LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 07-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Pistol
User

Default Wood Grip Types

I found a wood grip tutorial that explains differences in 1908, 1906, and early luger grips. It was very helpful.

Is there such a tutorial regarding differences in P08 wood grips 1908 to 1945? I know markings will differ and Beech may have been used late imperial and into WWII.

What about interior panel structural differences? Are imperial the same as Weimar and Third Reich? Were there numbering style differences? Perhaps smaller or larger numbers depending upon era? Placment of numbers? Checkering diamond sizes? I read aftermarket repos often have coarser checkering. Is checkering on WWII era wood grips also coarser?

I'm trying to learn how to differentiate between WWII wood grips and WWI. And how to spot repos. This of course is obvious for Erfurt crowned proofed or WWII Wa 655 proofs, etc. But what about other clues especially when there are no markings.
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

See my reply on the other forum.
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
See my reply on the other forum.
So, the members of this forum are left without an answer here??? Future generations will have to search out "the other forum" (which may not exist then) to find your reply???

That doesn't seem fair.

Edit: We all know that Don is busy (busy busy busy!) so here is his reply, from "the other forum"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03man View Post
The grips look original to me, all of them.

Era is tough to say, I know of no tutorial.
Anything with an inspection is easy, Imperial grips from Erfurt have a crown/letter( the original one), any grip with a "WaA" of course is later from 1930 to 1945.

Letters are usually "workers" marks. Size of numbers vary on replacement grips. WWI grips tend to have smaller numbers, DWM grips do not have acceptance markings so the #20 grips may be DWM from 1908 to 1922.

So, if you want to sell, just price them or put them on auction- they are pretty nice looking grips.

It's unfortunate that the OP chose to post his pictures on "the other forum" so we don't get the benefit of looking at them here. I guess we also don't get the benefit of knowing where the "wood grip tutorial" is either.

But I guess that's "the breaks".

Maybe Eric has already searched out the tutorial and will post it here shortly.

It's a beautiful day outside. I think I'll go out and find some old ladies to beat up.

Last edited by sheepherder; 07-31-2017 at 10:47 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
DonVoigt
User

I don't understand why anyone posts the same question on both forums ???

I thought I was kind to mention there was an answer on the other forum, anyone can go have a look!
Let them future generations do a little work for themselves!!!

I am busy, been putting my .45 luger together. I may even post it here! Stay tuned.

I'll help you with those old ladies.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 07-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #5
Pistol
User

"It's unfortunate that the OP chose to post his pictures on "the other forum" so we don't get the benefit of looking at them here. I guess we also don't get the benefit of knowing where the "wood grip tutorial" is either. "

Why would I post photos here? My questions here did not require photos. And I just asked if there was thread/tuorial about P08 grips that help in identification. I seemed to recall one on early luger grips. I did not know it was a requirement to post links to previous threads when mentioned.

If you are really interested in the photos you can see them on the other forum. In the time it took you to make your posts here you could have looked at them since you are so concerned.

"Maybe Eric has already searched out the tutorial and will post it here shortly. "

"I don't understand why anyone posts the same question on both forums ???"

I'm not sure why anyone would care if the same or similar question or comment was posted on the other forum. I may post it in a third if I feel like it. In fact, I see people post the same exact thing on both forums all the time, like when they pick up a new gun. One reason would be just in case some are members of only one; apparently like like sheepherder.

I say most people are members of both. Also, it it is like fishing in two ponds. Does it stop you?

Sheep, I can't recall where I saw the grip tutorial/thread. Instead of waiting on Eric you could try out the very useful search tool at either forum and probably at find it there.I tried and failed to find it again. Maybe it was in the FAQs.
Unread 07-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I've already recorded my stance on links to other sites (especially YouTube videos); unless you also include a description of the link's subject and your comments/ideas on it, it doesn't give us here any idea of what that other site has to say about the subject.

Now, my opinions are mine alone and are not shared by anyone else here. When I start a thread about something that interests me and may or may not be directly Luger-related, I include lots of pictures and detailed descriptions of what it is I'm discussing (or asking about). Maybe it's asking too much but I expect others to do the same. Posting a link to an off-site video and saying "Hey! A neat Luger video!" and not describing what it's about does me no good at all. Even if I just post a link to a GB auction for, say, an Erma storage box I include a description and a picture. For something as involved as making a barrel from scratch, I can bore you to tears with all my pics and details.

Pistol, the vBulletin Search engines suck the Big Juan. Google is much better, but there are many here who must pay for bandwidth. There's also some who can't avail themselves of lengthy Searches because their employers pay for their time, Internet access, and even their computers. It's only good manners to post a link if you cite a source.

Lastly, this site is not as exhaustive as Still's site. He has twice as many sub-forums and more than twice as many members. His site is more attuned to collectors. There is not even a Repair/Restoration/Refinishing sub-forum over there. It is a more single-minded site with many more subdivisions for the more discriminating collector. LugerForum is more of a broad interest based forum. Think of LugerForum as the high school that teaches the broad historical factors while Still's is the College where you select your major and concentrate on that.

(And I'm sonnyboy over there, for many years).

I don't bekieve the intent of this Forum was to provide links to other sites.

I could go on and on but right now I'm looking for this self-proclaimed sexagenarian who 'has a nice long life ahead of her, and big plans'.
Attached Images

The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Rich,
you know that no good deed goes unpunished.
Unread 07-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Rich,
...???...When have I ever done a good deed???

("Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap!!!"...)
Unread 07-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #9
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

I think both Forums have there plus's and minus's. For the most part the same members belong to both. I do not see Jan's site as being anymore for the collector than this one. Maybe I am just a stupid high schooler but I prefer this one. Opinions are like xxxxxxxx we all have one. I do enjoy both forums. Bill
Unread 07-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
...???...When have I ever done a good deed???

("Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap!!!"...)
I was referring to MY post; everything is not about you!!!
Unread 07-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
Puretexan
User

Plus unless its just my computer, this one is way faster. I hate to click and wait. Makes
me paying for 100gb totally useless.
Puretexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
I was referring to MY post; everything is not about you!!!
Bwahahahahaha!!!

I thought of that right after I posted...But everybody loves you so you'll go unpunished...

...Unless you like that sort of thing...Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puretexan View Post
Plus unless its just my computer, this one is way faster. I hate to click and wait. Makes me paying for 100gb totally useless.
There were several posts in the Off Topic forum on Still's site about strange browser/HTML interpretations and slow load times...I don't notice them, but several other members there have...Supposedly Ed knows about it...
Unread 08-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
Pistol
User

I actually tried to post the photos on this forum first, but it bogged down for some reason. So, I posted them on the Stills forum. The posts were not identical. There it was more, "what do I have" and here, "is there a thread on P08 grip styles". I wanted to make sure what I had was original before selling. And Don kindly gave his opinion on the other site.

I agree about third party sites like photo bucket, but the other forum is not photo bucket. Not quite the same.

Again, Sonny or Sheep, if you are interested in my photos you can easily go to the other forum and check them out. Since you are a member there also, than it should be simple for you and take little time and effort,......or you can spend your time and efforts worrrying and commenting on others members posts and giving your opinions on trivial matters such as this, that I'm sure no one on either forum cares about.

I personally like both forums and will continue to learn from both and, post what I want on both, of course within the rules.

I had a similar comment from a concerned member about "posting on both forums" back 8 or 9 years ago when I had just joined both forums. Still years later, I can't fathom why a member cares if one chooses to post a similar post on another forum. Who cares?

One can simply move on without commenting when they see a similar post. That is what I do. I don't have to comment on every little thing that I may personally find annoying. What is more annoying and a waste of time: (1) a similar post on multiple sites, or (2) posts complaining about similar posts on multiple sites? I'll say the later.
Unread 08-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
...it should be simple for you and take little time and effort,...or you can spend your time and efforts worrrying and commenting on others members posts and giving your opinions on trivial matters such as this, that I'm sure no one on either forum cares about...
That's the boy! You'll fit right in here!

I have an outside Internet account these days, not encumbered with corporate or governmental restrictions on viewing content, but others here do have such restrictions. Some of them are the very people who could answer your questions. I'd like to hear their answers too.
Unread 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #15
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Rich,
Took me a while, but I got you...finally...

Oh, well. Hope springs eternal!
Unread 08-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Sorry this is the best I could do and Its ours!~http://search.aol.com/aol/video?s_it...nt97_searchbox I searched well over a hour and could not find your reference in post one! Maybe some help or direction! My finger is numb! Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	great 001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	67595  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
DonVoigt
User

My comment on posting in two similar forums- just being me and an old guy who can't remember where he put his reading glasses:

-I have to read the same thing twice, usually this dawns on me half way through.
-I try to remember if I answered it the first or second time- and the corollary is "I answered this, so why is the answer not here?"
-So then I go to the other forum and see if it was there.
-Ok so I answered it on forum A, now I'm on forum B, so I'll say I answered on "A".

-Then I get bashed for not answering the same question two places!

Can't win.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 08-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Cowards!! Thank You for your wonderful sharing! I guess some have nothing constructive to add except criticism, Thank You Again!!!I'm definitely one of your most loyal fans for years~ Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 08-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #19
Pistol
User

Eric,

It was not a restoration tutorial. It was a post about differentiating between early grip styles (1900 and 1906) with later the 1908 style. If I recall correctly the main point of the thread was pointing out the difference of the cut-out for the grip safety, where applicable in the earlier models.

In fact, I am not sure it was an official tutorial or even labled a tutorial. Furthermore, it had nothing to do with the meat of my question, which was basically " are these grips original". Then I also asked if there was a Grip post/tutorial on 1908 Grip differences through the three periods.

I could not find but will look again.
The following member says Thank You to Pistol for your post:
Unread 08-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #20
Pistol
User

Quote:
My comment on posting in two similar forums- just being me and an old guy who can't remember where he put his reading glasses:

-I have to read the same thing twice, usually this dawns on me half way through.
-I try to remember if I answered it the first or second time- and the corollary is "I answered this, so why is the answer not here?"
-So then I go to the other forum and see if it was there.
-Ok so I answered it on forum A, now I'm on forum B, so I'll say I answered on "A".

-Then I get bashed for not answering the same question two places!

Can't win.
It can get confusing. Just like I can't recall where I saw the earlier post about grip styles.

I think your comment that "no good deed goes unpunished" must be true. For you comitted a good deed by answering my question on the other forum. And then another good deed by informing me here of your answer on this forum. Then I committed a good deed by thanking you. Yet our reward is pettiness.

I guess another wise man was correct when he said: " the ambition to excel in petty things obstructs the progress to noble aims". Unless Eric can save the day by finding that important grip thread for Sunny.