LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts
Default Marvel Mystery Oil

I've noticed many threads/posts asking what is best to clean/store Lugers. This is what the Marine Corps used back in 1969-70.

Boot Camp, Perris Island. Graduation, after 10-12 weeks of basic training. The day before Final Inspection, we spent the morning detail cleaning our M-14's. In the afternoon, the DI's had a 55 gal drum (cut in half lengthwise and mounted on steel legs) half filled with a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and gasoline. We dipped our rifles (minus stock) in the mix and swirled it around and then hung it up to drip-dry. The gasoline would evaporate leaving a thin layer of the Marvel Oil behind. The next day we would dress up for Final Inspection with our rifles. The inspecting officers would ask questions about what we had learned.

(It was my bad luck to get inspected by Colonel Perrich, CO of the Recruit Training Battalion. When he got to me, I was supposed to come to Present Arms and he would take my rifle and inspect it while asking questions. When he came to me, my sweaty hand slipped. I din't drop the rifle, but it didn't come up either. Col Perrich looked me in the eye and said "You want to try that again, son?". I said, "Yes, Sir!" and managed to get it up to Present Arms. He snatched it away, twirled it around and looked at every part while asking "What's your second General Order?" I replied, "Sir, my second General Order is: To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight and hearing, Sir!".

Some things you never forget).

The Marvel Mystery Oil was great. The inspecting officers wore white cotton gloves, and my memory is that none were stained during our inspection.

I was in my local hardware store (a real one) and noticed that it is still made. I got a bottle, as I have been using 3in1 Oil for my firearms. 3in1 works great too, but is heavier than Marvel, so I picked up a bottle. A lot of my handguns are stored for years without being shot, and only cleaned occasionally. I'll be cleaning and dipping my handguns in the 50/50 Marvel mix and then placing them back in my safe.

Just thought I'd post this for general information. Everyone has their own favorite preservatives for their Lugers. Marvel will be mine.

Second pic shows Col Perrich and my SDI, SSGT Willis, inspecting one of the guys in my platoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marvel.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	70744  

Name:	inspection.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	70745  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 11 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 01-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I've always wondered what was really in that stuff, besides red dye I mean!
Unread 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I've always wondered what was really in that stuff, besides red dye I mean!
Sewing machine oil maybe??? De-hydrated diesel fuel??? Straight kerosene???

They put it in plastic bottles now. Used to be in tin cans, like pint/quart booze flasks. I liked the tin cans better.

It's amazing this stuff is still around and is still being advertised as a 'top end lube' for automobile engines. One thing we were taught back in the 60's, was never put Marvel Mystery Oil or STP in your engine. All they did was change the weight. STP turned 30 wt oil into 40 wt. Marvel was the opposite; 30 wt turned into 20 wt.

But at least STP is useful for case lube.
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

As I recall, if you got STP mixed with engine oil it became super slippery... in fact if you got it on your hands, it was so slippery that you couldn't pick up tools like a screwdriver or pliers... they just slipped right out of your hands. In the advertisements, it was recommended by race car drivers to make your engine run FAST as the slippery properties were supposed to reduce engine friction... but the pro race car drivers didn't bother to mention that the engines they used it in for racing were torn down and cleaned every week... so it had no chance to be harmful to your engine.

I think I also recall that it was reported that using it would eventually cause a lot of sludge to form in your engine... I stopped using it in cars around 1980..., but it does make good case lube.

I never used Marvel Mystery Oil for anything... Quaker State oil is the worst motor oil I have ever used... lots of sludge between oil changes. Pennzoil on the other hand, has always worked well for me... stays clean a long time. I still insist on it when I have someone else change the oil in my vehicles.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 01-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I still have one of the old cans...have had it for years and even use it sometimes!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MMO.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	70765  

Unread 01-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
Eugen
User

Talking

Interesting story; thanks for sharing.

I've noticed Marvel Mystery oil on the shelf of auto parts stores since the mid-60s, but never felt the inclination to ever buy it. I don't think I could ever get past the name. Nothing rings of snake oil more than the words "Marvel" or "Mystery " in the name. Well, unless it was preceded with some doctor's name like, "Dr. Tinker's Marvel Mystery oil". Now wouldn't that be a fun name?

All joking aside, I just have never bought a can/quart and have always wondered about it.
Unread 01-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
Interesting story; thanks for sharing.

I've noticed Marvel Mystery oil on the shelf of auto parts stores since the mid-60s, but never felt the inclination to ever buy it. I don't think I could ever get past the name. Nothing rings of snake oil more than the words "Marvel" or "Mystery " in the name. Well, unless it was preceded with some doctor's name like, "Dr. Tinker's Marvel Mystery oil". Now wouldn't that be a fun name?

All joking aside, I just have never bought a can/quart and have always wondered about it.
I never found a need for it either! Cool can though.

Motor Honey and STP -yes- when my cars were old enough to smoke! The thick stuff ran through a little slower.
Unread 01-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #8
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Quaker State oil is the worst motor oil I have ever used... lots of sludge between oil changes. Pennzoil on the other hand, has always worked well for me... stays clean a long time. I still insist on it when I have someone else change the oil in my vehicles.
And that's EXACTLY the opposite to what I've learned and observed. Go figure!

I wouldn't use Pennzoil in my lawnmower!
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Zorba for your post:
Unread 01-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #9
hayhugh
User

Ditto...
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
And that's EXACTLY the opposite to what I've learned and observed. Go figure!

I wouldn't use Pennzoil in my lawnmower!
Everyone is entitle to choose whatever oil they think is best, but here is my story in more detail...

In the mid 1970's I took my 1968 Chevy Nova to a local Augusta Georgia mechanic who had a great word of mouth reputation and asked him to change the oil and filter as my active duty commitments at the time prevented me from doing it myself...

I had always changed my oil every 4-5000 miles. (I was also born and lived in the Quaker State (PA) for about half my life...) so when he asked what oil I wanted to use, and I told him Quaker State, since it was all I had ever used...

Remember that many of the auto racing greats at the time were spokespersons for Quaker State oil and recommended it. But the same logic applies here that I mentioned above about STP.

Professional racing machines are torn down every couple of weeks and rebuilt... so the oil only has to last that long... Even though Quaker State is one of the oil brands he stocked, he said he said he wouldn't recommend that I do that.

I had purchased the car new and it had about 40K miles on it at the time... he took the time to remove my valve cover and show me the sludge on top of the head... I was appalled. Then he pulled the valve cover on a similar car that he owned since new and had more mileage than my own. The oil gallery on top of the head had NO sludge. He told me he only used Pennzoil or Valvoline oil, and he changed the oil and filter at the same frequency that I used.

You might call this an anecdotal story, but I know what my eyes saw inside those valve covers. I never bought another drop of Quaker State oil after that.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 01-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
DonVoigt
User

John,
my experience with QS oil and others is similar, same sludge , same conclusion, won't use it even today.

The "scientific" explanation- accurate back in the day- is that PA oil is heavy in higher molecular weight fractions or what we would call "waxes". Hence the tendency to form sludge.

Of course this is back in the day before the many additives to motor oil and refinements to the "detergent" properties. The old oils had no "detergent" added.

But in all fairness to QS, 4-5K was way to long to wait to change oil back in the '70s! So you did contribute to the problem.

Any way- back to lugers- just to stay on topic.
I would not soak my "anything" in a mix of gas/mystery oil- sounds like a recipe for disaster! And very messy. JMHO.
Unread 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

A couple of old time collectors I knew used to keep a small square of sheepskin, still with the fleece, lightly oiled with Mystery Oil to wipe down their Lugers after each show or when they had been handled a bit more than usual. It was a ritual with them and the guns stayed looking pretty good.
Ron
Unread 01-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil in all of my air tools for decades. It seems to keep them working 100% to date.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #14
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil in all of my air tools for decades. It seems to keep them working 100% to date.
That is likely a good use; 3 in 1 does the same job for me.
For air tools a quart of either would last many years.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 01-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
That is likely a good use; 3 in 1 does the same job for me.
For air tools a quart of either would last many years.
I used to use ATF in my air wrench. It seemed to work OK.
Unread 01-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #16
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
...he took the time to remove my valve cover and show me the sludge on top of the head...
Sounds like a typical Penzoil motor, I've seen a few. *shrug*

I dunno!
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Zorba for your post:
Unread 01-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #17
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I used to use ATF in my air wrench. It seemed to work OK.
I think pretty much any low viscosity oil is ok! but not one with detergent, or it may "foam".
Unread 01-26-2018, 04:17 AM   #18
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I've never seen it, and in all these years I've never heard of anyone using it here.
Recently I can't find Hoppe's 9 either.
Unread 01-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Recently I can't find Hoppe's 9 either.

Now I would be in trouble if I couldn't find my old standby Hoppe's #9!!! I have used this stuff for decades with great success......and I love the smell. In fact, I used some this morning to clean my Colt LW commander that I took to the range yesterday. Everything is now clean and lubed....ready for the next trip.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2018, 01:03 AM   #20
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

I've got a gallon jug of marvel sitting on the floor of the shop. A friend who works at an auto parts store was told to throw out a load of discontinued/aged items. He threw them out into the back of his truck. Stopped by and let me take my pick. That was one of the items. The label was pretty sun faded, it had been on the shelf a long time.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote