done anything yet to supplement or change the red grease, but will look at that when I've had a chance to examine the drum's interior once again.

Looking for a DWM Commercial side plate #95
spacecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to spacecoast for your post:
Unread 03-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Your observations are typical, IMO.

I find a good tap on the toggle with my hand is usually needed to strip the first round, at 32-
there is a "ton" of pressure holding the cartridge against the feed lips when that spring is pushing on it!
The following 3 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 03-31-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Drum experience!

Hi Mark, you are well on track for total success with the drum mag... That will put you in a very small and unique group!
The little quirks you encounter now, will be both Luger and / or, drum related, but all easy to overcome! In short you are winning!
First of all, the two major weakness's of the Luger to drum tuning process, are, weak main springs, and / or weak extractor springs... Don is correct in that some brisk and firm treatment of the toggle is needed on the first, and in reality, most all of the rounds past 13 to 15... You are going to have to briskly tap the toggle train home on the first round every time... Remember, everything is at the very extreme of their design parameters... any little thing can stop the whole circus... As for the drum mag itself, you are most correct in that the more it runs, the better it gets... but you can also help it by polishing any little areas you feel resistance or rough feeding etc. etc. Dremel makes a perfect tool for this and you can't polish it enough!! ... what ammo did you use?.... just curious... As for the grease, I am now sending the drums out with the inside coated with Dupont dry lube with Teflon and have had excellent results.. I also have had good results with the red grease. A member used Gen. Elect. elect. motor grease and that sounds like some slippery stuff!! I am going to use the DuPont dry lube in tandem with another , red grease, or the GE grease specified previously... Please let us know what you think works as we are still chasing down small issues and nothing is written in stone on these?... .... Best to you Mark, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #4
Sonofeugene
User

Try burnishing molybdenum or tungsten disulphide powder into surfaces. Burnish well then clean.
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Greg B.
User

In the April 2016 issue of Handloader Tierry Wieland states "The maximum length for drum ammunition is 1.098 inches, and this applies to both an original German (1917) drum and a new, Italian-made reproduction." Just one more variable to consider and as G.T. indicated there are a number of them that are important.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote