LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 01-19-2005, 02:18 AM   #21
Big Norm
RIP

Lugerdoc,
just guessing, but I bet that that pharmacist ends up becoming a stalker and Brie uses the gun on him somehow. She is NRA, so if she can get his middle toe without too much effort, then she could get him between the eyes later.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:36 AM   #22
Big Norm
RIP

Dwight,
I don't think that the Actors Guild allows real guns on a set. This rule goes back to James Cagney. Before him, they used real guns, real ammo and real sharp shooters. But I don't know what the rules are. This Luger probably came out of a prop warehouse. I don't believe that we actually saw this Luger fire. We just heard the sound.
Big Norm
Unread 01-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #23
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Big Norm,

I don't know about TV but I was an extra in a movie several years ago (The General's Daughter) and the M16s were real, although they may have been deactivated in some manner. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #24
Big Norm
RIP

Karl,
real guns may be used. I don't know what the rule or safety measures that may have to be taken. I remember that, maybe two years ago, the son of a famous kick boxer shot himself while making a kung fo movie. Somebody slip a real bullet into his gun.

I also remember that James Cagney lead a strike once protesting that live ammo was used in making cowboy and gangster movies. This caused some changes in the movie business. In his days, sharp shooters were used to break pots and things on movie sets to add realizm during movie shoot outs. Those little explosive devices that are now used did not exist in those days. Now this was in the 1920's.

So maybe real guns are used. Maybe some weapons are deactivated. I have to admit that during the making of the movie "Sargant York" a Luger was used because a Colt 1911 could not handle blanks. The real Sargant York actually used a 1911 to shoot the bad guy in the real war.

Maybe simeone on this forum can shed some light on the current rules regarding this subject.
Big Norm
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #25
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Default I Believe...

You are thinking of Brandon Lee, son of famous Kung Fu master Bruce Lee. No kick boxing master. The process by which the live round got into the gun was really convoluted and would almost be a plot for a mystery movie in itself...
Unread 05-16-2005, 06:01 AM   #26
Steinar
User

Tor; you might want to add "Tarzan and Jane" to the movie list also..

..note the rare right-side safety

..custom oversized extractor + stainless steel barrel

Unread 05-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #27
DougT
User

Hi all,

Not exactly a Luger scene, but in the fairly recent movie "Hart's War" there is a part where Bruce Willis' character picks up and very quickly assembles the Nazi commandant's field stripped P-38. He then points it at the commandant, and the ensuing conversation is quite clever. Check it out!

DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #28
Big Norm
RIP

Morgan,
I am so happy to hear from you again. I was worried that your Luger pistol would freeze and break into little pieces when you tried to shoot it in that frozen land that you vacation in. I tried to find the islands that you play in on some tourist maps that my lady friend in Borheim sent to me but these maps are not very good and I was unsuccessful. Personally, if I were to move to someplace other than where I live, I would want to move to someplace where the women walk around in bikinis and short skirts all day long. It helps me to keep my heart healthy by making in beat a lot more.(HEE! HEE!). A person has to think of their health.
Norm
Unread 05-17-2005, 12:11 AM   #29
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Default Law and Order, as well...

A recent episode of Law and Order featured talk of a Luger being used to kill someone, but it was not shown. My favorite is an episode of Perry Mason where a Luger was part of the case. Perry proved a woman didn't commit the crime when he proved she couldn't **** the Luger...
Unread 05-17-2005, 04:03 PM   #30
Steinar
User

Big Norm,
The Luger survived the Svalbard winter I fired it a few times when the temperature was around -35 'C, with very thin oil, it worked quite well. When the temperature was lower than that, I didn't try it.. The narrow finger guard, makes it hard to use gloves. Cold metal against skinn is not the best combination I know the germans sometimes used a special winter trigger, like this one on a Mauser M/98 http://my.qxl.no/accdb/viewItem.asp?IDI=18058327 , but probably not on the Lugers..
(http://my.qxl.no/accdb/viewItem.asp?IDI=18144196 <- M1 Garand)

It's always nice to see women walk around in bikinis When a women in more arctic places are undressing.. it's almost as exciting as opening a x-mas gift, with a chance to get disappointed
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #31
Rod WMG
User

That winter trigger is so simple a solution. It's like cruise control: "Why didn't I think of that???"
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2005, 01:18 AM   #32
Big Norm
RIP

Morgan,
minus 35 degrees. With all due respects to your obvious manhood, your crazy to be in that cold of a place. You say it even gets colder than that? Svalbard does not sound like a fun place. I don't want to go someplace where I don't have to put ice cubes in my high balls. You take care, you hear. I don't want to hear about a nice gentleman like you catching a cold or something in Svalbard. Better to go into southern Norway and pay the taxes.
With great respect, Big Norm
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:47 AM   #33
John -Melb
User

Big Norm, last January I spent a week at Tidal River on Wilson's Promontory and four young ladies at a camp near ours spent the week dressed as you describe. Nothing personal but Morgan can keep his minus 35!

Regarding Lugers in movies, there's a good scene in the ANZACs mini-series where Paul Hogan's character goes "ratting" with an Arty.
John -Melb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #34
Big Norm
RIP

John-Melb,
I have a Norwegian tourist book that talks a little bit about Svalbard. Norway is a narrow country that goes way past the Arctic Circle and Svalbard is w-a-a-y out in the Atlantic ocean and well separated from Norway. It is a l-o-o-n-g swim to either Norway or Iceland. I don't see how a polar bear could possibly swim there but they are there. I suspect that minus 35 degrees might seem like summer at times up there during the winter. But you know, the Minnesota and Dakota folks face some pretty bad winters too. Personally, I dream of Florida without its hurricanes, crockidaters and sink holes.
Big Norm
Unread 05-25-2005, 12:43 PM   #35
MrLWJ
User

Talking

Two Points, real weapons are used very often in movies and TV.
Case in point was a few years ago when a bonehead actor was in bed for a scene. Before cameras rolled he was playing with a wheel gun and put it up to his head and fired. The wadding at close range from the blank made a very fine hole thru his cranium, He died a few hours later.
The second point is a missing movie from the list.
Possibly, IMHO the best WW2 film made, John Frankenheimers, "The Train"
Starring Burt Lancaster. If you have never seen it make the effort, it is based on a real situation, and was made extremely well, right down to the actual blowing up of a FULL RAIL YARD. The french wanted to reguage the yard so let em blow it up for cash.
Larry

MrLWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #36
Rod WMG
User

Yes, people have been killed/hurt from blanks. The danger is very real.

Playing with guns is a bozo no-no!
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #37
Steinar
User

Big Norm, impressive that you actually have a Norwegian tourist book!
A few years ago, I bought a car in NY and ended up in SF two months later, had a great vacation! Many beautiful places and some great memories from that trip.
btw. the polar bears are great swimmers, but they dont swim all the way to norway.. there are no polar bears here
Unread 05-27-2005, 01:16 AM   #38
G.W. Gill
User

Mr. Kane. , How goes the hurt? While your laid up give us another tale of that cold wilderness. Thanks, Gill.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #39
Steinar
User

Gill, my hand is good again now Thanks for the interest.
Wish I had a heroic story where I broke my wrist fighting a bear, but it was only me trying to drive a snowmobile in the dark Can see if can upload some pictures when I get the chance
Unread 05-27-2005, 11:47 PM   #40
G.W. Gill
User

Thanks, I didn't get a tour book, but I did look it up. I was very isolated and looked like a great place to be. I am on the other side of the spectrum. Hot, need a big insulated cup of iced tea. Thanks for trying to get pictures for our viewing pleasure. Glad your feeling better. Gill
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote