LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #41
KABAR2
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I don't think so; if you meant who made them for Numrich.

Not something they would broadcast, JMO.

There are no signs on the drum itself, so if "legally" marked as required; they were likely made in the USA- though I would not wager any sum of $ on it.
I would wager a guess they are made overseas and come in with a sticker with country of origin once in the hands of Gun Parts the sticker falls off ...... I have seen this in manufacturing where product is imported and a made in USA label is sewn into the bag/pack/etc......
KABAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #42
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default drums....

Hi to all, I have no idea where the drums are manufactured, other than it was a one shot contract, and no extra parts?.... But, the current delay in the revision program is probably due to my being AWOL the last two months!.... I have just this week, started right where I left off... only it will now be early Oct. before I can send any to Numrich... I have 40 in the revision stage right now, 35 for Numrich and 5 for customers..... It is a lot of work for anyone, and with my current status almost impossible.... but, in South Dakota, we had a saying when up to your windshield wipers in snow.. "If you're moving, you ain't stuck!" .... and so it goes...... GT......
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #43
SIGP2101
User

Every few years a batch of re-pro mags surface on the market. How does this batch compare in quality with that other batch that serial number digits when add up together end up with same number every time? Number was 16 or 17 or something like that.
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #44
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

G.T. Your our hero!!!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #45
KABAR2
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi to all, I have no idea where the drums are manufactured, other than it was a one shot contract, and no extra parts?.... But, the current delay in the revision program is probably due to my being AWOL the last two months!.... I have just this week, started right where I left off... only it will now be early Oct. before I can send any to Numrich... I have 40 in the revision stage right now, 35 for Numrich and 5 for customers..... It is a lot of work for anyone, and with my current status almost impossible.... but, in South Dakota, we had a saying when up to your windshield wipers in snow.. "If you're moving, you ain't stuck!" .... and so it goes...... GT......
Well I should have one from Gunparts on Wednesday hopefully it has your "Circle GT mark" .....
Unread 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #46
SIGP2101
User

Loooong time ago MGC made two versions, one that would accept 7 and one that would accept 32 rounds. Not certain if they made loader for 32 rounds version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FakeMGCTrommel.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	61400  

SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #47
Eugen
User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABAR2 View Post
Well I should have one from Gunparts on Wednesday hopefully it has your "Circle GT mark" .....
Cool! ...and remember you owe us a detailed range report on that bad boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGP2101 View Post
Loooong time ago MGC made two versions, one that would accept 7 and one that would accept 32 rounds. Not certain if they made loader for 32 rounds version.
Nice. So which one is pictured 7 or 32? How does it perform?
Unread 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #48
KABAR2
User

Well late this afternoon was a happy day a package from GPC arrived inside was another box.... it showed that is is one of GT's revisions

On the side was this label

And the mark that means everything.....

and the loader and instruction manual in English

Was feeling like a kid on Christmas day.... until I slipped it in.... it began to bind... I took out the grip screws and grips to see where the issue was.....

I have not had a chance to get my Micrometer out of the machine shop but it appears the nose on the mag portion of the drum is just a little larger than a standard Luger mag.... I see two options... lightly squeezing the nose to draw it in slightly (risk damage) or stoning and polishing the mag well in the Luger.... the gun has been refinished I consider it a shooter so I am not going to hurt value by polishing the that area to give additional clearance....

Over all I am satisfied with the product and GT's efforts in making this a usable magazine.... I am not faulting GT on this let me make that clear.... Hope over the weekend to have it up and running for a range report..... till then......

Last edited by KABAR2; 09-19-2016 at 07:03 PM.
The following 3 members says Thank You to KABAR2 for your post:
Unread 09-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #49
KABAR2
User

Went home and ruminated over this problem ...
now in the light of a new day I am going to use the Micrometer and
measure not only the nose of the snail drum but also the Luger...
I want to determine if it is possible squeezed in the area where the binding occurred....
if so I may apply a spot of heat locally to the area and tap it out with a brass punch....
I'll let you know which I find later.....
The following member says Thank You to KABAR2 for your post:
Unread 09-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #50
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

if so I may apply a spot of heat locally to the area and tap it out with a brass punch....Bad idea IMHO.

You might want to confir with GT. He may have a better or simple fix.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #51
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

The area and fit you point out is one of the main problems with the repro drums.
There is a tolerance in the mag well, and the drums are at max or over.

Some drums just WILL not fit some lugers, solution is switch lugers, or reduce the size of the mag body on the drum.

Usually less than half a millimeter is all that is the problem, either use a hammer and tap the "big" spot in, or file it and sand it down a little. then polish and lube.

I have done this to both my repro mags to get an easy fit, and I still have a couple lugers that are so "minimum" that even a modified drum won't slide in easily.
Unread 09-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #52
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Sounds like the cavernously oversized mag wells of the Houston stainless Lugers would be happy with the mags un-insertable in originals!
Unread 09-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #53
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Drum beat! More info!

Hi Allen, glad to see you got one of the first revision drums from my shop... just a little back ground to help you "tune" your drum into obedience!.... When reforming the drums to fit, I only press die re-formed, (squeezed) the rear section of the mag tube to make it fit a couple of relatively tight Luger test frames... All that leave the shop fit those frames... on your particular unit, I would slightly squeeze the "wide" area of the feed lip area to make it fit... but, just enough.... Go slow, and work thru the sticking points.... one you have it fitting well, we can go further on the tuning... As Don will tell you, you CAN NOT over polish the inside of the drum mag tube and shell, the more you polish and the smoother it gets, all the better...... friction is our enemy??... It may not work right out of the box without some tuning.. but everything is there and it should stand up to any and all use and most abuse?... If you can work thru some of the small issues, it will come around... Also, I will repair or tune the drum for you at no charge, including postage until it works for you to your satisfaction... As long as it has that GT mark you're covered! BTW, use WW white box 115 target ammo for your initial testing?... Keep me in the loop ... and best of luck to all....til....lat'r.....GT.....
Unread 09-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #54
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Well late this afternoon was a happy day a package from GPC arrived inside was another box.... it showed that is is one of GT's revisions
They look like nice pictures. It's a shame that future members of this forum will never see them.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #55
KABAR2
User

Thanks GT I will try your method later today and report back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
They look like nice pictures. It's a shame that future members of this forum will never see them.
Why wouldn't "future members" not see them?
Unread 09-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #56
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Thanks GT I will try your method later today and report back

Why wouldn't "future members" not see them?

Because they are hosted on an outside server!
Please go to the trouble to upload them to the forum - that way they will be here.

Links to outside server pictures or hosts disappear for different reasons, but with great regularity. And reading old posts and not so old posts with "picture not found" is not extremely helpful.

You went to a lot of trouble to do good pictures and a great write up- it would be a shame to lose its impact.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #57
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Because they are hosted on an outside server!
Please go to the trouble to upload them to the forum - that way they will be here.

Links to outside server pictures or hosts disappear for different reasons, but with great regularity. And reading old posts and not so old posts with "picture not found" is not extremely helpful.

You went to a lot of trouble to do good pictures and a great write up- it would be a shame to lose its impact.
Here's an example -

Unread 09-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #58
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGP2101 View Post
Model Gun Corp of Japan made those back in the '60's, along with a number of almost exact copies of the Luger, Bergman, MP-40, etc. That drum fit their Luger and Bergman.

IIRC, the steel was a thinner gauge but pretty accurate otherwise.

I would guess that it would fit a 'real' Luger as well. My [early 60's] MGC MP-40 modelguns interchange magazines with a 'real' MP-40 and vice versa. .

Last edited by sheepherder; 09-17-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Unread 09-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #59
KABAR2
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Here's an example -

Good point I've been doing it old school from the time that forums didn't provide photo hosting, I'll edit with photos hosted here... Though I have maintained my photos since around 2002 so there are some pretty oily threads out there with my photos .... But still a good idea to put them here I can free up space on my storage then
The following member says Thank You to KABAR2 for your post:
Unread 09-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #60
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default pinch point

BTW, in looking over the pictures again, the problem may be the mag release button?... Remove it from the frame, and see if the mag fits unimpeded.... It looks like that, more so than frame issues?..... Also, there is considerable variance in the P.08 mag catch parts as well.... just a thought....GT....