LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 07-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default New Project! For shooters!

Hello to all! Well, as you all pretty much already know, I have recently been learning, and applying what I'm learning, in the art of Luger barrel replacement! I have always wanted to make my own barrels, but have lacked the machines to properly mill the barrel bands and sight bases, plus the other secondary operations necessary for a quality barrel..... The more re-barreling work I do, the less interested in collecting I've become, so I am starting to think quite a ways out of the box so to speak... ... So, I thought, why not make a Sport Target shooter set up, comparatively low cost, with as simple of features that can be preformed, but still add up to a better target set up then what the Luger was originally designed for?.....So, I have teamed up with Olle on the forum, to help me in the milling operations he is so very capable of. And I can perform all the lathe, and of course fitting and indexing operations to both start and finish the project! ..... ... And, with this post, I am confident to say, Olle has been exceeding my expectations!!! And it appears this joint project will indeed come to pass! Certainly at least for a few sets unless we encounter unforeseen difficulties? My main worry at this point is overall barrel mass? It doesn't take too long of a bull barrel configuration to make the Luger somewhat un-reliable, and I used to have this discussion with John V. Martz... He had actually made a long barrel and cut it down until it was reliable with out changing any other aspect of the gun....It got pretty short! That is why my one of a kind John V. Martz 5" .30 slab side barrel custom Target Luger has slab sides?? He didn't think it would work, and I didn't know, but it did, and does, work well! So, basically, (our initial offering) will be a 9mm, 4" 5" or 6" barrel approx. .800" in dia, bull barrel with slab cut sides, and a front sight base cut directly into the top barrel dia. We are nearly finished with the first 4" prototype and it will have a square top front sight blade and a u cut notch (same as some Swiss) on the original rear sight. Other options will come available as they prove worthy.. Hopefully Olle can post a few pictures of the prototype operations, both to show the quality and amount of effort that goes into a project that appears simple, but is far from it when the tools actually meet the steel! More later! Let me know at: gctomeks@msn.com if you have any interest in one! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: