LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
thefrail2000
New User

Question **Luger Help Please**

I have recently come into ownership of the Luger shown below. I have no back ground information on it due to its last "owner" passing away. I myself am fairly new to the collecting field, and have been doing some searching online, trying to find out more about this piece, but have had no luck. After reading through this forum, Im confident that some one here will have an idea, or know where to look to find out more about this pistol. Ive done my best with the pictures provided, and will take more if needed/requested.
The pistol does have some dust/dirt on it from over the years of being in the box, I have yet to wipe the weapon down, let alone take it apart.
On a side note, the pistol came with several other items, unrelated to the pistol, I have included those pictures at the end of the post.
Any and all help on finding out more about this piece would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry about the dirty hands, was cleaning my M1 Carbine before taking the pictures.

I forgot to comment, but the only damage that I can see, on the outside, is some slight pitting on the front of the barrel. The one picture of that doesn't show it to well, but its there. But the inside of the barrel looks brand spanking new.
thefrail2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
alvin
User

I heard an expert saying "Oh, the humanity!" (not my words). If it's an inheritance, it's OK, IMO.

Does it have "?? foundation" stamp somewhere, on the box?

======
Sorry, just answered a phone call. Did not finish earlier.....

It's not a regular/conventional collectible. Engraved guns are usually expansive, but only factory engraved guns keep value. The market for aftermarket engraving, no matter how tasteful it was done, is very small. Unless it came cheap, and you do want one, otherwise......
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I strongly concur with Alvin. This Luger, manufactured by Mauser (whose wartime production code at the time of manufacture was "byf") has been "customized" to suit the tastes of the previous owner, It has no specific collector value. But as a shooter it is worth at least $750 and anything more than that would entirely depend on how much someone enjoyed the look of the modifications... while the engraving doesn't look like it was done by convicts with files, it does not add to the value. The gun has been strongly buffed, and though you said the bore is in excellent condition the photos look like the bore is in apparently poor condition compared to the rest of the gun, but that may just be the photos and lighting. The grips are swiss replacements, and are not original german in origin. The magazine is the FXO type and is of high quality, but the finish is suspect since the gun has been refinished. It is the correct magazine for this vintage Luger. The magazine is worth at least $100 and probably more all by itself. The box is worth about $50...but there is no way to determine if the Nazi insignias are genuine since they appear to have had the silver finish polished off... Sorry it couldn't be better news...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Brad

The bore looked a little green to me, could be copper oxidation. I would run some of your favorite bore cleaner through it with a nylon brush. Maybe it would clean up nicely. The blueing looks to be older because of the purplish hue.
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

As i said on Jan's forum, this is reminicent of the engraved, boxed guns I saw in the 1970's early 1980's that were sold, much like the Mitchel arms ones now.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Steinar
User

A little too 'nazi-glorifying' looking setup in my eyes..
not many people would think it came like that from the factory, so you risk beeing 'judged' accordingly when showing it to someone. Perhaps toning it down somewhat?

Just my 2�¸re
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
thefrail2000
New User

Im just showing it as it was when I received it. Not trying to glorify anything.
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

This would appear to be a "Fantasy" luger, advertised as "SS Presentation" or what-every in some of the gun magazines for big bucks -- $2500+. In the opinion of most Forum members, this is a waste of what might have previously been a collectable original firearm. TH
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
supersamn
User

you have BEST looking LUGER!!!... enjoy....

people love collectorble lugers not LUGER ???...... ~{*.*}~
supersamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Steinar
User

sorry.. just currious
~{*.*}~ <--- is it a face where the '~' represent the ears?
Unread 08-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
supersamn
User

Yes.... �¤�¾�¤�¾�¤�¾
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Hugh
RIP

:icon107:Well......not being a purist, an having lately developed an affinity for engraved guns, I must disagree with my esteemed colleagues as to the desirability of it.

Actually the engraving on this Luger is more "carving" than engraving, as part of the metal around the engraving is removed to create a "3 dimensional" effect. This work was not done by an amatuer, but by a professional with quite a few years experience. At todays prices, the engraving job would probably cost around $2500 or more. I personally find it a very attractive gun.
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
alvin
User

There are some people collecting the engraved guns, not many, but those guns do pass from hand to hand on the market. How did I know? I had one in the past, sold to get my $$ back, not cheap (it's my first & last "special" gun). Waiting for the right buyer to show up took a while. The category is very special. There is another very special category called "miniature", also expansive, has its small special interest group as well.

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
Rod WMG
User

I've hesitated to express an opinion on this as that's all I have, a pure, personal opinion.

I too thought the engraving/carving/whatever well done. I even liked it till we got to the barrel. There the "extra" work on the muzzle end and sight were unnecessary in my eyes. It was garish and distracting, particularly the front sight. It totally ruined the effect for me.

Sorry to be so blunt, but with engraving, it's either I like it or I don't. It's a very personal thing.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
thefrail2000
New User

I completely agree with you in regards to engraving. I shy away from weapons with engraving, I prefer the military issued look.
Unread 08-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #16
davjed
User

Would this fall into the bar-b-que gun category.......
davjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #17
Steinar
User

Perhaps Mr supersamm tried an Ascii code not allowed here, all black squares or something? ..or it may be so that if you stare long enough on it, you see an elephant riding a monocycle
Unread 08-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #18
Steinar
User

Tac; Then we will be neighbours three weeks from now, I will then be over in China for a week. Feel free to take the boat over for a cup of cofffee or if you need to borrow some sugar.

Don't forget your seatbelt,
Steinar
Unread 08-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #19
Steinar
User

haha.. never underestimate the devastation three vikings on ricewine can cause

Take care,
don't forget your helmet eighter, especially if your 'ride' is a Chery or Tuk-tuk
Unread 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #20
supersamn
User

Hi Mr Tac....
Originally posted by Morgan Kane
sorry.. just currious ~{*.*}~ <--- is it a face where the '~' represent the ears?

Yes that is LUGER ear....... and this and that . �¤�¾�¤�¾�¤�¾ ,,, �¤�»�¤�»�¤�» is top secret ....

sam 2111