LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Alx
User

Default Luger Dummies, where to find ?

What I mean, is dummy Lugers, reproductions that have the EXACT form and size of a Luger, to put in vintage holsters to keep their shape. There are at least two sources of wooden magazines for that purpose, which are a good idea to keep in holsters.
At the Louisville show a few years ago, I found a plastic dummy Luger, perfect shape and extremely detailed. It had some mold flashing that I removed and filed smooth, but otherwise it was ideal
Since then I have seen some other plastic dummies, 'bought one and returned it, that are noticeably smaller, like the plastic shrunk after it was taken from the mold.
Another "dummy", oddly, is a high-quality (pot) metal airsoft Luger by a Taiwanese company called WE, that shoots plastic BBs, the gun costing around $100. Amazing thing, is that not only is it is an exact repro, exact size and shape, but its action is extremely similar to a Luger. It's even made of parts similar and field strips like a P08, not that it matters when used as a holster stuffer.
I still like the plastic dummy better, and even though it is so light, I think that makes it a better stuffer. Anyone know of a source of exact dummy Lugers ? ,or have one to sell ?
I could use a total of four more ...
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Plastic dummies were recently on eBay..

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Alx
User

They are the undersized ones, I believe, like I mentioned. I bought one and returned it, noticeably smaller in every dimension, like overall shrinkage.

I also have seen metal Luger copies by Denix, which are even more expensive than the airsoft WE P08.
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I wondered..Looked good in the photo's!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The solid aluminum dummies I have seen were made decades ago and are getting to be collectibles themselves... I wouldn't hold out hope on finding one that is cheap. Do some research on sand molds and make some out of aluminum cans.

You can use the plastic one or the airsoft gun that you have as the model.

They don't have to be pretty, just have to be the right shape. Even some mold imperfections shouldn't matter much if their only purpose is to keep a holster from losing it's shape.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I am offended! Dummy indeed

i have seen several different sizes of the metal ones, the war year ones made for the military are full size? The one or two I have, I am pretty sure are slightly smaller?

hmmm, anyone know of a way to copy a luger, the old way of sand molding and then hot lead or whatever would work, but unless some kind of injection plastic molding I imagine it would get too expensive?

So, if we could copy a real one, then inject mold it (I think that is the term) so it was either hollow (saving money) or solid hard rubber or plastic where it was the right size. I would imagine that like many of these, the end has to be 'red or orange' so it is obvious it is not a real gun.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Have you checked with the large police supply houses that carry the Blue Training guns?

BTW, a large number of those aluminum, pot metal full size replicas, painted black, came out of the MGM auction in the 1970s. They were used to arm extras who were in the background in movie scenes. I once owned a Colt SAA replica that came out of the MGM auction.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I looked, I thought it slightly smaller, I have a half size, very toy looking one and this one (note, there is a real luger under it) - I think these life like ones are going for around $50 on the collector market...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130723_154240.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	35036  

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Alx
User

These three photos are of the airsoft WE Luger. They also make Navy and Art'y versions. VERY much like the originals. There is a silver version, 'seen photos, but not in the hand, so it might be just silver paint. One photo shows a customized WE airsoft, steel-wooled, and "aged" to look real. Notice the threads inside the muzzle, 'gives it away as an airsoft.
There are brown plastic grips that look lot like wood, made by WE, but some users have routed out the backside of wood Luger grips to fit as well.

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Alx
User

'Seems like there would be considerable interest in getting some of these, among the collectors on the board who have fine holsters to preserve.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

You can get a Luger Blue Gun from these people:

http://www.bluegunstore.com/?page_id...roducts_id=134

I don't know if it's accurately sized, but these are typically used for training and holster making. It looks like the copy has DDR grips on it... $40 each... I have no interest in the company.

Marc
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I have been considered a Luger dummy for years, and yes, I do seem to be shrinking.
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Alx
User

Ron, you would like the WE airsoft Luger, it is chamber dated 1915, each part is numbered 15, (although there is no frame serial #) and it is quite rare to not have a toggle stamp, so it could be engraved SPANDAU.
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Alx
User

The Bluegun Lugers, .... thank you Marc, that seems ideal ... their website says they are made of blue plastic, and have an optional black finish .... No phone number there, so I might ask of anyone, what is the black finish ? re. paint, dye, or is the whole gun molded in black plastic for that option ? For some reason, I'd prefer the black, but not if it were likely to shed or rub off.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

This gentlemen makes wood luger dummies. korona45@yahoo.com
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Alx, I own a few of the Blue Guns in other models (1911; Beretta 92F) for my training classes. They are solid molded, and almost exact replicas in the right size. I'm not sure how they would make them black.

There is no price difference between blue and black, so it's unlikely a separate process step is involved (like painting). My guess (only) is that they mold black plastic. It would be best to ask them through their online form...

If you get a Luger from them, let me know how it works out...

Marc
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Alx
User

I will ask of them, about the black "finish" Blue Guns ....
and I'd be really curious about the wood Lugers ...
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I have a half dozen of the wooden pistols Kris Antzak made for me..I like them a lot but I can't say if he is making any more? You would have to check. He also makes those great wooden luger magazine fillers.

korona45@yahoo.com

Thanks Bill!

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 07-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
Alx
User

OK thanks ... and as for the wood magazines, I have recently bought some that were over-sized, and were too tight a fit; stretching the leather on a hundred-year-old holster and pulling the stitches seems more harmful than good. Besides being a bit too large in cross-section, their round bases were placed way too far back, to close to the flat spine, and would not seat into the notch of the pocket. They would just deform the pccket and stretch the leather and seams. After sending them back, I then bought five wooden mags from another source, and four were correct in size ( cross-section ) but one was a bit small. However all of them had over-sized bases, placed again too far back toward the rear flat spine, and they were overall shorter than a real magazine with a bullet in it, as well as having a top profile that was not at all equal to a real magazine.
The whole point of a wood magazine, I believe, is to replicate a real magazine and keep the entire leather pocket in the habit of holding a full magazine so the leather does not crush or collapse.
Anyway, I removed the oversized round bases, and put some smaller bases on, made from 1/2" oak dowel cut to 1-7/8" length. The half-inch dowel is a bit smaller than the real thing, but better to use than oversize, since the pockets' notches will not be subject to deformation as long as the base fits into them and the magazine bottoms out, touching the bottom of the pocket. (Dowels at the local hardware stores run in fractional inch sizes rather than metric, and I did not want to go thru the steps to mill down oversized oak dowels.
Also 'had to move the magazine bases forward by enlarging the round seat of the bases, relocating the bases forward, then filling the space behind with wood and putty to restore the shape. Then I filed (belt-sanded) some of those orange plastic 9mm practice rounds and glued/pinned them (23 gauge trim finish pins air-nailed ) to the top of the magazines to replicate the shape and length of a loaded magazine.
I noticed that my WWI holsters had such snug mag pockets that even the follower button had made a small expression in the leather where it showed a full magazine had long ago been kept for enough time to imprint its shape. I then found some stainless steel screws with heads the diameter of the mag follower button and located it where it would be on a loaded magazine. 'Had to file the head a little flatter after it was put in the wood, but now the customized wood magazine fits the pocket nearly perfect, fills it without stretching any more, and touches the bottom of the pocket with the fake plastic round-nose bullet, while the base rests in the notch.
'Quite alot of messing about with a simple wood magazine, and they are sort of ugly, but that is what it took to make a useful substitute out of the wood mags I bought, without just starting over from scratch. The basic wood shape was already a good start.

Unread 07-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

3-D printing!
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote