LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 05-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #21
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I guess they didn't have flash lights yet!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

...and the shiny mag body wasn't enough to reflect light? Somehow I doubt that wives tale about the reflective disk...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 05-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #23
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Doubt it all you like. It's true. AND it works. The disk is highly polished and reflective unlike mag bodies. The Swiss and Dutch were highly innovative and requested many changes to German design. But lets say it's NOT to help find dropped magazines in low light..then what conceivable reason is it for? Remember the Swiss constantly tried to simplify and improve..putting these discs in mag bottoms is not simpler.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #24
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

...to make it easier to tell at a glance that there is a magazine in the gun...a similar visual cue to the polished safety marking...

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 05-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #25
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Dwight, good point! I have forgotten where it was written that it was to spot lost magazines in the dark but your point could well be in addition to mine.
I am pretty sure the Swiss did not do this for no reason.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 05-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #26
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
...and the shiny mag body wasn't enough to reflect light? Somehow I doubt that wives tale about the reflective disk...
In fact I agree.
Unread 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #27
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It;s easy to say that's NOT what it's for. What IS it for then? It's NOT for nothing.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 05-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #28
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Perhaps it is "for nothing", just decorative?
Unread 05-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #29
Eugen
User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
It;s easy to say that's NOT what it's for. What IS it for then? It's NOT for nothing.
Good point. But, while I am new to Lugers, I still can't understand why anyone would want to add shiny, potentially reflective components to a tactical weapon that could give away one's position. What Army would do that?
Unread 05-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #30
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Swiss Luger's were housed in fully enclosed holsters. When the pistol was employed the reflective disc was the least noticeable thing..

No it was NOT "decorative"

I am wasting my time here. You must be aware of Swiss history and the Luger pistol or all this is lost. The Swiss made all modifications from German design for "specific"
reasons. They made many design changes. None of them enhanced the beauty of the pistol.Their intent was to improve function and ease manufacture. In this they were wildly successful. But to cavalierly state that this disc was placed there for either no reason at all or for "decorative" purposes denies the history of Swiss interest in the German Luger.
Lazy thinking for any of these spurious arguments. I expect a little more intuitive critical analysis from you guys.
Inserting this disc added considerable time, trouble and expense. Decorative? For no reason? These responses are not well thought out and on the wrong side of known history.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

The following 4 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 05-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #31
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Doubt it all you like. It's true. AND it works. The disk is highly polished and reflective unlike mag bodies. The Swiss and Dutch were highly innovative and requested many changes to German design. But lets say it's NOT to help find dropped magazines in low light..then what conceivable reason is it for? Remember the Swiss constantly tried to simplify and improve..putting these discs in mag bottoms is not simpler.
I believe that this response has been "thought through" Jerry. Please lighten up a little. Opinions are like elbows... and everybody has some.

I think the "original" design which had two concave surfaces was intended to fit the convex surfaces of the thumb and finger tips. Nothing more and nothing less. The protruding "knobs" at the bottom of the magazine were a departure from any gun magazine designs of the period, I am sure they had a decorative or aesthetic purpose as well, and that would be to complement the unusual, graceful, and completely unique mechanical engineering design of the toggle top semi-automatic pistol we all know and love.

As far as the metal disk that was added by the Swiss? I also admire Swiss precision and believe it to be functional, but not to make a dropped magazine easier to find in the dark.

How many Luger magazines have you come across in your collecting that had been dropped and had large chips of wood missing including the edge of the knob? I think the Swiss knob with only a raised edge and flat bottom is a stronger design that might be stronger and more resistant to chipping the entire bottom if dropped. I also believe that the gluing of that metal disk onto the flat recess, not only looks good but provides reinforcement to the mag bottom, making a dropped magazine more likely to chip only the edge of the knob.

I also remember that this knob design was a continuation and evolution of the type of magazine bottom that was originally used on the Luger's predecessor... the Borchardt, Only smaller and more appropriate for the Pistole Parabellum re-design.

BTW, I have never considered any time you have spent here, or any contributions you have made to the Luger collecting community to be a waste of time, and doubt anyone else has either...

Just my $0.02, but not everyone bothers with pennies these days.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 05-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #32
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Swiss Luger's were housed in fully enclosed holsters. When the pistol was employed the reflective disc was the least noticeable thing..

No it was NOT "decorative"

I am wasting my time here. You must be aware of Swiss history and the Luger pistol or all this is lost. The Swiss made all modifications from German design for "specific"
reasons. They made many design changes. None of them enhanced the beauty of the pistol.Their intent was to improve function and ease manufacture. In this they were wildly successful. But to cavalierly state that this disc was placed there for either no reason at all or for "decorative" purposes denies the history of Swiss interest in the German Luger.
Lazy thinking for any of these spurious arguments. I expect a little more intuitive critical analysis from you guys.
Inserting this disc added considerable time, trouble and expense. Decorative? For no reason? These responses are not well thought out and on the wrong side of known history.
Jerry,
just because you don't like my answer does not mean it was not "well thought out".

I can think of no reasonable "reason" to put that metal disc in the
magazine pull.

It is strange and I have always thought it redundant and of no purpose.

Perhaps you can create a list of possibilities for its presence or use, I can't.

You are absolutely correct that it took extra time and expense.

If it had a significant , important use- why was it later eliminated from the Swiss magazines?
Unread 05-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #33
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Lighten up? John, You know me better than some others..I am nothing if not passionate when I believe in my side of a discussion. Luke warm is not a temperature I am used to using.

but not to make a dropped magazine easier to find in the dark. And why not? The argument that it's decorative? PLEASE..let us drop that one into the ash can once and for all. There were no Ladies on the Swiss ordenance boards. That is less than any kind of argument. Remember..COST. Function of a military weapon of war. THESE were the primary goals.

The disc in my opinion does not make the wooden bottom stronger. By insertion of this thin disk the edges become thin and vulnerable. Impact onto the edges of a metal disc inserted could very well make the wood extremely fragile. But for argument sake lets say it does. WHY then not make it black? BECAUSE that was not it's function.. It is as highly reflective as a glass mirror. This trait was not by accident.

I think the "original" design which had two concave surfaces was intended to fit the convex surfaces of the thumb and finger tips. Yes..undoubtably..BUT these shiny discs on either side lend a slick slippery center. The OPPOSITE of the Imperial Navy concentric rings/circles. IF this known advantage were to be sacraficed it had to be for a good reason. NOT cosmetic.

Advantages must be weighed against disadvantages . When you think about this from a strictly Military point of view..there is only one conclusion and that's the inevitable conclusion that these discs are highly reflective for one reason only. It was a visual cue.

If it had a significant , important use- why was it later eliminated from the Swiss magazine? Don, Anyone familiar with Military boards, manufacturing or design knows that perceptions of faults or advantages change over time. There are any number of reasons for it's elimination. It didn't work as well as hoped. It was found to be too costly. The reasons one could dream up are likely in the dozens. That it was once incorporated..THAT WAS for a reason.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 05-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #34
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Me and my big mouth! Interesting~ Two that chose neither!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maggg 005.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	59219  

Unread 05-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #35
DonVoigt
User

Ok Jerry,
What was that compelling reason?

Just give us one or two reasons that have some logic behind them.

I agree that it was not to find them in the dark, but for the life of me can't think of a reason to put them there in the first place.

It also makes no sense to me that the concentric rings of the Navy mags are there because they make a "better"-meaning less slippery or firmer or ??- grip on the magazine.
Unread 05-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #36
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Maybe there is no real reason!!!!! The End~~
Unread 05-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #37
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

I tried a little experiment. I assembled this little pile of magazines, both dish and ring based, and turned out the lights. Guess what? I couldn't see any of them! Seriously though, the ring based magazine preceded the dish based type which was presumably introduced by the Army because it was easier (read cheaper) to make. The Navy stayed with the ring based design, tradition you know.
Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3201.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	59228  

Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 05-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #38
DonVoigt
User

Norm,
I can't find the Swiss mag - even with the light on!

Tradition is a good reason, but in the Swiss case, the first mags they received did not have the shiny disc. Maybe they just wanted to be able to distinguish the "better/newer" Swiss mags from the crappy old German magazines?
Unread 05-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #39
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Don, I started with one reason and I remain a supporter of it. Several other reasonable theory's have emerged..That the disc is a visual cue cannot be doubted or discounted. That it is highly reflective supports my position. If it were meant to distinguish one era of magazine from another has no merit for a couple of reasons. A visual cue of that small degree requires no reflection. Just a muted color would suffice. Paint of almost any light color would do the trick. A highly reflective metal disc..was for an altogether different use.
Secondly..if German magazines were defective enough to be distinguished from Swiss..they would more likely be discarded or sold.
Nope..No other reason for this disc.
But I have had my say. I won't go on and on trying to convince anyone. If I have not made my case by now.. I never will.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 05-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #40
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron