LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,186 Posts
Default French hunting rifle ca. 1850s

Hi,

While being bored, I took my father's old hunting rifle from the mantle piece and decided to look for some proof marks or maker's identification.

The rifle is a nice example of a twin barrel frontloading boar hunting gun, with percussion caps and a double **** double trigger layout. A boars head is carved into the stock. It lacks the rod and the wood is split underneath the lockwork.

On the sides of the lockwork two names are engraved, most likely the owners name and occupation 'A. Moulins' 'Faulconnier'.

On the bottom of the barrel there is the st. Etienne proof without cartouche, a '24' marking and a marking which resembles 7DI or ZDI.

Both barrels are marked '102' at the rear barrel plug, as are both separate lock mechanisms. I expect 102 is the gun's serial number and it's matching

It has a name, something in the line of 'Hertog Bartoulliert', stamped or rolled into the barrel on a place covered by the stock.

Perhaps one of our French forum members can shed some light on the history of this gun?
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote