LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 05-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Tony Sandrin
User

Default Matching magazine question

Considering how much value is added to a matching magazine/Luger set, and how tough it can be to find a matching set, would it have been common for the magazines to be mismatched during the war? I know that Third Reich produced P08s were issued with two magazines, but I wonder how often they would have been mismatched during training, range days, in the field, etc.

So, historically speaking, would most of the issued Lugers have made it through the war with their factory matched mags and they just ended up being mismatched post-war or would a large amount have been mismatched while in service use? Is there any hard evidence to support either of these theories?
Tony Sandrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Tony,
Welcome to the forum! German soldiers in the two World Wars had little consideration for the needs of 21st century Luger collectors and they mixed magazines without a second thought. The matching magazine survival rate varies from a low of about 2% for Imperial Lugers to a high of about 10% for Kreighoffs, which saw little service at the front. More accurate statistics are not possible due to the large number of faked magazines.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 05-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

It was my understanding that when the Germans were disarmed during surrender and/or capture, that the pistols were thrown in one pile, and the magazines in another, as the weapons were cleared of ammo. Then, usually, when an enterprising GI would want a "German Luger" to take home, they would pick a pistol out of one pile, and a mag out of the other, of course not paying any attention to "matching numbers", thus contributing to the great number of mismatched mags.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

gunbugs, I have heard this story too, from vets and have watched video and pictures of it. I also was told by more than one old timer collector that they personally observed, and/or did themselves, took each rig and split it up for more money. extra mag sold, holster, tool, gun, could have been complete rig but they didn't make any extra money for them I was told, so split them up...

Norm, although I agree with you, but since I have seen what I believe were likely period matched guns, either renumbered or newly made (wood base matching, aluminium also) that it seems to me that the weimar and then third Reich, when they could, kept them numbered to the gun. I think in the thick of war no one cared, that is my military thoughts on it. But peace time, or in the rear, or police, that if numbered mags were required, they were required and kept that way... too much emphasis on proper numbering on all parts.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree that military P08s with either one or two matching FACTORY mags are difficult to find. Police lugers on the other hand, quite often would have had up to 3 matching mags, added by the department and a numbered holster, which the cop receiving it, was responsible to keep together, which shouldn't have been too difficult in a non-combat envirament. TH ps:Most DDR reworks also had 2 new 2/1001 mags added as part of the rework procedure.

Last edited by Lugerdoc; 05-02-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: additional info
Lugerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote