LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
mollydodger
User

Default re-crown barrel

Is it necessary to remove the barrel on a Lugerin order to recut the crown? thanks for all help!!!
mollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default it can be done!

First you need access to a lathe that has a big enough hole in the spindle to accept the receiver, then you need to make a tapered sleeve set to clamp / hold the barrel in the chuck concentrically. Then you clamp it all in a four jaw chuck, or keep clamping and rotating, and clamping and rotating with a three jaw chuck, (lazy mans way!) until you get it zeroed out... Remove the snug fitted rod out of the barrel that you used for the dial indicator and walla!!! Re-cut your crown with what ever tool fits your fancy!! By the time you get this far, you'll definitely know which tool to use... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT

Oops! Almost forgot? You're most certainly going to have to know how to run a big lathe.. (I know, just like a small one!) Or have a good friend that knows what you don't!!!
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

How about a photo showing the current condition of your muzzle crown? It may not be as bad as you think...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
mollydodger
User

Default recrown help

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
First you need access to a lathe that has a big enough hole in the spindle to accept the receiver, then you need to make a tapered sleeve set to clamp / hold the barrel in the chuck concentrically. Then you clamp it all in a four jaw chuck, or keep clamping and rotating, and clamping and rotating with a three jaw chuck, (lazy mans way!) until you get it zeroed out... Remove the snug fitted rod out of the barrel that you used for the dial indicator and walla!!! Re-cut your crown with what ever tool fits your fancy!! By the time you get this far, you'll definitely know which tool to use... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT

Oops! Almost forgot? You're most certainly going to have to know how to run a big lathe.. (I know, just like a small one!) Or have a good friend that knows what you don't!!!
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked this question is because I was not sure if a lathe with a large enough spindle hole to allow for the receiver would be able to clamp the barrel given its short length. I have run lathes many times over my 65+ years but not large ones. again, thanks for your time and input.

while we are at it, do you know of anyone who can do such a job?
mollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default I can do it, but so can you!

Hi Molly dodger, You can always do it the shade tree gunsmiths way, use the lathe to cut a chamfer or radius on the end of a (short!) steel rod. Then using a small drill, coat the end of the barrel, or tool, with lapping compound and holding the drill and tooling you just made straight off the end of the barrel, slowly and lightly resurface/recut the crown! It only takes a little and you can track your concentricity by the polish marks and depth...
If you decide to go the lathe route, you will need a boring bar to cut the taper for the aluminum barrel sleeves... It would only need an inch plus to hold for that type of job... you could probably modify a tool to bore with in that short of distance...Good luck, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 04-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

If you have a barrel vise and a Luger receiver wrench, it can be a quick & easy job. The barrel vise insert can even be used in the lathe chuck. The pic below shows a member doing something with a barrel that has been removed from the receiver. The aluminum insert is a two-piece part, and the chuck is a 3-jaw. I assume the member centered the bore before machining.

G.T. has considerable experience in Luger barrel work of this kind.
Attached Images

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default picture is worth?

Rich has it pictures perfectly!!!!! That is Exactly how you do it, although the "less" lathe you have, the closer to the chuck jaws you want the work to be?... .... Excellent pic Rich! ...til...lat'r...GT
Unread 04-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
Rick W.
User

Being able to have a lathe with a large spindle is close to heaven, kinda odd statement, but having fussed with lesser machines; the thought sticks.

As you know one cannot chuck up tapered stuff too well, hence the suggestion for a tapered bushing. After all, the taper is in front of you on the actual barrel.

I could see an adjust true 6 jaw chuck being a nice thing(kinda a 6jaw faced with a 4 jaw). A set of deltronic pins or an Interapid test indicatior. Perhaps for those of us so inclined, an English bell chuck; but all in all, one uses what one has.........

The less the barrel extends from the holding mechanism(chuck, bushing) the less deflection the work will have during the light touch with a very sharp tool.

The ball shaped tool coated with valve compound is an old method..........does work if the crown is not messed up too badly.

The crown to me is the minute section that last touches the bullet upon exit. The flare etc is for looks and or protection. So if the dink on the flare does not get to the actual crown, the job can become more easy................sometimes.....
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: