LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Zamo
User

Default Finally received! 1937 S/42 !!!

Well, it's been a long time coming, what with shipping across the U.S., and a NICS "Delay" (I always get delayed...very inconvenient), but now I have my new pistol, and am very pleased with it.
I thought I'd share some pics with the community.
I bought it from Les Kraft, of Kustom Kraft Gunsmithing in New Jersey. He called it 98%, and I don't think I'd go that high, especially on the problematic left side, but the rest is very nice, and crisp with sharp edges in all the right places. Everythings matching except the mags. It came with an S/42 marked replacement mag, and I picked up another E63 at the gunshow in Puyallup, WA. today.
The terrible thing is, I almost bought two more Lugers while there. I think I have been bitten. Next one I want is a WW1 DWM. Curse my addictive "must have it" nature!!!

Initially I was disappointed as the pics I had seen on GB while buying it didn't show the sideplate wear well enough, but on the plus side, they also didn't show how nice the rest of the pistol was, so it averages out in my mind.
I have had two Lugers in the past, but am by no means anything but an amateur on them. It doesn't look reblued to me, as it is crisp and there is lots of machining visable in places. I think I got a good one.
It came with the obligatory "G.I. bring home, got it from his widow" story, which is so common, that it seems meaningless whether it's true or not. What do you think?
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

looks like a winner to me. Those 1937's must have been issued to folks who never used them; as I've seen a lot of them as nice as yours!

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
c3006
User

Looks in the 90s but like you 98% seems to be pushing it. Still a great first pistol.
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Railsplitter
User

Nice lookin' gun and a great start !
Railsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Obviously a late 1937 model since the small parts are blued and not strawed... 1937 was a transition year for that change... A VERY nice Luger. Congrats!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Zamo
User

I couldn't resist any longer. I went out into the back yard and pumped 6 rounds into an old stump with this Luger today. Everything worked flawlessly, and the pistole 08 is now back in it's climate controlled gunsafe, freshly cleaned and oiled, and will probably not be fired again within the foreseeable future now that I have my old clunker DWM.
I live in an area where it is legal to shoot, but just barely, and out of respect for my neighbors (all understanding sportsmen) I only fired a few "fam fire" rounds, and called it a day. Hopefully I can get out to a legitimate shooting range or friendly gravel pit tomorrow, and really excercies the 1917 shooter.
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome to the Lugeritis Club. You have indeed been bitten by the bug. Enjoy!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
383 magnum
User

Nice Luger! I wouldn't call that 98-percent condition either but still in excellent condition.
383 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
DaveinTN
User

Zamo,

I looks like you've passed the initiation! Congratulations!

I'm very impressed with your photos too. What type of camera do you have and what is your light source(s)? Also, are you using a tripod?

I've taken more than 50 photos of my two pistols (you'll find you'll be taking lots of photos of yours too) and none have come out as crisp and nicely lit as yours.

Thanks in advance for sharing your photo tips,

Dave in TN.
DaveinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
Zamo
User

I have a Nikon D50 SLR, with a Quantaray 18-200mm lens and a Nikon Speedlight SB600 flash. Quantaray is pretty much the Kia or Kmart of lenses, it's pretty much Kit's Camera/Ritz's housebrand, and most photographers hiss and cross themselves when they hear the word. I however, being far too much of an amateur to know better, consistantly get praise for my shots all around. I have nothing bad to say about Quantaray, and as you are about the 20th person to compliment me in the year I've owned it, I can only imagine what I might do with a real lens.
I must admit, that the pictures in this thread were taken (on a paper cutter, on my picnic table) outdoors on a clear October day. Regardless of what the subject matter is, I learned a long time ago that there is no light like sunlight when it comes to photography. I also learned that background can make or break a picture, and I thought the black grid on a (off)white background would accent the black of the pistol nicely.
I'd looked at a lot of Luger pictures, and knew which ones I thought were cool, and which ones were mediocre.
I have found that whether I'm talking still shots of a Luger, or action shots of a motocross race, it's all about composition. I've never taken a class or read a book about photography, and don't consider myself anything but the bottom level of novice, but I know what I think looks good, and that seems to be in line with a lot of other peoples tastes as well.

As to initiations, I have previously had two Lugers in the past (an S/42 K date, and a 1920 Commercial if I recall correctly), both of which I wish I had never parted with. I've bought two Lugers in the last two months (this S/42, and a thrashed 1917 DWM), and I already have plans to buy two more (an artillery shooter, and a navy shooter) as soon as I finish my wife's kitchen remodel (and can find them). So I assume there is no hope for me and I am as condemed as the rest of you...What a fate!