LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Revolvr
User

Default .30 Luger Snap Caps

I can't help it. I pick up my Luger and it says "Pull my trigger". I understand dry firing is not recommended, but there is no such thing as a .30 Luger snap cap that I can find.

Anyone know where to find these, or have any creative ideas on how to make a .30 Luger snap cap?

Thx

-- Dan
Revolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Do not leave your Luger cocked and you can pull the trigger to your heart's content. When closing the action, rather than just letting it close on its own, hold back the trigger and slowly lower the toggle. With the trigger held back the sear will not engage the firing pin and it will not be cocked. This of course is done with an EMPTY weapon!
Unread 01-12-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
Snakeman
User

You can make a snap cap by using a .30 Luger casing, punch out the old primer and replace with a piece of hard polyurethane rubber. Glue it in place with "LiquiSole" or "LiquiSeal" made by the Elaston Company in Akron, Ohio. These ar both polyurethane rubber in a toluene solvent, the "LiquiSeal" being a lot runnier than "LiquiSole". Both take about 24 hours to harden completely. Replace the bullet, and there you go: a snap cap that you can use to check cycling and feeding function, as the snap cap has the same dimensions as a real round. I have been using these home made snap caps on many of my center fire guns for many years and have found that they last for a long time of dry firing practice with no damage to the firing pins- when the snap caps show wear, just replace the rubber or make a new one (easier to do).
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
unspellable
User

A safety caution. With no bullet, it's a snap cap. With a bullet it's a dummy and should have holes drilled in the side walls to positively identify it as such.
unspellable is online now   Reply With Quote